Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 426 Times in 260 Posts
Default Slower Ballista Pro?

I'm debating making the switch away from Ballistas & Ballista Pros. While my best throws are with Ballistas & B Pros, there are also some rounds that all I do is alternate between early releasing and grip locking. It's maddening. If I would just suck with the discs all the time then I would KNOW I need to switch, but then I follow up terrible rounds with days that I crush 'em.

Anywho, I think the Speed 14 discs are just a tad too wide for me to consistently release day in and day out. I bag a Wraith and a couple CD3's for those tweener throws that require more than fairway driver distance but more accuracy than a max distance disc. Wraiths/CD3's go about 340' on golf lines for me (measured, not internet distance). Ballistas/Pros go 360'+ on good days, but on days where my release is inconsistent they're all over the place.

What I'm looking for is a max distance disc with similar stability to a Ballista Pro but with a slightly narrower rim. I know Destroyer is the obvious answer, but Destroyers always felt a little too deep for me to comfortably grip. Is the Raider a possible answer? Or maybe Shryke? Nuke?

I feel like I'm splitting hairs at this point, but there are holes I regularly play that I just can't get in the circle with a Wraith/CD3 but can with a well thrown Ballista/B Pro. So I'm searching for that purple unicorn of a disc -- something as long as a Speed 14 with decent stability but with a rim easier to release consistently. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts

That is quite the conundrum. Have you tried a Sword or Trespass? They might have a touch more turn to get you the similar distance.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-22-2019, 09:43 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,231 Times in 1,046 Posts

I'm sure this disc exists but I can't think of it. I'd probably try the Prodigy D-series drivers, they feel a little smaller than Destros to me and there's probably some type of D1 or D2 that will fill the Ballista Pro slot. The Giant isn't a bad option either and I think the Boatman is underrated. But the Ballista Pro does a grab job of combining good stability with good glide still. Kind of does make it unicorny.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 136 Times in 85 Posts

X2 is a 22mm wing (I believe) with a 11mm depth with the OS amount (generally) that the Bal-Pro has. But not quite the glide IMO.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Niced 293 Times in 192 Posts

D series is a little wider rim than Destros. X series is a little smaller, but also very thin discs.
If you wanted to stay Trilogy the one Raider I've thrown was very good.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:51 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I'm sure this disc exists but I can't think of it. I'd probably try the Prodigy D-series drivers, they feel a little smaller than Destros to me and there's probably some type of D1 or D2 that will fill the Ballista Pro slot. The Giant isn't a bad option either and I think the Boatman is underrated. But the Ballista Pro does a grab job of combining good stability with good glide still. Kind of does make it unicorny.
I was thinking Boatman as well but thought the Sword might go farther... not sure. That and a beat Giant could both work.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:59 PM
Verified Jurkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I was thinking Boatman as well but thought the Sword might go farther... not sure. That and a beat Giant could both work.
If he said regular Ballista then Sword all day, for sure. The difference between Pro and regular is like Eagle X and L. The BP is IME really good HSS and then depending on plastic either beefy enough for some flex shots (Opto) or straight to late fade Teebirdy (RGL). Some sort of Giant should work but it might take some trial and error. My beat RGL Giant is more understable than my beat Opto Ballista for example. I would guess a seasoned, domey VIP Giant for BP duty and a TP Giant for OG Ballista.

The Ballistas make the Giant look as aerodynamic as a VW bus though. They just cut through the air.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-23-2019, 12:21 AM
Eagle Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've never thrown any Prodigy discs, but I'll look into the D2 and X2. Any plastic types in particular?
Regarding Trespasses, I've actually got a couple already. They fly basically the same as my CD3's but with more lateral wriggle. Never thrown Swords or Giants but I've got a buddy that bags both. I'll see if he's got spares that I could chuck around for a bit.

And to clarify, it's definitely the Ballista Pro that I have the most grip consistency issues with and, as such, would like to audition potential replacements. Regular Ballistas are more comfortable in the hand and I get a more consistent release out of them. While both molds are super wide-rimmed, the Pro version is deeper and has a higher shoulder that combined with the rim width makes it tough to grip consistently. It amazes me that Paige B. crushes them so well since her hands appear tiny.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:25 AM
Eagle Member

How do Giants compare to the other Speed 13 Trilogy molds? In particular: Sheriffs, Raiders, and Biofuzion Defenders?

Old 06-23-2019, 01:04 AM
Verified Jurkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've never thrown any Prodigy discs, but I'll look into the D2 and X2. Any plastic types in particular?
Regarding Trespasses, I've actually got a couple already. They fly basically the same as my CD3's but with more lateral wriggle. Never thrown Swords or Giants but I've got a buddy that bags both. I'll see if he's got spares that I could chuck around for a bit.

And to clarify, it's definitely the Ballista Pro that I have the most grip consistency issues with and, as such, would like to audition potential replacements. Regular Ballistas are more comfortable in the hand and I get a more consistent release out of them. While both molds are super wide-rimmed, the Pro version is deeper and has a higher shoulder that combined with the rim width makes it tough to grip consistently. It amazes me that Paige B. crushes them so well since her hands appear tiny.
FWIW the RGL Bally Pro doesn't feel as big in my hand as my Opto Bally Pro does. Could just be in my head, I dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
How do Giants compare to the other Speed 13 Trilogy molds? In particular: Sheriffs, Raiders, and Biofuzion Defenders?
Can't help, sorry.