Old 01-21-2021, 04:08 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 132 Times in 70 Posts
Default I'm getting back in!

Hello everyone, love that a forum like this exists!

Quick background. I started playing 30 years go because an elementary teacher was super into it. He got me hooked, he designed our local course, he was the only source of buying discs in the area, etc.

I played frequently from ages 10-25 and was pretty good for the competition in my area. Picked it up for about a year again around age 32 and got pretty good again. Then marriage, kids, work, etc...ate up my free time. I haven't played in 8 years. Now my kids are older, I'm working from home, I live near a course.

Things have changed! Last time I played there were no flight numbers on discs, I had cheap plastic discs, I could only buy discs that the local guy stocked in his man-cave for sale. I was literally buying discs based on what the edge looked like and if it felt good or not.

I'm a bit paralyzed by the information and options available now. I've read a LOT online, which has only served to be more confusing honestly. I'm probably not a beginner, I'm certainly not advanced, maybe I'm an intermediate?

I'm also a bit OCD, and very analytical, so I'd like to stick with a single manufacturer as much as possible (both for the OCD, but also because I'm likely to spend a lot of time analyzing my own flight patterns, distances, etc...and it would be nice to have them relatively comparable...as an example, I still have my Millenium Polaris LS driver that I loved, and different sites list it very differently in terms of flight numbers, I'd like consistency as I start back out).

Any recommendations? Supplier (I know the obvious seems like Innova, but I'm definitely open to smaller, high quality options)? Plastic type? Specific Discs?

I live in the Midwest, so cool/cold spring and fall, hot summers...I'm likely to just use the same discs year-round. I'm likely to be putting in a lot of rounds and practice time, as this is some of the only exercise I can get that's enjoyable (things like basketball are out into the foreseeable future for obvious reasons).

I've still got a few of the discs I used 20 years ago, so the current low inventories aren't a problem. I'd like to start building my bag though, and I'm sure if I scour hard enough I can find some options to start in with a specific supplier regardless of how their current availability is.

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to reading more of this forum!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 115 Times in 69 Posts

Lot of good new manufactures out there, but if you want a good range of selection and stability, I would stick with Innova. Many of the others are having issues keeping up with demand and it can be difficult to find the disc you are looking for.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:39 PM
Par Member

I probably don't need to go out and buy a complete set today since I still have some old discs lying around. I DO need a company with a good selection across their product line...but that selection doesn't have to be immediately available (and in fact, it may be in my wallet's best interest if I have to do some searching/waiting rather than dumping money on a bunch of discs up front).

For example: I've looked at MVP, Legacy, Daredevil (not exactly tiny, but I want someone with a lineup large enough for me to carry a single brand to start). I can't get a decent set from any of them at the moment, but I can get a disc or two here and there. I have a background in buying/selling sports cards, so definitely an aspect of "the hunt is as much fun as the kill". I have a TERRIBLE time trying to distinguish between "new manufacturer" and "good new manufacturer" though. For example, I look at MVP and think "Ok, more weight to the outside with the double mold...is that gimmicky or is that good?". I want to work toward an AWESOME set, even if it takes longer while I keep playing with my 20-year old DX plastic.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,317 Times in 1,638 Posts

Chances are your 20 year old putters and mids are as good as anything marketed today as long as they are in good shape. Drivers on the other hand...

With one or two exceptions all the companies make good discs. They are also all having significant inventory issues currently so I wouldn't count on being able to "build a bag" of one or another for a while.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:24 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Chances are your 20 year old putters and mids are as good as anything marketed today as long as they are in good shape. Drivers on the other hand...

With one or two exceptions all the companies make good discs. They are also all having significant inventory issues currently so I wouldn't count on being able to "build a bag" of one or another for a while.
Some of it is in good shape. Good enough for NOW anyways. That's why I don't mind building slowly or going with another company that may not have a great available inventory at the moment.

At the moment I've got:

Pro Beast (which I'm pretty sure I've never thrown, but is pretty beaten up, so I must have inherited it from someone years ago)
Cobra which is in ok shape
Eagle (which has a massive chip in it)
Buzzz-D (ok shape)
Aviar Putter (pretty beat up but will work)
Millenium Polaris LS (my former go-to driver, which I don't remember running over with a truck, but someone sure did from the looks of it)

I could go out and play with those this year and be fine probably...but i've also broken enough discs at our local course in my younger days to know how quickly that plastic shatters. It's a lot of throwing long shots down tight corridors. I'd like to start working towards...something...even if it's not instant gratification.

Also love some advice on plastic types. I see plenty of "this is good for warm weather" "this is good for cold weather". Given that I live where there is both, and I'm not likely to have 2 bags for the different weathers...which one is better for the opposing weather?
Old 01-21-2021, 05:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 614 Times in 372 Posts

Cobra Eagle Aviar! sounds like a perfect setup to me.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 790 Times in 434 Posts

While I like to support the smaller brands....it can be difficult to find a mold that fits a need, or to find one in supply. Several small companies depend on other companies to make their discs. You will see Innova embossed on other companies discs for that reason.

Strictly for availability and the likely chance of having the type of disc you want, I'd stick with either Innova or Discraft. Although Latitude 64 makes their own and has a decent selection, many of their discs are light weight (150-160 gram area).
Old 01-22-2021, 07:53 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,113 Times in 1,169 Posts

Discraft is all the rage due to having the current MPO and FPO champions as sponsored players. Innova, Dynamic Discs, & Discraft are all obvious good choices. The best online supplier imop is: DiscGolfCenter.com

Regarding plastics, do you have a local store, PlayItAgain, etc, where you can personally check out the feel of all the new plastics? That's a huge part of the game imop. Good luck btw!
Old 01-22-2021, 08:59 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Discraft is all the rage due to having the current MPO and FPO champions as sponsored players. Innova, Dynamic Discs, & Discraft are all obvious good choices. The best online supplier imop is: DiscGolfCenter.com

Regarding plastics, do you have a local store, PlayItAgain, etc, where you can personally check out the feel of all the new plastics? That's a huge part of the game imop. Good luck btw!
I do have a local place, there's a vape store about 45 minutes away, but I'm in the area a few times a month. I was going to stop in there just to get a feel of some things. I was trying to narrow down to a couple of plastics before going though, or at least narrow down to "if it's a varying climate from very hot to very cold, definitely avoid this type of plastic" or something like that. I don't want to go in, find a plastic that feels amazing to me, then find out that it's going to be terrible to use in some weather conditions.

I'm also trying to avoid retail spots as much as I can at the moment with Covid, particularly touching a bunch of stuff. Ideally I'd get a few recommendations, then order some factory 2nds (or some used stuff) online to get a feel for the plastics and decide.

Thanks for the recommendation on DiscGolfCenter, I've seen a lot of online places but not that one. I'll add that one to my list for sure!

Niced: (2)

Old 01-22-2021, 09:23 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,113 Times in 1,169 Posts

Good call on the Covid concerns. Fwiw... Re: Innova, I live down south so no need for seasonal plastic, but I think most would agree GStar is the gripper/gummier plastic and seems to be favored during colder/winter play. Champion / Star otherwise.