Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Orion LS

One of the first drivers I ever bought was an Orion LS in Sirius plastic. When I first bought it, it flew really overstable for me (I was just beginning, remember) and then as I added more and more torque into my game, it got kind of flippy to the point where I tossed it out of the bag (actually didn't own a bag then) and into the bin. It wasn't beat, just broken in. Meanwhile, I fixed a lot of things with my drive and learned how to drive with putters and mids and tried a dozen other drivers. I pulled the disc out today and started throwing it. I can't believe what a great disc this is. If I put about 80-90% power on it, I can throw it low, flat and straight like my TL. If I put 100% power on it and a touch of hyzer, it flips up flat readily and goes straight and long with just a hint of fade at the end. I had my longest drive ever (pin-high on a 340 foot hole) today and nearly aced several tunnel shots with the same disc.

Seriously, all you Teebird fans ought to at least take a look at this one. For me at least, it's like a longer TL like a TL is a longer Roc.

Has anyone else ever had this experience of going back to a disc you thought you outgrew and finding it to be the bomb?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 59
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeChump View Post
One of the first drivers I ever bought was an Orion LS in Sirius plastic. When I first bought it, it flew really overstable for me (I was just beginning, remember) and then as I added more and more torque into my game, it got kind of flippy to the point where I tossed it out of the bag (actually didn't own a bag then) and into the bin. It wasn't beat, just broken in. Meanwhile, I fixed a lot of things with my drive and learned how to drive with putters and mids and tried a dozen other drivers. I pulled the disc out today and started throwing it. I can't believe what a great disc this is. If I put about 80-90% power on it, I can throw it low, flat and straight like my TL. If I put 100% power on it and a touch of hyzer, it flips up flat readily and goes straight and long with just a hint of fade at the end. I had my longest drive ever (pin-high on a 340 foot hole) today and nearly aced several tunnel shots with the same disc.

Seriously, all you Tee-bird fans ought to at least take a look at this one. For me at least, it's like a longer TL like a TL is a longer Roc.

Has anyone else ever had this experience of going back to a disc you thought you outgrew and finding it to be the bomb?

Hm-mm. I took my Orion LS out of my bag because it was becoming too flippy. I might take it to the practice field and practice throwing it with some hyzer and see what happens.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like my Sirius Orion LF, it was VERY overstable when I first got it and now its perfect. Ive been wanting to try an LS though.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:05 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 828
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

That's how the valk was for me, it was my first disc, and it never really worked for me. I pulled it back out after I started playing a little more seriously, and it flies really wel for me now.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 164StarValkyrie View Post
I like my Sirius Orion LF, it was VERY overstable when I first got it and now its perfect. Ive been wanting to try an LS though.
I have a 150 if you want to trade me something for it.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I would like to take my Orion LS off the wall, because my wife had a really cool dye put on it for me last Valentine's Day:

Old 07-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 54
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

A buddy of mine has a Polaris LF I love throwing when he's not using it, but that's the only millennium I've ever thrown.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 52
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Orion LS is a solid mold for sure. The Sirius plastic will stay pretty stable for a long while...it took me well over a year to get them really flippy. The base (Millennium) plastic, however, will make for a good roller right off the shelf. I just recently took mine out of the bag - I used them mainly for rollers and big anhyzers, and I found that a beat pro/dx Eagle-x is a little easier to control on those types of shots. Still, I think it's one of the most solid fast & straight distance drivers on the market.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Strangely it seems to work well for beginners too. We got my wife's son one at 147g and he can whip that thing twice as far as any other disc. I'd say he was getting 80-100' last week and after we had the kids camp he is pushing 150'-180'

Old 07-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have a sols and an solf and they are two of my best discs...the same exact story happened with me as it did you with the sols...great disc when i first had it, became flippy and turned over too much....tweaked my form and back in action, prolly my straightest driver and one of my top 5 for "D"