Old 02-04-2020, 02:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 173 Times in 120 Posts

I hear ya man. I’ve been there. Losing by several strokes at league to cats who I’m pretty sure don’t put nearly the time or effort in as I (we) do.

It’s really about managing expectations and choosing who you play with. Sometimes it’s helpful to just play casual rounds. Sometimes it’s better to just take a break. I wish you the best either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2020, 03:35 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 290 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
I hear ya man. I’ve been there. Losing by several strokes at league to cats who I’m pretty sure don’t put nearly the time or effort in as I (we) do.

It’s really about managing expectations and choosing who you play with. Sometimes it’s helpful to just play casual rounds. Sometimes it’s better to just take a break. I wish you the best either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right and that's part of the problem, I really only have one "disc golf friend" in the area now. The rest are elsewhere in the country or no longer playing. And I'm not a big fan of my current disc golf community, it's kind of dying out and not many are the types I want to hang out with. So it's kind of just me anyway. I used to enjoy a casual round by myself, but not as much anymore.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-04-2020, 05:03 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 544 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
...when I thought about never playing any competitive disc golf event in my life, all I feel is relief.
Bud, welcome to the club. I enjoy every round I play - and you have nothing to prove to anybody. I'm not sure why disc gets lumped into this category of "you have to play tournaments" to measure yourself against others.

All the sports I've enjoyed as an adult: mountaineering and free-skiing, skateboarding, rock climbing. Nobody would even raise the expectation that you'd have to take it to the level of organized competitions to have a completely fulfilling experience. Competition in those arenas are saved for the ESPN kids.

That's the way I feel about disc pdga play. I'm glad to watch it from my couch, but I love playing for me and my buds that are enjoying playing outside and that's it. If it wasn't fun, I'd go find something fun to do.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:37 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Bud, welcome to the club. I enjoy every round I play - and you have nothing to prove to anybody. I'm not sure why disc gets lumped into this category of "you have to play tournaments" to measure yourself against others.

All the sports I've enjoyed as an adult: mountaineering and free-skiing, skateboarding, rock climbing. Nobody would even raise the expectation that you'd have to take it to the level of organized competitions to have a completely fulfilling experience. Competition in those arenas are saved for the ESPN kids.

That's the way I feel about disc pdga play. I'm glad to watch it from my couch, but I love playing for me and my buds that are enjoying playing outside and that's it. If it wasn't fun, I'd go find something fun to do.
In that case, my favorite sport is throwing discs in a field. Putting is a necessary evil involved with disc golf and is 0% fun even when I make them.

I have started mountain biking and that's been taking more of my time and has been way more fun for me. No competition, just adrenaline and joy (and sometimes pain).
Old 02-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 84 Times in 71 Posts

Coming from a professional level bmx background (going on 17 years now) I found it hard to play/see people with wonky form (often painful looking in a literal sense) crush the course on a casual round and in a tournament setting. I thought “hey I’m putting in all this time and this is only where I’m
At?!” I was setting expectations for myself instead of remembering why I played disc golf in the first place.

I think most of us here have that inner demon/angel that pushes us to want to improve and excel in whatever that may be in life, and it’s definitely real to get sucked in and start losing the fun aspect.

I’m stepping away from tournaments this year and going to volunteer instead to help out. I’m running all my Upshots and trying to turbo putt stupid distances instead of fretting a circle 2 Putt on a casual round. Honestly it feels good. I know I’ll figure the form stuff out eventually, and if I quit I’d just feel even worse.

I hope you stick around and find the love again my friend! You’ve been a huge huge help in my obsession on this long and winding road.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 84 Times in 71 Posts

Also regarding mountain biking; I built trails (as in the jump type ones) for many many years, it’s a great feeling building a jump by hand and then riding it! Then you build more, and eventually you’re flying through the trees without a care in world.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:53 AM
Eagle Member

I've changed my forward pump to include the off hand motion that Jacky Chen and Paul Mcbeth do:

It really helps feel how the balance should be on the final plant. Been getting better at keeping a closed shoulder.