Old 06-24-2021, 04:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 562 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
Maybe the most difficult part of the rule is not even HAVING balance...you must DEMONSTRATE a "full control" of balance. Whatever that means, and however long that takes for those you are demonstrating for?
Chuck Kennedy says a "two count" in the video, which isn't repeated anywhere in the rules, so take that for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2021, 04:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 132 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Chuck Kennedy says a "two count" in the video, which isn't repeated anywhere in the rules, so take that for what it's worth.
That was kind of my point, towards your point of rules being poor and needing clarified. One of the examples was "putting your back foot on the ground" which I could easily do without balancing (i.e. wide receiver toe drag).

If you have to have a bunch of "off books" clarifications about a rule...either rewrite the rule more rigidly but clearly...or do away with it.

Even "two count" is silly. "Two count" is not a measure of time.

The impression the rules leave is essentially "someone made up this backyard game, wrote down a quick set of rules...and is now trying to do anything they can to leave those rules in place rather than write them correctly". At a professional/competitive level, they really need to be fixed...at the casual level...it won't make much difference because most people don't bother with some aspect of them anyways.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 691 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
The big difference between the 2 might be that surfers and skateboarders are intentionally moving forward (or just moving), while OP was not trying to move forward at all (and was not trying to move at all). Not that I want the rules to try to distinguish between intentional and unintentional movement...but I do think many people will find that intent question relevant to "balance".
No, if the intended action was part of the definition, and maintaining “balance” during an intended maneuver counted, then step putts would be legal inside the circle. Heck, jump putts could be considered legal. The idea of being “balanced” applies to all sorts of dynamic actions which involve leaving the feet.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:38 AM
Par Member

Niced 132 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
No, if the intended action was part of the definition, and maintaining “balance” during an intended maneuver counted, then step putts would be legal inside the circle. Heck, jump putts could be considered legal. The idea of being “balanced” applies to all sorts of dynamic actions which involve leaving the feet.
I'm not speaking to the full rule with my post, only to why people would potentially find it difficult to judge someone to be "balanced" while their body/feet were doing something completely unintentional. In that way, a slip is not much at all like someone surfing. Rule completely aside, simply what people are likely/unlikely to view as someone who is balanced or not.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2021, 01:37 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32.5
Courses Played: 736
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,451 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
The "two count" message was derived from assessing the votes of 8 officials on whether each clip was a Fault or not. As you can see from the pic, any pause less than 2 seconds was considered a Fault by all voters. The 1.8 to 2.2 seconds range had mixed judgments, with 2.8 and longer widely perceived as No Fault. The officials were members or advisors to the Rules Committee in 2011: Dr. Voakes, Korver, Roddick, Damon, Burns, Garnett, Sinclair and me. The code letters match the codes used to identify the clips in the Demonstrating Balance video posted above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stance Timing.jpg (68.3 KB, 6 views)

Niced: (1)

Old 06-28-2021, 03:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 10
Niced 359 Times in 156 Posts

Its always funny when some Dingus questions Chuck in rules questions

"Take it for what it's worth" haha. Certainly worth more than some Dingus