Old 09-17-2020, 12:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 350 Times in 217 Posts

This video was top drawer- funny, and relevant after having watched the Open. He also alluded to it in the car QA vid.

The amazing thing to me was how well the illusion of the suits played out. They really looked like they were ported by aliens.

Bravo Simon/Eagle.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2020, 04:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,556 Times in 742 Posts

I just watched it and it's definitely entertaining. Simon is killing it with the Vlogs. I watch tourneys and Simon. Good s***.👍
Old 09-18-2020, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,046 Times in 1,149 Posts

The "Alien" video now have 87k views in just 3 days. . .Rickys have 47k views for the F9 in 4 months

Simon is popular. .

Niced: (2)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 352 Times in 218 Posts

Simon's video is much better overall, but Ricky had the way harder challenge with the raptor suite. Despite not having Simon's vlog quality, I like Ricky's video. He's fun and ... man! all that sweat! :-D
Old 09-19-2020, 05:37 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 350 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
We'll see what domestic life does for him. It could help light a competitive fire under him or it might send him in another direction. I rarely watch anything except tournament coverage but I'll watch most of Simon's stuff.
Did you watch his CBS interview where he basically says he doesn’t care about placing well because bit doesn’t pay well and winning is a hassle?

Quote:
In the weight of balance, showing off and actually competing and focusing on winning. is that the prize money in disc golf is not that big of a deal for the top 10 guys. like, we don't play for the prize money. what helps us is the bonuses we get from sponsors, any other sponsor deals like our bags or our shoes, any equipment we use on the course. like all those deals are usually a much bigger deal to us than the thousand or 3 thousand we get for finishing top 3 in a tournament.

so yea, my money I've been winning from tournament prize money has actually been like a very very small piece of my yearly income. so I had to like weight out is for me important to be on the podium, win tournaments, get titles, or is it more important to be the guy that everyone enjoys watching. to be the guy that people talk about. be the guy that the camera crews wanna film and people like commentating about me. just stuff like that that always seemed more appealing to me.

like I noticed very early on that winning and the attention of being the winner and having to do a speech at the end... that kind of stuff, I never liked that. and I always thought I was wrong for not liking that. but everybody is different. but just because i'm a professional athlete doesn't mean I have to do everything I can to win. I take the approach for making the sport look attractive and entertaining and fun to watch.
Not sure domestic life is gonna change that perspective, but who knows! Guy just wants to have fun instead of trying really hard. I don’t blame him for it

Niced: (2)
Old 09-19-2020, 05:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,589 Times in 887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
We'll see what domestic life does for him. It could help light a competitive fire under him or it might send him in another direction.
I am convinced if Simon's only income was from how well he placed in tournaments he would be the best player in the world.

Old 09-20-2020, 02:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 352 Times in 218 Posts

It's not that Simon would place low, he often is on the lead card, playing top 5, otherwise he couldn't have such a high rating.

In some earlier interview or vlog he said that making it on lead card and thus being on (Jomez) coverage is his goal. He just doesn't care much about actually winning. Well, I think he has ``won'' a lot, because he is so widely known and popular without having won many tournaments. I think he does everything right. (... not as a template for everyone, but for himself.)

Besides, there are few players that adhere to Steady Ed Headrick's saying as much as Simon. From this perspective he's a big time winner.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,556 Times in 742 Posts

I agree Meillo. He's carved out his own little niche market. And in doing so, he's made a living and appealed to ( me at least) casual players with fun, spur of the moment videos. And some more planned out ones. If you don't like Simon check your head. But he seems to be happy with where he's at and I'll keep watching.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,108 Times in 427 Posts

One super unique thing that I love about Simon is that he portrays sort of a lovable goofball image, but when he starts talking about the nuts and bolts of playing disc golf you realize there’s a lot going on in that brain of his behind the scenes.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 255 Times in 124 Posts

As someone that would rather slam a door on his hand that listen to Eric Oakley or AJ Risley, I don't see Simon as a goofball at all. I think that is why he is so likeable. He is just a positive dude that wants to have fun. And his skillset doesn't hurt. Uli is a guy that had loads and loads of personality, but I don't think he necessarily has the skillset to captivate us simply by throwing discs the way that Simon can.

Niced: (1)