Old 07-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts
Default DWalk's 2019 ITB

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 3 years DG
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: ambidextrous
Throwing Style: LHBH, RHBH, LHFH (if necessary)
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:
RHBH: Wizard: 125/150'; Buzzz: 125/175'; Explorer: 275/290'.
LHBH is about 50 feet shorter
LHFH is only used if in emergency (obstructed shot)

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: N/A
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball

Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Like: Feel confident in my putters and fairway driver. Minimal molds.

Specific areas of desired feedback:
Looking for suggestions on O/S mids. I play at a somewhat windy course (common to have 10-15 mph winds), and I like the Anvil, but am wondering if it's more beefy than I need.
Tried the Roc and did not do well with it, and did not like the grip or bead either

Immediate goals are to push out distance on putters and mids, as well as more accurate upshots from 200' and in.
Long-term goal is to have enough distance to incorporate a speed 11 driver.

In a nutshell, do you think I'm fine with the Anvil as my O/S mid, or do you have another suggestion? Would you recommend a more stable mid than the Buzzz that flies straight, so I could take the Buzzz out and just have 1 mid?
Also, I do like to keep my discs to a minimum, but if you see a crucial gap that could be filled by a disc, let me know

Bag:

Drivers:
172 opto Explorer (8/10) - utility driver

Mids:
172 ESP Buzzz (new) - main mid
170 VIP Anvil (new) - windy shots, utility disc

Putters:
175 Firm Wizard (8/10) - approach putter
175 SSS Warlock (new) - putting putter
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2019, 02:27 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 460 Times in 203 Posts

Something seems off with those 125 to 150-foot putter/mid distances; would expect a healthy 34 year old man with a baseball background to be able to throw a putter around twice as far just by strongarming it.

Suggest keeping the bag as-is and getting multiples of Wizards and Buzzzes (if those are comfortable for you) for practice. Just work on learning to throw those. That would likely support your goals more than any new disc suggestions.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Something seems off with those 125 to 150-foot putter/mid distances; would expect a healthy 34 year old man with a baseball background to be able to throw a putter around twice as far just by strongarming it.

Suggest keeping the bag as-is and getting multiples of Wizards and Buzzzes (if those are comfortable for you) for practice. Just work on learning to throw those. That would likely support your goals more than any new disc suggestions.
Okay, thanks for the input. I'm a natural lefty so my baseball arm is my left one, but it feels more natural for me to throw RHBH, so that may be why I can't strong arm it further. You may be right, practice being more important than anything else. I have a tendency to favor the Explorer b/c I prefer the grip of the drivers to the mids/putters, so might be a good idea to mix in some practice rounds with only Wizards/Buzz.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 135 Times in 100 Posts

Looks like a pretty good start. I'd try to learn your mids and putters and get them out further. Shouldn't take too long if you can get a driver close to 300. You could play some mids and putters only rounds. Build some rapport, Wizard/Buzzz is a good foundation. Anvil isn't a bad OS mid. It's not the most crucial spot in your bag, learn to throw the shots with your other discs so you'll know when you need it.

How is the Explorer for you stability-wise? If I remember right it is pretty close to a TeeBird which would make it slightly OS in Opto. You might benefit from an US compliment like a River, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Leopard, FD, etc. I know its a lot easier for me to get distance and throw different routes with a more under stable disc and then use your Explorer for more control and right to left shots.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 460 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk77 View Post
Okay, thanks for the input. I'm a natural lefty so my baseball arm is my left one, but it feels more natural for me to throw RHBH, so that may be why I can't strong arm it further. You may be right, practice being more important than anything else. I have a tendency to favor the Explorer b/c I prefer the grip of the drivers to the mids/putters, so might be a good idea to mix in some practice rounds with only Wizards/Buzz.
RHBH might feel more natural if you bat lefty. Don't worry about strong arming though; but definitely work on getting those putters and mids out with smooth form.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
You could play some mids and putters only rounds. Build some rapport, Wizard/Buzzz is a good foundation.

How is the Explorer for you stability-wise? If I remember right it is pretty close to a TeeBird which would make it slightly OS in Opto. You might benefit from an US compliment like a River, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Leopard, FD, etc. I know its a lot easier for me to get distance and throw different routes with a more under stable disc and then use your Explorer for more control and right to left shots.
Thanks Bardu. I think that's a good idea
I never had a Teebird, but from what I understand you're correct and the Explorer is a similar disc. They're both listed as 7,5,0,2. I was considering getting a Leopard, might have to pull the trigger on that.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 604 Times in 320 Posts

+1 leopard. My favorites are 170 stars.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:07 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,606 Posts

I agree with Bardu and lines. My favorite in this arena is the Leopard3.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

I can agree here, the champion leopard I have tried was the easiest driver to have proper flight and it was 4 months in when I tried it, so back then I had similar armspeed I think.

I can throw my 175 Star Sidewinder 300-320f without having to work too hard (it is little bit beat-up), and my 175 Opto Explorer feels really stable.. it is almost new and I have to absolutely rip it to get 300f out of it. It's a good reliable disc but for easier/straighter lines I can recommend something more understable.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Bogey Member

What do you guys think about using an Archer for the u/s fairway slot as opposed to a Leopard? Is the Archer too u/s? (has a turn of -3).