Old 02-22-2017, 03:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,388 Times in 683 Posts
Default FInding the flaws

Ok, so I actually have been trying to do more field work since I have a great place for it, and most of the courses up here are closed this time of year. Yesterday I started from a standstill, no step just weight shift. Moved to a single step, then short x-step, then normal run up, all over about an hour or so. Lots of throws.

This is my last 5 throws of the day. First 2 are convicts in the 350' range. Last 3 are TP giants, in the 375'-400' range. This has been my plateau for the last 6 years, and I'm determined as I move up to play open this season that I'm going to figure it out and get 30-50' more of distance off the tee.

https://youtu.be/JO-2SQ5ePBE

Sorry for the camera angle, but I was only focused on the technique, not the result. From what I can see - my problems are caused by a last step that's much too long for my short legs. I can definitely benefit from shortening that step, and that likely will help me pull through closer. Also shortening the step should let me brace better on my instep, as I feel like I'm reaching out too far and it's pushing my toes down - hence the pivot that isn't directly on the heel. Any other advice would be helpful. I think I know what I need to work on but obviously more experienced eyes on my flaws will help too.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by VictorB; 02-22-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,422 Times in 2,089 Posts

Classic strong arming and hugging yourself, your elbow never makes it forward with the shoulders closed. You have both heels flat on ground in immovable horsestance and tipping/folding your upper body over your hips. Instead of being in quick athletic stance to shift quick between your feet and maintain upright posture. Changing these things are going to feel quite different and wild.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,388 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Classic strong arming and hugging yourself, your elbow never makes it forward with the shoulders closed. You have both heels flat on ground in immovable horsestance and tipping/folding your upper body over your hips. Instead of being in quick athletic stance to shift quick between your feet and maintain upright posture. Changing these things are going to feel quite different and wild.
I guess I should feel good that I can strong arm out to almost 400'?

I have time and patience to start re-building the throw from a standstill again MasterBeato style so long as the weather cooperates. All of the things you listed I feel are because I'm reaching out too far with my front foot and all of that is compensating to try and make the throw happen.

My legs are too short for the long stride I'm using, I can see that on the video. I think that causes me to get locked in flat footed, and all of the other bad things start cascading from there. I should have a nice short stride like Brinster uses, he stays very compact (and I'm 4" shorter than he is too)

Thanks for posting some drills to look at. I've got a nice big filed a block from my house that I can get a ton of throws in at. I don't actually play during the week right now since the courses near me are closed for about 6 more weeks.