Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 480 Times in 225 Posts

And now we have the very first hater review on the new Earl Brewer layout. Couldn't be bothered to say anything positive or negative about the course just one long sentence on how many people are out there now.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2017, 01:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 38
Niced 181 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Silver Creek in Marquette is getting concrete pads this weekend, work days are scheduled for Friday and Saturday. 8:00-2:00 on Fri., probably the same on Sat. Disc Da U.P. volunteers will be performing the work, they need lots of help and any tools you can bring. A great opportunity to give back to the sport we all love.
Played it this morning, all the blue teepads are now concrete. Looks like they're 5x12 and nicely finished, and just gorgeous! Thank you Disc Da U.P.!

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 100
Niced 172 Times in 93 Posts

Got a chance to play the proposed Ella Sharp Park DG course layout. A handful of us brought baskets (x9) and played the mostly front loop (1-7, 17 and 18) on Friday evening twice. Then back at it on Saturday to try out mostly back side (#8-17) layout and played that twice as well. Still a LONG way to go before it is playable to general public but nice to see the holes starting to take shape.

Good use of elevation and the leftover trees from the previous clearings. Looks like it will have a lot of Long pads to go with full set of Short pads, couple of short holes may just have one set. Sounds like they are going to do it right and lay down top soil and grass for the fairways which will be great. Maintenance will be critical as some of the rough is downright nasty and could make finding errant throws challenging.

Still NO pads, NO baskets installed (bought, stored in garage) and ground needs some more clearing. Will update when applicable.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 267
Niced 1,048 Times in 582 Posts

Today, The Shide, Valkyrie Kid, myself and two locals (Mark & Tom), played the last round at Spinski's Original with the owner, Jon T... damn, is that course tight.

Jon confirmed he's sold the place and both courses will be done. Said he's pulling the baskets tomorrow. He didn't even seem particularly sad. If anything, he seemed kind of relieved to not be married to his mower and deal with course maintenance anymore.

He plans to do something with the baskets, but I don't recall what.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2017, 12:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Today, The Shide, Valkyrie Kid, myself and two locals (Mark & Tom), played the last round at Spinski's Original with the owner, Jon T... damn, is that course tight.

Jon confirmed he's sold the place and both courses will be done. Said he's pulling the baskets tomorrow. He didn't even seem particularly sad. If anything, he seemed kind of relieved to not be married to his mower and deal with course maintenance anymore.

He plans to do something with the baskets, but I don't recall what.
From what I heard from Am Championship participants that course was boo-ed. I had a friend play that course and said it was so ridiculously tight he played much of his round with just a putter. I also heard a lot of complaints about how swampy it was. I heard very few good things about it.

I might get in touch with them because I know someone possibly interested in buying those baskets.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35
Courses Played: 224
Niced 532 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
From what I heard from Am Championship participants that course was boo-ed. I had a friend play that course and said it was so ridiculously tight he played much of his round with just a putter. I also heard a lot of complaints about how swampy it was. I heard very few good things about it.

I might get in touch with them because I know someone possibly interested in buying those baskets.
It was tight, and I did fairly well throwing mostly a Buzzz SS to stay out of trouble. It was a nice course and a fair challenge for World's, IMO.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 267
Niced 1,048 Times in 582 Posts

Spinski's was one of the tightest, most technical courses I've ever played. Reminded me of Summit near Chicago, but with elevation and water in play on many holes, and some nasty rollaways to boot... perhaps a bit shorter as well.

How you feel about it depends on how much you like or dislike threading the needle... repeatedly.

What really leaves a bad taste in one's mouth is the double whammy of tree kick + rollaway, OB creek, or possibly list disc... on many holes.

Definitely a test of skill, because getting through the trees clean a few times is one thing, but doing so repeatedly to score better than the competition over 18 holes requires the kind of precision one hopes to see in a "Champion."

Since it really only challenges one particular aspect of the game, I don't think it's a good choice for a tournament by itself, just as I don't think a an open bomber course, would be on it's own either.

However, as a single round of part of a multi-round, multi-venue event, I think it's fine.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 305
Niced 32 Times in 23 Posts

Added Allegan Jaycee park today. Cute little nine in a nice park...

Old 08-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

So it's FINALLY happening. Benton Township is officially opening its DG course at River Park on 9/23. The township is going to make a big deal of this with a "grand opening" and inviting the local press. It would be really really helpful if we could get a good showing of local disc golfers to come to this opening. Clear your calendars if you can and try to get here. I'll be posting more details here as they become available. I predict this should be a nice 3.0 to 3.5 rated course. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 39
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Silver Creek in Marquette is getting concrete pads this weekend, work days are scheduled for Friday and Saturday. 8:00-2:00 on Fri., probably the same on Sat. Disc Da U.P. volunteers will be performing the work, they need lots of help and any tools you can bring. A great opportunity to give back to the sport we all love.
Sweet! Can't wait to try em' out Saturday - gonna be practicing for the UP Championships.