Old 08-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Thoughts on recent purchase.

I am very new to DG. I've played only 2 rounds so far and am believing I'm hooked. Could be the course I got to play on. Whistlers Bend in Roseburg, Oregon. Beautiful place. Any hoot.

I was camping there when a couple dudes that setup camp a few sites up from talked me into going out and playing a round. One of them sold me some discs and am curious if they are something I can use or if they are above my level and I would benefit from buying more appropriate discs.

I bought 4 discs for $15.

Innova Starfire
Innova Destroyer
Innova Beast
Disccraft Z Put'r

I've done some research and from what I understand I should stay away from the Destroyer at this point. Unfortunately, none of the discs have any numbers on them so I don't know much else about them. I did find out that the Starfire and Beast are both a 10 speed. Anyway, thanks for any input y'all have.

Oh yeah. They are pretty beat up around the edges. It'd be ok to use like a fine grit sandpaper to try smooth out some of the bite marks?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,099 Times in 740 Posts

Those drivers are a little fast so maybe try to find a mid range you like and use that the most.

Putters are all over the place but just find one that works for you.

Work on shaping lines, increasing distance and improving form b4 you grt too worried about all the discs. They won't do anything for your game until you can actually throw them properly.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Starfire is a nice disc for forehand/sidearms throws.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 11
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Pick yourself up a Roc or a Buzzz. Both are fine midrange discs and you can't go wrong with either.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Par Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Right on. Thanks for the input. Suppose I'll be hitting up the gettin place come payday.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 58
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Yes you can sand out the nicks. Keep the drivers shelved for now. Buy a 170 gram DX Roc and throw that putter you bought to see if you like it. Drivers wont do anything good for a beginner, they require a certain high speed throw and spin with the nose down to get the benefits. Its also much easier to learn how to throw properly with a midrange and putter. Once you can throw the Mid and Putter consistently than you can look at maybe trying out the Beast.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,240 Times in 1,111 Posts

Price you paid seems quite nice, but chances are all of those drivers are too fast and too overstable for a beginner, and that if you throw them, they'll all end up pretty close to each other. The Beast is the closest of those to "beginner friendly," but I'd never recommend it to a beginner.

The recommendations of working with mids is sound for beginners. Rocs and Buzzes are great for beginners and can stay with you as your skills and game develop. You'll find Rocs and Buzzes in a tin of bags from beginners to Pros to Old timers who've been playing for twenty years - because they're easy to throw, forgiving, and extremely versatile. In short, they're money.

Don't be all about high speed drivers. If there's any driver that well suited to beginners, it's the Leopard - not that it's the only one for beginners, but none are really any better for beginners,, and you can find Leopards almost any place discs are carried - it's that popular... and for good reason.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-19-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Should I say it. Yes I should.

Get a Comet and a River.

The Comet will help with form issues and becomes an excellent Midrange when mastered.

The River will help you out with finesse driving,which in the end will lead to better distance.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Par Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Price you paid seems quite nice, but chances are all of those drivers are too fast and too overstable for a beginner, and that if you throw them, they'll all end up pretty close to each other. The Beast is the closest of those to "beginner friendly," but I'd never recommend it to a beginner.

The recommendations of working with mids is sound for beginners. Rocs and Buzzes are great for beginners and can stay with you as your skills and game develop. You'll find Rocs and Buzzes in a tin of bags from beginners to Pros to Old timers who've been playing for twenty years - because they're easy to throw, forgiving, and extremely versatile. In short, they're money.

Don't be all about high speed drivers. If there's any driver that well suited to beginners, it's the Leopard - not that it's the only one for beginners, but none are really any better for beginners,, and you can find Leopards almost any place discs are carried - it's that popular... and for good reason.
You are correct. Whenever I throw all 3 drivers most of the time they are all within 10 feet of each other way off the the left. I throw RHBH. I don't sidearming, but I found it to hurt my elbow and an old shoulder injury makes it uncomfortable.