Old 04-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Everyone throws differently and discs have variation, but this is the first discussion of the Wedge that compares it favorably to a stable disc. I have used Star and DX versions and consider both pretty flippy with more than 100' power on them. My kids dig it though.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 56
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMachine View Post
At 200 feet compare Wedge and XD. Thinking about picking one up for an 8 y/o.

Guessing the Wedge is a bit more under stable?
I have no experience with the XD but I think a Star Wedge would be excellent at 200 and under for an 8 y/o. I use mine for exactly what PMantle is describing. It is quite understable but has a pretty pronounced fade at very low speed. I like that I can throw a very aggressive high anny line to get around trees on approach and it still lands flat to avoid those nasty roll aways. DX seems to fly about the same as Star except not quite as much low speed fade FWIW.

I would guess for a youngster with decent snap it would turn some, then come back nicely.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 1
Niced 66 Times in 45 Posts

here in the northwest i play alot of wooded courses. having a disc that will hold a low anny line at 100' power is veryy handy.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 206
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 457 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by money 21 View Post
here in the northwest i play alot of wooded courses. having a disc that will hold a low anny line at 100' power is veryy handy.
That would be the Sonic
Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I carry a star wedge as my shorter turnover driver and approaches.

I found the dx to have more glide, and would buy one over star today if I was shopping.

Btw, its my 8 yr old daughters favorite
Old 10-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 56 Times in 32 Posts

Anyone throw a GStar Wedge? I throw a Star for a couple specific shots on my home course -- short gentle turning shots. Takes very little effort to get it to turn. I'm curious with the cold weather coming if the GStar flies similarly.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 56
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

I tried one for a while but couldn't get the G* Wedge to hold a turn reliably, or perform as severe a turn as I could do with DX. I stuck with it for a while hoping it would beat in some, but finally just went back to my DX Wedge for those short turning shots.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I play max weight firm star wedges. I always keep one in the bag. For my arm speed I consider my wedge to be pretty neutral. Once again I'm one of those people that plays heavily wooded courses most often so I use it for "tech" type shots. I do like how it will fade out of a gentle anny to flex around big trees and drop down softly. Or with a bit more power it can hold that anny all the way through. I haven't got a chance to throw the g* wedges mostly cuz I haven't seen them in my local shops yet
Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 56 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ormal View Post
I play max weight firm star wedges. I always keep one in the bag. For my arm speed I consider my wedge to be pretty neutral. Once again I'm one of those people that plays heavily wooded courses most often so I use it for "tech" type shots. I do like how it will fade out of a gentle anny to flex around big trees and drop down softly. Or with a bit more power it can hold that anny all the way through. I haven't got a chance to throw the g* wedges mostly cuz I haven't seen them in my local shops yet
Same here, max weight firm star. Huge fan, odd that it's an Innova disc that you don't hear much about. Super reliable for those 75'-150' approaches that need to go right. I love throwing it from a standstill slight anny release with a nice wrist snap and watching it glide left to right. I'm not going to mess around with any other plastics; the star is perfect imo.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.6
Courses Played: 28
Niced 10 Times in 10 Posts

The Wedge has crazy good glide. Its one step better than an XD. I always bag both.
Wedge is best if you have a low tunnel shot that requires a constant elevation from start to finish.
Still throwing a gummy stoner Proto ( stamp is nowhere near the center of the disc, like the guy that pressed it was a little sideways at the time )