Old 04-04-2019, 06:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 487 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
No, I think he's saying that the scorecard was available to be taken when A Ray took off for his starting hole, so the player who was late wasn't late because he had to hang out waiting for the scorecard. And his group didn't get any kind of unfair advantage arriving at their starting hole sooner than he did. He could have arrived when A Ray did, had he not essentially gotten lost en route.
I agree, it's pretty clear that the definition of "distributed" is at issue.

I've been thinking about the "grab off the Scorepoint" vs. "TD distribute directly" methods. If you're using the grab method, how can you be sure that the other members on the card have seen that they are on the card?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 315 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
So you're saying the scorecard was distributed even though it was still in its original location when the player headed out to his assignment? Really?
That's how you "distribute" the scorecards. Really.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
That's how you "distribute" the scorecards. Really.
My argument is that by putting the cards all in the same place (the Scorepoint), the cards are aggregated and available for distribution, but certainly not distributed. I thought you were a fan of good semantics.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,413 Times in 1,432 Posts

Quote:
I agree, it's pretty clear that the definition of "distributed" is at issue.

I've been thinking about the "grab off the Scorepoint" vs. "TD distribute directly" methods. If you're using the grab method, how can you be sure that the other members on the card have seen that they are on the card?
If taking the scorecard(s) for the group removes any notice of hole assignments from the board, I'll say it again, the TD is doing it wrong. There should be a scoreport card for each player on the board, and then a separate scorecard for the group (or separate scorecards for each player if that's how it's done). The end result of everyone being sent out on the course should not be an empty/blank scoreport.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
My argument is that by putting the cards all in the same place (the Scorepoint), the cards are aggregated and available for distribution, but certainly not distributed. I thought you were a fan of good semantics.
So the TD has to chase down every player to give them a card? Or does he/she have to chase down only the first player in every group?

I'll stop being semantic and not point out the implication of the verb and subject usage of "distribute," but seriously, the way the cards are distributed is by the TD putting them out for pickup.

In any event, once the cards are out there, this should signal the finalization of the board and any good TD should have accounted for plenty of time for all all the players to get to their tees before the start.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If taking the scorecard(s) for the group removes any notice of hole assignments from the board, I'll say it again, the TD is doing it wrong. . . .
Unless you've seen a different kind of scoreboard then me, taking the scorecard does nothing to "remove notice of hole assignments."
Old 04-04-2019, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

What can I say guys. The only time I've seen the type of scroreboard that meets your standard was at worlds. The lowly C- & B-tiers I played only have one scorecard per slot. It's filled with cards one-by-one, and the players crowd around to get their assignments. When the board is full, the TD reads out the names and assignments and handed them to the 1st listed player if present; if not then to the 2nd listed player; if not then an assistant (or a player on an adjacent hole) would run the card out to the tee (very rare). And, you know, it's a functional process, the tournaments get played. Y'all are so fancy.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Niced 1,727 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
I will add another perspective... Benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the player in all situations.

I understand the nature of the rule and the point of writing it in such a fashion... TDs need to keep participants on track, and rules like this help. But, I don't think it is intended to be taken so literally.

If I were on that card, I would absolutely let the guy tee off at the back of the group without penalty. I am competitive, but I prefer to win on merit, not on a technicality... On the other hand, I would not hesitate to stroke a participant that earned it through their play, like a foot fault if needed.
What way is there to take rules other than literally? By allowing the player to play without penalty you are effectively penalizing every other player in the division who did things right.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Niced 1,727 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
What can I say guys. The only time I've seen the type of scroreboard that meets your standard was at worlds. The lowly C- & B-tiers I played only have one scorecard per slot. It's filled with cards one-by-one, and the players crowd around to get their assignments. When the board is full, the TD reads out the names and assignments and handed them to the 1st listed player if present; if not then to the 2nd listed player; if not then an assistant (or a player on an adjacent hole) would run the card out to the tee (very rare). And, you know, it's a functional process, the tournaments get played. Y'all are so fancy.
Some of the earlier tournaments i played (mid-90's) did this. That was before the scoreports were out there and most people's scoreboards were fashioned from doors or shutters. It boggles my mind that anyone still does it today.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,148 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Some of the earlier tournaments i played (mid-90's) did this. That was before the scoreports were out there and most people's scoreboards were fashioned from doors or shutters. It boggles my mind that anyone still does it today.
I've only seen that done once in my 24 years, and that was about 15 years ago at a non-sanctioned event.

The TDs in teemkey's area ought to chip in together and buy a scoreboard they can share. Better for the players.....and better for the TD.