Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-03-2021, 12:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 392 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis_Valk View Post
Unfortunately that has been my experience. I stopped putting my number on my discs for this reason. The anger I feel towards these scum bags is not worth a $15 piece of plastic so I have to let the plastic go.

I'd rather have an image in my mind of the fortunate disc golfer who joyously finds my un-inked disc and keeps it, than to think about the lowlife that looks at my number and says F*** him.
I think the majority of discs that I've lost that have been inked (and lost in a findable spot) have been returned to me. I also found a fair number of discs that I've returned to owners, or tried to return but had them given to me.

Actually I'm now making a concerted effort to make sure to ink discs before I throw them because I've had such good experiences. It's certainly better than losing an uninked disc, although the local facebook group always has a few threads up trying to find the owners of uninked discs found on local courses.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 56 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
I think the majority of discs that I've lost that have been inked (and lost in a findable spot) have been returned to me. I also found a fair number of discs that I've returned to owners, or tried to return but had them given to me.

Actually I'm now making a concerted effort to make sure to ink discs before I throw them because I've had such good experiences. It's certainly better than losing an uninked disc, although the local facebook group always has a few threads up trying to find the owners of uninked discs found on local courses.
That's good to hear. I've lost 30 or so discs (all marked) in 8 years and out of those I only got around three calls. Two were gracious but I had already left the course so I told them to keep the disc. One taunted and toyed with me until I blocked his calls.

I have even heard of disc golfers fishing discs out of the return bin that the local retailer provided on the course. I almost feel stupid to have expected more from fellow disc golfers.

If a person will sell their integrity for the price of a disc, I'd hate to think what they would stoop to for real money.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,088 Times in 488 Posts

I've gotten several back. I got one back that someone had clearly found and used a lot before losing it. Before that, it had never really crossed my mind that people are finding them and keeping them. If they were easy to find, I'd find them.

...but some people are super aggressive in thinking everyone else has their disc. I've had people in front of me waiting at the end of the course wanting me (and everyone else finishing up) to give them a live ITB because they lost a disc on course. It's like, "Why would the guy behind you not looking for your disc be more likely to find it than a group of 4 people that watched the throw? I hit the gap, pitched up, and tapped in that hole."
Old 05-03-2021, 03:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 60
Niced 56 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
...but some people are super aggressive in thinking everyone else has their disc.
I'm glad that your experience is better than what I've seen. I won't be super aggressive when enquiring about a lost disc of mine because it is not worth a confrontation. However I've asked a discing couple as they were leaving if they saw a "______" disc out on the course. They both answered at the same time. Trouble is, he said "yes" and she said "no". LOL It was in his bag and he surrendered it gladly. "She" certainly expected that he would lie though.

Also, don't assume that lost discs are hard to find. Some are forgotten from multiple practice throws when the course is not crowded. I've found putters left in the basket and ran ahead to the group in front of us to reunite them with their owner.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 1,088 Times in 488 Posts

Well, the ones that I've lost so far are super hard to find. I guess that is one of the benefits of a small bag.

I'm just kind of fed up with trying to get discs back to people. I'm tired of texting people that I pulled their Wraith out of the pond to have them reply with "Interesting. You are telling me about my stock stamp Wraith, but not my Cloud Breaker that I lost in the same spot."

Niced: (1)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 111 Times in 86 Posts

Got reunited last week with my g-line FD which I lost at Kaposia last fall. Somehow it found a portal and made its way into a pile of lost discs up at Blue Ribbon Pines about 45 minutes away. Remarkable.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 830 Times in 412 Posts

I usually text people and offer to leave the disc in a secure spot on the course—someplace near the parking area.

The disc I found recently had one name and number on it marked out and a second name and number on it. I suppose it could have been a gift or trade, but struck me as one that was found by the person that lost it and never returned.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 254 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
Got reunited last week with my g-line FD which I lost at Kaposia last fall. Somehow it found a portal and made its way into a pile of lost discs up at Blue Ribbon Pines about 45 minutes away. Remarkable.
I lost a CDGC disc a few years ago here in Charlotte. Cussing and hating myself at the time, because it was getting dark, and I knew it would be hard to find, being one of those clear ones with a frosty stamp on it...

At least 6 months later, I got a text from a guy who had found it in Hickory, NC, about an hour away. So obviously, someone had found it here, took it there, and proceeded to lose it, according to this other guy, on Hole #1. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Not only did this gentleman return it to me by mail, he refused to take any kind of payment for it. "Pay it forward, man, that's how we do it." I have always made it a point of pride to do anything possible to get a disc back to its owner, but this guy made it a Moral Imperative.

So there are some happy endings out there. Just the other day, I found an orange Northman at Winget. Sent the guy a text. He replied: "I was there on vacation from CO. Not worth the shipping, so go ahead and keep it." Simple, clean, and easy. Why can't everyone be so inclined?