Old 04-08-2022, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,926 Times in 3,995 Posts

Driving too late off rear foot after front heel plant. Get a stick and ride the bull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2022, 08:16 PM
Par Member

Niced 192 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Driving too late off rear foot after front heel plant. Get a stick and ride the bull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s

I am working this hip movement into my throw. This is me throwing what feels like 20% and really trying. This is gonna be a long road.

Do you think it’s harder for people who are more duck footed to get the hips and knees correct?
Old 04-23-2022, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

I don't know if it's harder duck footed, but you if you are then you should be watching Climo, Hammes, and Kallstrom, and turning your feet out, and not trying to imitate feet inward like Drew, McBeth, KJUSA. Elephant Walk Drill would be good.

I'm assuming this is not straight face on camera angle, or your stance is way open.

Your shoulder barely moves linearly from your front foot plant.

Watch how Eveliina loads her right shoulder back and slings her right shoulder forward like bow and arrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvKQ3-oOOA
Old 04-24-2022, 10:00 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I don't know if it's harder duck footed, but you if you are then you should be watching Climo, Hammes, and Kallstrom, and turning your feet out, and not trying to imitate feet inward like Drew, McBeth, KJUSA. Elephant Walk Drill would be good.

I'm assuming this is not straight face on camera angle, or your stance is way open.

Your shoulder barely moves linearly from your front foot plant.

Watch how Eveliina loads her right shoulder back and slings her right shoulder forward like bow and arrow.
You're right the camera wasn't straight on. This was just a little 30% power shot to an island and had someone film a shot real quick. I forgot to give context since I was playing and now just in the field.

I ask about the feet because I naturally stand a bit open, but I don't feel uncomfortable moving like in this video^^. I'll play around with it more.

I'm focused on the lower body right now, but I see your point about my shoulder and I'll put a pin in that for the future. I'm looking for guidance on if this is the right path to better lower body movement. I feel more centered and feel like my hips are closer to "clearing" at the end of the throw instead of jumping up and over my plant.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:14 PM
Par Member

Still fighting with the lower body. I think I’m turning back too much but not shifting from behind enough. My right side is struggling to clear without rising.

I finally fixed my swing path issue that’s been plaguing me for a year (possibly not evident in this vid). The thumb push and hang loose all make more sense now that I’m able to keep that feeling all the way through release. Got some real nice nose down and zippy throws the past few field days. Feels like I try to hold the disc vertical and super nose down the whole time, and it ends up just levitating to flat and slightly nose down. wild.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Your front foot is leading your stride instead of your center.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XixDU6ZloLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns1utgTifso
Old 05-09-2022, 11:05 AM
Par Member

Alright boys. What we got here is a little update. I had a tourney this weekend, the first point series for my state and I set myself a goal of finishing in the top half of MA1. I've had two tournaments before this with the same goal that fell short. Typically after a good round one, I would drop a few extra strokes in round two and fall into the bottom half somewhere. Well I did the same thing, but everyone else did the same or worse and I achieved my goal. Shot above my rating both rounds as well. It was a 22 hole layout, two rounds in the same day. If anyone has read my posts they'll know I've struggled with arm pain. I can happily say that I am sore from so much throwing, but no pain. I also didn't play through any pain or soreness which typically happens for two rounds in a day.

Ok form stuff: One thing that I think really helped me this weekend was seeing this gif:

There's a few guys who kinda do this. Gannon and Will S are obvious examples. James Conrad and Simon Lizotte kinda do this. Between Gannon's recent form videos and this gif on Central Coast coverage, it just clicked with me to try. This pump out and back from the chest, and then turn and send it. I like the way this rhythm works for me. I've yet to film it, so I may be feeling and not in the real, but it feels like another way to delay the redirection of the disc to get on the front leg first.

I have mentally started noticing when I continue over my plant. Which is pretty often. So I know I'm not anywhere near done with weight shift work. But I'm gonna work on this technique and see if it's a viable option to help some folks.

No tournaments for the short future, so I'll get out and film something this week.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:16 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 353 Times in 198 Posts

Nice, congrats!!

I've been finding that as my stamina goes up/body stress goes down, I can go a lot longer. But I have to be careful because I get excited and eventually still go a bit too hard/end up with a tug somewhere once my form breaks down when I hit the fatigue threshold. It's gotten weird because my body usually gets tired without me noticing it now & I need to learn to stop the moment my throws start to come out funny/shorter/higher effort.

Looks like those examples you cite (as w/ many other pros) are all mirroring their swing path into the backswing. Any time SW22 gets me onto mirroring actions or I explore them myself they can help encode & trigger the muscle memory if the mechanics are sound. Forward pump simulates throw & is mirror of backswing, Hammer X-Step can work both ways, etc...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5851NqB.jpg (121.7 KB, 4 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:50 AM
Par Member

Was watching the Prodigy tour last night. This 14 year old kid Roland Kour was keeping up very well with the top pros over there for most of his round. His form is very interesting, he actually does the Double Dragon slide move:

I think it's interesting how little lateral force he's exerting. Small steps. He does a little gas pedal move on the last step before the plant and he's basically in the air, ready to plant from behind, and then releases all the energy forward. He doesn't go a cm past his plant either.

Kinda wild if you compare his form to Kuoksa from the same card. He bends at the knee a ton, and typically steps through after his throw. (both look good to my eye form-wise and I know Kuoksa throws a mile)

Granted this was a midrange shot instead of power drive, but both keep this form. The more I look at it, the more Roland reminds me of Gannon Buhr. Kristian reminds me of McBeth's very low and powerful throw.

The reason I'm putting this in here is mainly because I continue to struggle with legs and lower body. SW is always telling me to stand taller and I always find myself wanting to bend at the knees and get lower because in my mind that is using the ground more. I believe these two show what SW is trying to get me to do vs what my perception of people like McBeth are doing.

The difference is both of these pros are shifting from behind fully, planting, then releasing the energy. I do not. I also can feel from mimicking these two how staying taller is less effort overall. I might have to try the bounce steps. All told just thought these were interesting forms that maybe not everyone has seen.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:00 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 353 Times in 198 Posts

Kewl - I'd noticed that knee bend in Mcbeth's form too. I think people like McBeth and Kuoksa already have very well-developed body control and form, so they can isolate and downtempo specific pieces of it to control shorter shots, probably also adjust for the ceiling height, etc.

E.g., in my most recent form vid, my bendy front knee is still providing a hip hinge and more leverage than it used to, but not nearly as much as if I got full leverage against the ground. It also still has a bit of incorrect compression that these top guys lack even in their "bendy" bent plant knee control shot posture.

So learning to get the mechanism first in the "full" swing range probably pays off in the long run, and body control can differentiate shots more later. I'm talking out of my @$$ of course so interested in what others say.

Last edited by Brychanus; 05-16-2022 at 01:03 PM.