Old 01-15-2018, 12:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 770
Niced 29 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
DerekTonn is another "under the radar" most played.
Not anymore
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 361
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 59 Times in 32 Posts

I had the pleasure of throwing a round with Deke Guff at Idlewild. He's a super guy who's played his share of golf. It's not very often that you play with someone who enjoyed the same courses you did in Colorado, Florida, AND Ontario.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,058 Times in 981 Posts

Thanks for chiming in, Deke. One day you'll have to re-visit Stoney Hill; it's greatly changed and vastly improved since last time.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 285
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,621 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Guff View Post
Someone gave me a heads up I'm getting talked about on the forum, so I figured I better check it out. After reading all the posts, I was wondering if I should say something or let the mystery linger. I do appreciate all the attention although I am a little embarrassed by it.

But yes, I have played all those courses, and I am now currently at 1600. When I'm not working at my 9-5 job, I'm usually traveling, and many of my trips revolve around disc golf.

I have met a few DGCR members on my travels, including playing a round with the Valkryie Kid in Nova Scotia, and playing with Shuie and DavidSauls on their private courses. And one of the first players I ever met when I first started was Biscoe at Gillies Creek Park in Richmond, Virginia.

I did attempt to keep up my disc golf blog but with all my traveling and playing, I kinda let it fall by the wayside. I do have a Facebook page (www.facebook.com/discgolfjones) and also an Instagram account (https://www.instagram.com/discgolfjones), where I post pictures of various courses throughout my travels.

As far as favoriting the Kentwood and Cornwallis Road courses in North Carolina, those were 2 of the earliest courses I played and added them as favorites for sentimental reasons. You never forget your humble beginnings.
Congrats on your first post in 9 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Ha! 9 years on DGCR with nary a post.
I don't expect him to start now.
Got that one wrong...

Looking forward to your next post in 2027 when you've reached 3000 played.
Keep plugging brother!

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-15-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 821
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 20 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Guff View Post
Someone gave me a heads up I'm getting talked about on the forum, so I figured I better check it out. After reading all the posts, I was wondering if I should say something or let the mystery linger. I do appreciate all the attention although I am a little embarrassed by it.

But yes, I have played all those courses, and I am now currently at 1600. When I'm not working at my 9-5 job, I'm usually traveling, and many of my trips revolve around disc golf.

I have met a few DGCR members on my travels, including playing a round with the Valkryie Kid in Nova Scotia, and playing with Shuie and DavidSauls on their private courses. And one of the first players I ever met when I first started was Biscoe at Gillies Creek Park in Richmond, Virginia.

I did attempt to keep up my disc golf blog but with all my traveling and playing, I kinda let it fall by the wayside. I do have a Facebook page (www.facebook.com/discgolfjones) and also an Instagram account (https://www.instagram.com/discgolfjones), where I post pictures of various courses throughout my travels.

As far as favoriting the Kentwood and Cornwallis Road courses in North Carolina, those were 2 of the earliest courses I played and added them as favorites for sentimental reasons. You never forget your humble beginnings.
Don't worry Deke, some of us had your back!! The thing is that most of the DGCR trolls on here never leave their home area and can't comprehend that someone could love disc golf enough to spend all there extra time and money towards certain disc golf goals.

I will use myself as one example, I myself not only try to travel and play disc as much as possible all the while trying to maintain my private course. Plus, i think the trolls don't understand what an obsession is really about, unless you count being a hater an obsession.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

I don't see a lot of trolls or haters in this thread.....at least the 2018 version of it.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 155
Niced 354 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuie View Post
Don't worry Deke, some of us had your back!! The thing is that most of the DGCR trolls on here never leave their home area and can't comprehend that someone could love disc golf enough to spend all there extra time and money towards certain disc golf goals.

I will use myself as one example, I myself not only try to travel and play disc as much as possible all the while trying to maintain my private course. Plus, i think the trolls don't understand what an obsession is really about, unless you count being a hater an obsession.
Wow that's a lot of assumptions you just made. So let me continue, I must assume that I am the troll you're referring to since it was me that commented on Deke's selections of Kentwood and Cornwallis Road in his favorites. So now to correct your assumptions, I leave my home area whenever I can strictly for disc golf. I spend all my free time and money on travelling to play. Yes it is unfortunate that in the 7 years I've been playing regularly I have only got to 150 course in 10 states but that is what my budget and vacation days could handle. Now that I broke up with my fiance' because she does not like me to play all weekend and every day after work, I have more time for disc.

I, like you, travel as much as possible for disc and while I don't have a private course of my own, there are 5 private courses owned by friends in Louisburg that I rarely miss a work day for. Yes you are right I totally don't understand obsession just ask my former fiance'.

As I explained, I was not hating on Deke just offering some good natured ribbing. As Deke explained those 2 course were early on in his quest so he selected them for nostalgic reasons. I am all good with that explanation. It just struct me as funny since those 2 courses aren't even the best in Raleigh/Durham let alone the state.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 155
Niced 354 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I don't see a lot of trolls or haters in this thread.....at least the 2018 version of it.
Think he was calling me a troll since I commented on Kentwood and Cornwallis road being in Deke's favorites.

As you know Dave, I never leave Raleigh for disc. Except when I visited Stoney Hill over Thanksgiving this year.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Think he was calling me a troll since I commented on Kentwood and Cornwallis road being in Deke's favorites.

As you know Dave, I never leave Raleigh for disc. Except when I visited Stoney Hill over Thanksgiving this year.
I think your comment fell more in line with mine---surprise. I was surprised to see someone who had played so many courses under the radar....not doubting, just surprised. You were surprised to see someone who had played so many courses list those two as favorites....but he gave a good reason. (I have no idea what I've listed as favorites, but I probably included Earlewood, for similar reasons).

Old 01-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 459
Niced 397 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post

Shuie didn't call you a troll. YOU thought he called you a troll and then got all defensive about it. I didn't think he was talking about you as your comment was appropriate. I thought he was referring to the prevalence of doubters and skeptics here on DGCR. Which is exactly why I recommended documenting achievements.

(BTW, I thought your user name was Tripper because you went on a lot of road trips )

Niced: (2)