Old 09-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 75 Times in 40 Posts

Sorry for the double post, but thought I'd add...

Along with the discs, you might consider carrying a rag or old hand towel for wiping stuff off of your discs, if you end up in water or mud. We just cut up a couple of old teeshirts for this.

Also, the base plastic discs (called 'DX' by Innova, Pro-D by disccraft, etc.) are still used by some touring pros. Disc golf is a weird sport, where the most basic starting equipment can still be used by pros, and the most expensive high-end stuff is only about $20 per disc. The Aviar is an incredibly popular mold, and widely used. So is the Roc. The Leopard is less used, but I've seen a few touring pros that still throw that mold to great effect.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 220 Times in 139 Posts

Before you get too carried away, have you thrown any discs yet?

Sounds like your putting the cart before the horse here.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 125 Times in 92 Posts

^ Local dubs will provide more hands on options than you can imagine.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 117
Niced 178 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Before you get too carried away, have you thrown any discs yet?

Sounds like your putting the cart before the horse here.
This is oh so true. We're all assuming you're already hooked because you've been throwing. But have you been out since the first time with your friend?

Either way, I feel like anyone could use a Teebird. As for your questions, for some reason I always recommend star Teebirds. Not really sure why, but I've had good experiences with them. They can be fairly overstable, and maybe even a bit much for a new player. But, as I said, I feel like anyone could use one in their bag.

I'm not sure about the Colt. I think I'd actually recommend getting another aviar, possibly also P&A or another variety... basically something close enough to your P&A that you'll have two fairly similar putters for putting practice but also very useful for approaches and throwing practice.

I think you're missing absolutely nothing by not having light discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Right now I'm considering the following two purchases to give me some variability to my bag and to try out several different plastics:

a) Teebird in the Champion plastic (possibly Star?) at 168g

b) Colt, as a putter to use for short drives, in the Star plastic at 175g

What's everyone's thoughts on these two purchases?

That means in my bag, as a newbie, I'd be carrying:
Leopard DX 167g
Teebird Champion 168g
Shark DX 173g
Aviar P&A DX 175g
Colt Star 175g

Now that I see it typed out, there aren't any lighter weights in that bag...is that a problem as a newbie?

Again, thanks for everyone's help and patience---thankful I found these forums---has saved me a great deal of time and wasted money!!!

TripleB
Old 09-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 65 Times in 52 Posts

Play it again can be great. Used discs are fine, but know that if you get a beat up one and love it, it will be tough to replace.

Don't worry too much about weight, it's not going to make a huge difference when you are starting out. Those weights listed are fine. Some folks say certain discs have a weight sweet spot, but depending on who you ask that sweet spot will vary.

Champion teebirds are pretty overstable. I have tried them and I think it's too overstable for me, at least for what I want a fairway for. There is nothing wrong with them at all though and many people swear by champ teebirds.

One word of warning when it comes to stable and overstable discs. Don't lean on them too hard. I think a lot of newer players find overstable discs to be more consistent because they don't react as much to poor throws, rolling over on the disc, and don't show nose up issues as much to new players. I highly recommend continuing to throw that leopard on most of your shots, even ones that finish left a little. It will help you learn release angles, hyzer flips (release the disc on a hyzer, instead of turning it kind of corkscrews up to flat and just glides out), and just generally what type of shots you can achieve. I've been going back to leopards, beat to hell rocs, and beat to hell aviars that are Nice and understable for more and more shots this year.

The above theoretical bag looks real great, my buddy loves the colt, though I'll throw a DX aviar off the tee. It's a solid line up that covers pretty much everything for you, and will for quite a while I think.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by thirtydirtybirds; 09-18-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Niced 39 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Play it again can be great.
Used to have one 10 minutes away but they went out of business. Now, especially if going DX, it's much cheaper to order ($6.99 free shipping) than to drive out of town to purchase...although I don't get to feel the disc in hand prior to purchase.

Just to update everyone...to my current line up* I'm going to add:

a) another Aviar P&A for driving...probably another 175g DX (looked at Star or GStar but think I'll go with a 2nd DX just for consistency sake)

b) Teebird in the GStar...was thinking 168g but really don't like the idea of a light green disc ( hard to find in grass...or trees )... that leaves me with either going with a 164g in blue or a 170g in blue or purple...not sure if a little lighter or a little heavier is the way to for newbie considering what I already have in my bag.

*current disc: Leopard DX 167g, Shark DX 173g, Aviar P/A 175g

Thanks to everyone for all your help!!!

TripleB
Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 125 Times in 92 Posts

Post the distances you're getting with each disc. It will help the Pro's here analyze your form and recommend areas for improvement.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 117
Niced 178 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
b) Teebird in the GStar...was thinking 168g but really don't like the idea of a light green disc ( hard to find in grass...or trees )... that leaves me with either going with a 164g in blue or a 170g in blue or purple...not sure if a little lighter or a little heavier is the way to for newbie considering what I already have in my bag.
My vote is heavier. Not sure you'd notice much difference either way, though. I think 5g weight differences are more about supporting your mental game than truly flying differently.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
My vote is heavier.
They have one in a 167g weight (middle weight and in my favorite color orange), but it's in the DX plastic instead of the Gstar.

TripleB

Old 09-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Par Member

OK, I'm through, I'm done, I'm finished, I'm never looking at another disc at least until next year!!! Each company should only be allowed to make 6 disc, and each of those disc in only 3 different weights...life would be so much simpler!

My finalized bag is:
Innova Leopard DX 167g
Innova Shark DX 173g
Innova Aviar DX 175g (x2)
Innova Teebird DX 166g
Discraft Buzzz 176g
Innova Valkyrie DX 163g (just for the fun of having a distance driver)

Thanks to you all for your help, patience, expertise, advice, knowledge, and friendliness!!!

TripleB