Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Niced 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default File a complaint?

Is it possible to file a complaint with the PDGA about a tournament director if there were multiple things about his tournament that people complained about? Or is it one of those things that you would just avoid his tournaments in the future? A few examples from his tournament are- 1.The entry fee was $35 for most and you got a beanie as your players pack if you registered before x amount of other players, if not no players pack at all. 2. Very poorly defined O.B. such as if you were completely surrounded by water you were ob but if you landed in the middle of the water and were on some pebbles you were in bounds. 3. You had to drive to the TD's pro shop to collect payout which was over a 40 minute drive out of most peoples way including going there and back.

Note- MANY people complained about the issues at this tournament.
Am I making too big of a deal out of this? Should I report to pdga? Avoid tournaments?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I think you should avoid all tournaments if this is what you want to complain to the PDGA about.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 658 Times in 396 Posts

Did he payout in plastic or prize vouchers? I think the making people drive to his shop is kinda obviously an attempt to get people in his shop to buy stuff. Which isn't always a bad thing but a 40min drive from the course is a bit much.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 AM

He paid out in vouchers
Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to comment, but want to be clear that I have not been able to attended any sanctioned event this year.

Is it fair for the TD to order an amount of custom items just to be sure that everyone gets one? What does he do with all the extras? If he is clear that only a certain amount is available and that amount is a decent number that should be acceptable.

water and ob is always questionable, I agree that it should be clearly defined if there is any casual water

it isnt unusual to have an award ceremony somewhere else. Maybe it isn't convient, but there might be a reason for it.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 654
Niced 390 Times in 224 Posts

Most players don't realize there's a PDGA Event Evaluation Form you can submit to the PDGA: http://www.pdga.com/files/EventEvaluationForm_1.pdf
Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

If the player pack was limited to the first however many entered or who showed up that is usually in the tournament info ahead of time. If it was a complete surprise to everyone that is maybe reason to never play one of his tournaments again. It seems to be a little lacking for the cost but some beanies run $15-20 retail and about the cost of a premium disc which is kind of average for a player pack.

As long as the OB was laid out clearly in the player meeting I don't see the problem. If it's consistent and everyone is playing by the same OB then you really don't have much to complain about in my opinion. Keep your discs out of it just like usual.

Asking people to redeem vouchers at the shop who is sponsoring it I have no problem with. DD does that all the time here and it's really to the benefit of the player because they can select from everything in the huge retail store selection in Emporia. It's also less than 10 minutes from every course in town so the 40 min drive part is something I would be unhappy about. Round trip that is more in gas than the voucher was probably worth. Still not really something I would say is PDGA complain worthy. Rate the tournament using the link Chuck provided and don't attend any more events this guy has would be my suggestion to you.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 717 Times in 333 Posts

Chuck has the right answer with the Event Evaluation form (here's the link again http://www.pdga.com/documents/event-evaluation-form). Fill that out and send it to the PDGA. Or email the tour manager directly (tourmgr @ pdga . com).

As for the specific complaints...
1. It is not uncommon or bad practice to offer a player pack for only the first X participants. If it's tournament specific, it's tough to gauge in advance how many will be needed and should the TD be on the hook for extras? I imagine the idea was to use the player pack as a means of enticing players to sign up in advance. If enough signed up early to exhaust the limited supply, he may have been able to order more. He probably did not exhaust his supply fast enough, hence the limited supply stayed limited.

2. Sounds like they have the wrong idea of what defines OB. Not sure if the PDGA can do anything about ignorance of the rules besides tell the TD he's doing it wrong. I know TDs have to pass a test, but it's so easy (and open book) it doesn't really take much to pass.

3. Vouchers for a store off-location isn't out of the ordinary, especially if the vouchers don't have an expiration (so you can cash it in at your leisure) or if they can be redeemed over the phone or online. But if you had to redeem the vouchers that night or lose out, that's shady. I'm guessing it's more likely the former than the latter though. But again, I'm not sure the PDGA is going to say much about this. What amounts to an inconvenience for you isn't something that they have a lot of authority to change.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Chuck has the right answer with the Event Evaluation form (here's the link again http://www.pdga.com/documents/event-evaluation-form). Fill that out and send it to the PDGA. Or email the tour manager directly (tourmgr @ pdga . com).

As for the specific complaints...
1. It is not uncommon or bad practice to offer a player pack for only the first X participants. If it's tournament specific, it's tough to gauge in advance how many will be needed and should the TD be on the hook for extras? I imagine the idea was to use the player pack as a means of enticing players to sign up in advance. If enough signed up early to exhaust the limited supply, he may have been able to order more. He probably did not exhaust his supply fast enough, hence the limited supply stayed limited.

2. Sounds like they have the wrong idea of what defines OB. Not sure if the PDGA can do anything about ignorance of the rules besides tell the TD he's doing it wrong. I know TDs have to pass a test, but it's so easy (and open book) it doesn't really take much to pass.

3. Vouchers for a store off-location isn't out of the ordinary, especially if the vouchers don't have an expiration (so you can cash it in at your leisure) or if they can be redeemed over the phone or online. But if you had to redeem the vouchers that night or lose out, that's shady. I'm guessing it's more likely the former than the latter though. But again, I'm not sure the PDGA is going to say much about this. What amounts to an inconvenience for you isn't something that they have a lot of authority to change.
Thank you steeze and jc for serious replies. It appears some of the issues are the norms at tournaments and I'm not used to that.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 16
Niced 123 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
maybe you shouldn't play tournaments if you whine about crap like this.
actually it sounds like kind of a TD who may just not have been as thorough as he should have been, and kind of a poorly run tournament. i'd say the evaluation form is the way to go and let people know about the TD. apparently there's someone around here who is much the same, some people warned me so i didn't go to his tournament. problem solved. word of mouf.