Old 10-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,348 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
That's my thing though, I don't want to keep all these molds in the bag. I mean many of them fit a purpose but I'm not happy with the majority of them. I'm more or less looking to take some excess molds out and stay with certain molds that work for me.

Also, I've tried FH periodically for years and I've watched videos on it but it just never felt right to me. I'd like to try and focus on backhand turnover shots since I'm much more comfortable there and able to control those shots more.
Neuron Wave, Echo-Star Leopard, DX Roc, Star Mako3

If this is your list of what you want to keep, add a Champ Firebird, Star TeeBird, and a putter that feels good in hand. When the DX Roc start flying straighter longer, add a KC Roc and keep throwing the DX. When the DX Roc stops fading altogether, drop the Mako3 and add another DX Roc.

You'll get a lot more posts like this with suggestions for different discs. Good luck sorting through them all.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 90 Times in 57 Posts

As long as you have more time than money, the cheapest way I've found to try plastic (other than borrowing friends' discs) is to buy discs on Ebay in lots, like this. I look for lots where the discs are mostly premium plastic and the per-disc price is $5 or less, shipping included. Keep what you like, and resell the rest on Ebay or here in the Marketplace.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-25-2018, 03:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 404 Times in 246 Posts

Agreed on some of the previous comments regarding your Roc. Beat it to straight (should only take a week or two) and add a fresh KC Pro Roc. Once the KC Pro has mellowed its fade, the DX will likely be finishing a little to the right for you. Then you can add a third Roc, either going with another KC or grabbing one in a premium plastic that will stay relatively fresh for years.

The only other of your preferred discs that I'm really familiar with is the Wave. MVP and Axiom drivers seem to stay fresh forever, so it will be harder for you to cycle those. However, their 21.5MM class drivers all feel remarkably similar in hand, so you can throw discs that feel essentially the same albeit it is technically multiple molds. If you're looking for a less stable Wave, try the Axiom Vanish in the same plastic/weight as your Wave. There's not a good disc that's just a touch more stable than a Wave, but the MVP Photon is certainly a nice (much more) overstable complement to it. It will likely be a meathook for you though. For the record, I do bag both the Wave and Vanish but prefer other discs in the Photon slot.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 6
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
As long as you have more time than money, the cheapest way I've found to try plastic (other than borrowing friends' discs) is to buy discs on Ebay in lots, like this. I look for lots where the discs are mostly premium plastic and the per-disc price is $5 or less, shipping included. Keep what you like, and resell the rest on Ebay or here in the Marketplace.
That's crazy, didn't even know that was a thing. There are some insane deals on there. Thanks man!
Old 10-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 7
Niced 90 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
One other thing—

Watch out for disc lots where the discs have a bunch of different names/phone numbers on them. In that case, chances are that the seller found the discs and made no effort to contact the owners. If the discs are all inked with the same name/number I generally assume that the seller is getting rid of his own discs. Discs with no ink are to be preferred, obviously.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 978 Times in 641 Posts

Best thing to do is befriend a disc hoarder. They will often let you try any throwers they have and may let you buy some cheap or give them to you if they are super nice.

Barring that, figure out what you like in different discs. Do you like them to feel shallow and sleek or chinkier so you have a better grip, what plastics fee
Best etc.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 101 Times in 58 Posts

The proton Virus will turn right so you won’t need a fore hand right away. The proton Vanish is a beautifully straight disc that I think you will like better than the wave. If you face a lot of windy situations then the Vanish will turn like the Virus in a head wind, and you can use a light (150-165) proton or neutron wrath or proton or neutron defy (again light).
I feel so confident that you will like these discs (based on wave preference) I will buy the ones you don’t like for infinite disc retail price and cover the shipping.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 462 Times in 280 Posts

If you have those 4 you like, just drop everything else. Play with just those, and see how you do. If you find yourself saying “I wish I had a disc with “x” flight” then start asking about that slot.

Just putt that aviar. Technique over disc choice on putting in my opinion, for the most part.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 976 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Just putt that aviar. Technique over disc choice on putting in my opinion, for the most part.
I so disagree with this. Putting with a disc that doesn't fit your hand, will create bad technique.
I think disc selection is more crucial for push putters though...so ymmv.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 462 Times in 280 Posts

For the most part. There is something to be said for having utter confidence in a mold because it is “the one” that is so comfortable. In my experience it’s really bead or no bead. I can putt pretty much the same with most beadless putters that are not floppy. I putt best with my mold of choice, but could really make a switch and not miss out on much. I practice with all different putters, just to get the motion down and because it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference flight wise to me out to like 25’ or so. Push putter by the way.

That’s not to say finding your putter of preference isn’t important. But if you are trying to save money, there is no reason not to use that aviar for now, unless you absolutely hate it. Aviar P&A is a tired and true mold, and getting your motion down is super important. If you handle a mold you like better then by all means make the switch. I just think getting in the reps is more important.