Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to zbyrd
Default Turnover vs. Forehand?

I throw RHBH and RHFH with similar skill. Thus, I have just used a forehand and never really bothered working on a turnover, which seems to be the more popular shot. Are there any differences between the two that I may be overlooking? As far as I can tell, both will start straight and finish right. The only difference I can see is the ability to get a little fade at the end of a turnover and the turnover's ability to resist skip(as opposed to the skip-happy forehand). So, I guess what I'm asking is if there is any reason for me to spend time catching up on a turnover if my forehand is pretty darn good?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think my turnover shots have a steady right turn to them where as my FH shots bite a little harder as it slows down. I think it depends on the hole and what line the hole requires.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

by turnover do you mean a bh "s" shot?

the turnover may not be your answer to more distance - but learning a serviceable bh will help your game.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is actually a good question. Ive found that if you CAN throw sidearm; its more consistent than a turnover because there are more variables involved in a turnover shot as opposed to a sidearm shot. And I agree with Adaven's comments as well.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 28
Niced 47 Times in 29 Posts

Considering I can't forehand to save my life, I'd go with the turn-over. But 9 out of 10 times I'd throw anhyzer rather than a turn-over just because it's more consistent and most of my discs don't turn-over all that well to begin with. Basically, out of the 6 or so courses I regularly play there's only 1 hole on 1 course that I use a turn-over for.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been struggling with this as well. I started driving backhand, then switched to primarily forehand, but now have gone backhand dominant again. I was getting some serious elbow pain from my forehand, and I tried to tweak my form and almost lost my forehand completely.

My LHBH turnover shot is getting much, much better, but it's still easier to throw the LHFH. I need to iron out my form issues at the field, and if I can do that, I might almost completely eliminate the LHBH turnover.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooKid View Post
This is actually a good question. Ive found that if you CAN throw sidearm; its more consistent than a turnover because there are more variables involved in a turnover shot as opposed to a sidearm shot. .
i agree - but usually the discs for turnover shots are more understable whilst typical FH discs are more overstable and are usually less forgiving and have predictable fade at the end.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I throw both RHBH and RHFH, and I have found that both a turnover and fh have specific selection. Say if I have a nice casual dog leg that slowly bends the whole time, I am going to throw a BH turnover cause it will hold that line the whole flight, if it is a straight shot that has a hard fade at the end, I will throw a fh, cause it tends to make a nice straight flight and then fade off hard at the end. IMO it is your best favor to learn both shots and use them in the time needed. This will make you a good all around player.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

I throw a lot more turnover shots than I do forehand, though the two definitely have different uses and I'm glad that I can throw either. If I need a hard turn or a skip, I'll throw sidearm, whereas a long curving fairway calls for a turnover that will sit and stay where it hits.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 14
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Grip N Rip

You can turn a disc over but give it enough air to flex back thus increasing the distance and staying fairly straight(depends on disc/wind/throw/hyzer angle)