Old 07-01-2017, 08:52 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 654
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 341 Times in 200 Posts

All good points. I still would suggest DGCR not create that category should Tim ever be inclined to develop a more detailed review system.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'd think the professional course designers would favor published safety ratings---even opinions from the peanut gallery---as a demonstration of the value of their services.
Absolutely not. There are currently no official course standards which means there is no reference for certifying designers. We try to make sure no designer indicates they are certified but simply more experienced, using their design resume to help establish their credentials.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 124
Niced 539 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Absolutely not. There are currently no official course standards which means there is no reference for certifying designers. We try to make sure no designer indicates they are certified but simply more experienced, using their design resume to help establish their credentials.
But it's often brought as a selling point up when discussing reasons a parks department should hire an experienced designer, rather than let some local disc golfer do it. A valid point, to my mind.

I don't see much difference between people like us saying something is dangerous, and assigning a number to it.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
But it's often brought as a selling point up when discussing reasons a parks department should hire an experienced designer, rather than let some local disc golfer do it. A valid point, to my mind.

I don't see much difference between people like us saying something is dangerous, and assigning a number to it.
I hope DGCD members avoid using this argument because there are no measurable standards and it also exposes them in the event something does happen. It's a selling point more likely made by administrators, clubs and local players involved with a new course but perhaps not directly promoted by the wiser designers. Some of use the words "avoiding interference" as an umbrella term when discussing this aspect of design.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Then this would be a win-win. We can talk about safety, or the lack thereof, and you guys can keep quiet and avoid any implication that you're certifying the design or sport as "safe".
Old 07-03-2017, 12:49 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 131
Niced 205 Times in 119 Posts

What does everyone think about a level designation for a course? Like a red level course or a gold level course. Should that be written in a review or checked off in a review or just listed on the course page..?

Tim and I are talking about it like ski trail designations... like double diamond or blue square... you know the trail difficulty before you even get to it... it's marked on the trail map and posted at the beginning of the trail... trail? jeez, it's been so long since I've been on the slopes.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

I have a hard time deciding what skill level a course is designed for---other than at the fringes, a gold course or an elementary school course. I have a particularly hard time with courses that seem to mix some pretty easy holes with some very tough ones (I'm not saying that's a good idea, but they exist).

Then you get to courses with multiple tees, suitable for different skill levels, so they'd be multi-colored.

I like the idea in theory, and if someone more competent and consistent than me would do it for all of the courses, it would be terrific. Especially if you could filter courses by skill level. But as much dispute over ratings and reviews as we see, I'm not sure if we wouldn't just make a mess of it if we did it collectively.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 69
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
What does everyone think about a level designation for a course? Like a red level course or a gold level course. Should that be written in a review or checked off in a review or just listed on the course page..?

Tim and I are talking about it like ski trail designations... like double diamond or blue square... you know the trail difficulty before you even get to it... it's marked on the trail map and posted at the beginning of the trail... trail? jeez, it's been so long since I've been on the slopes.
From a user's perspective, I would love to see something like this implemented and listed on the course page. Not sure how it would be implemented for all of the courses, but I think this would be great.

Being able to sort courses by level designation would be huge... A lot of users have shared that ratings tend to reflect fun factor and enjoyment (which I totally get and understand). But this leads to a really fun pitch and putt type course getting rated the same as a gold-level championship caliber course. When trying to distinguish between these two courses, the ratings don't mean anything because you are comparing apples to oranges.

I do think that David brings up a good point that there are several courses that it might not be easy to assign a single level designation to. But if there is a good way to implement this, I'm all for it.

And for those that don't like it, they can just ignore it
Old 07-03-2017, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 242
Niced 450 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
Quote:
I like the idea in theory, and if someone more competent and consistent than me would do it for all of the courses, it would be terrific. Especially if you could filter courses by skill level. But as much dispute over ratings and reviews as we see, I'm not sure if we wouldn't just make a mess of it if we did it collectively.
I've noticed notapro actually states his take on a course's skill level in the title of his reviews: Beginner; Intermediate; Expert

I agree with Dave in that I like the idea in theory, but the question I have is how to handle courses that genuinely accommodate multiple skill levels via distinct layouts?

I'll cite Burchfield Devil's Den as a prime example: I genuinely think its various layouts accommodate pretty much all (but the very lowest) of the "PDGA's color coded skill levels:"

I truly think each of it's four designed layouts appropriately challenges each of the following skill levels:
Short Tees to Short Pins: = red / beginner
Long Tee to Short Pins = white / intermediate
Short Tee to Long Pins = blue / advanced
Long Tee to Long Pins = gold / pro
...even said as much in my review.

Knob Hill is another course that does a wonderful job of accommodating a variety of skill levels.

If DGCR adds some sort "skill level indicator," I think it should:
1) Be consistent with the PDGA's color code scheme.
2) Allow for multiple colors to allow courses that successfully use multiple tee and/or pin placements to change the difficulty.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-03-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:28 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 131
Niced 205 Times in 119 Posts

One thing I do know is that a large group gets to an answer better than even a single expert can... in many cases anyway and this is backed up by studies.

So, if we left it up to the reviewer to select a skill level and then take the selection with most answers, we'd likely have an accurate answer.

Whatever this comes to, if we do it, it needs to be easy for the members to utilize and for DGCR to maintain.

Niced: (2)