#1  
Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 PM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 712
Niced 426 Times in 260 Posts
Default Slower Ballista Pro?

I'm debating making the switch away from Ballistas & Ballista Pros. While my best throws are with Ballistas & B Pros, there are also some rounds that all I do is alternate between early releasing and grip locking. It's maddening. If I would just suck with the discs all the time then I would KNOW I need to switch, but then I follow up terrible rounds with days that I crush 'em.

Anywho, I think the Speed 14 discs are just a tad too wide for me to consistently release day in and day out. I bag a Wraith and a couple CD3's for those tweener throws that require more than fairway driver distance but more accuracy than a max distance disc. Wraiths/CD3's go about 340' on golf lines for me (measured, not internet distance). Ballistas/Pros go 360'+ on good days, but on days where my release is inconsistent they're all over the place.

What I'm looking for is a max distance disc with similar stability to a Ballista Pro but with a slightly narrower rim. I know Destroyer is the obvious answer, but Destroyers always felt a little too deep for me to comfortably grip. Is the Raider a possible answer? Or maybe Shryke? Nuke?

I feel like I'm splitting hairs at this point, but there are holes I regularly play that I just can't get in the circle with a Wraith/CD3 but can with a well thrown Ballista/B Pro. So I'm searching for that purple unicorn of a disc -- something as long as a Speed 14 with decent stability but with a rim easier to release consistently. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Moose33 Moose33 is offline
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,202
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts
Default

That is quite the conundrum. Have you tried a Sword or Trespass? They might have a touch more turn to get you the similar distance.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2019, 09:43 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Verified Jurkface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macedonian Troll Farm
Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,060
Niced 2,231 Times in 1,046 Posts
Default

I'm sure this disc exists but I can't think of it. I'd probably try the Prodigy D-series drivers, they feel a little smaller than Destros to me and there's probably some type of D1 or D2 that will fill the Ballista Pro slot. The Giant isn't a bad option either and I think the Boatman is underrated. But the Ballista Pro does a grab job of combining good stability with good glide still. Kind of does make it unicorny.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Karl Karl is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 878
Niced 136 Times in 85 Posts
Default

X2 is a 22mm wing (I believe) with a 11mm depth with the OS amount (generally) that the Bal-Pro has. But not quite the glide IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 PM
texasissouth's Avatar
texasissouth texasissouth is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Years Playing: 4.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 716
Niced 293 Times in 192 Posts
Default

D series is a little wider rim than Destros. X series is a little smaller, but also very thin discs.
If you wanted to stay Trilogy the one Raider I've thrown was very good.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2019, 11:51 PM
Moose33 Moose33 is offline
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,202
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I'm sure this disc exists but I can't think of it. I'd probably try the Prodigy D-series drivers, they feel a little smaller than Destros to me and there's probably some type of D1 or D2 that will fill the Ballista Pro slot. The Giant isn't a bad option either and I think the Boatman is underrated. But the Ballista Pro does a grab job of combining good stability with good glide still. Kind of does make it unicorny.
I was thinking Boatman as well but thought the Sword might go farther... not sure. That and a beat Giant could both work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2019, 11:59 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Verified Jurkface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macedonian Troll Farm
Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,060
Niced 2,231 Times in 1,046 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I was thinking Boatman as well but thought the Sword might go farther... not sure. That and a beat Giant could both work.
If he said regular Ballista then Sword all day, for sure. The difference between Pro and regular is like Eagle X and L. The BP is IME really good HSS and then depending on plastic either beefy enough for some flex shots (Opto) or straight to late fade Teebirdy (RGL). Some sort of Giant should work but it might take some trial and error. My beat RGL Giant is more understable than my beat Opto Ballista for example. I would guess a seasoned, domey VIP Giant for BP duty and a TP Giant for OG Ballista.

The Ballistas make the Giant look as aerodynamic as a VW bus though. They just cut through the air.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2019, 12:21 AM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 712
Niced 426 Times in 260 Posts
Default

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've never thrown any Prodigy discs, but I'll look into the D2 and X2. Any plastic types in particular?
Regarding Trespasses, I've actually got a couple already. They fly basically the same as my CD3's but with more lateral wriggle. Never thrown Swords or Giants but I've got a buddy that bags both. I'll see if he's got spares that I could chuck around for a bit.

And to clarify, it's definitely the Ballista Pro that I have the most grip consistency issues with and, as such, would like to audition potential replacements. Regular Ballistas are more comfortable in the hand and I get a more consistent release out of them. While both molds are super wide-rimmed, the Pro version is deeper and has a higher shoulder that combined with the rim width makes it tough to grip consistently. It amazes me that Paige B. crushes them so well since her hands appear tiny.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2019, 12:25 AM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 712
Niced 426 Times in 260 Posts
Default

How do Giants compare to the other Speed 13 Trilogy molds? In particular: Sheriffs, Raiders, and Biofuzion Defenders?
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 06-23-2019, 01:04 AM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Verified Jurkface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macedonian Troll Farm
Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,060
Niced 2,231 Times in 1,046 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've never thrown any Prodigy discs, but I'll look into the D2 and X2. Any plastic types in particular?
Regarding Trespasses, I've actually got a couple already. They fly basically the same as my CD3's but with more lateral wriggle. Never thrown Swords or Giants but I've got a buddy that bags both. I'll see if he's got spares that I could chuck around for a bit.

And to clarify, it's definitely the Ballista Pro that I have the most grip consistency issues with and, as such, would like to audition potential replacements. Regular Ballistas are more comfortable in the hand and I get a more consistent release out of them. While both molds are super wide-rimmed, the Pro version is deeper and has a higher shoulder that combined with the rim width makes it tough to grip consistently. It amazes me that Paige B. crushes them so well since her hands appear tiny.
FWIW the RGL Bally Pro doesn't feel as big in my hand as my Opto Bally Pro does. Could just be in my head, I dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
How do Giants compare to the other Speed 13 Trilogy molds? In particular: Sheriffs, Raiders, and Biofuzion Defenders?
Can't help, sorry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ballista Pro brutalbrutus Discs 40 05-03-2019 04:36 PM
Ballista BirdieMachine Discs 112 03-19-2019 02:32 AM
Signed Ballista Pro tonyroberts The Marketplace 0 02-11-2018 10:59 PM
Ballista Pro review by Team 64 Norway slira General Disc Golf Chat 0 01-24-2018 02:38 PM
Ballista Dr.Smooth Discs 8 02-18-2016 03:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.