Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 5
Niced 717 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouni View Post
I got a Proton Tangent today, and after playing a half a round with it I think it will replace my Skulboy Vertex in the bag. While Tangent is maybe bit shorter it feels more controllable. Maybe. Needs bit more testing.
You are not wrong... For me the Tangent is a line locking fiend.. It will handle more power, Very straight, as it breaks in it just flies straighter.. Until one day it starts turning on its own, when that day comes the Vertex I find to be a better option because it turns just as easy but throws lighter and has that touch of late fade to bring it back.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 68 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
You are not wrong... For me the Tangent is a line locking fiend.. It will handle more power, Very straight, as it breaks in it just flies straighter.. Until one day it starts turning on its own, when that day comes the Vertex I find to be a better option because it turns just as easy but throws lighter and has that touch of late fade to bring it back.
I totally agree. If the Tangent were tweaked somehow to fly longer/cut wind better it might be my main disc. My love for driving putters, coupled with so many great MVP+ putter driver molds keeps me from the Tangent.

I played a flooded and overgrown out of town course yestetday. I somehow managed to lose 2 Vectors, but the Vertex did it's job each time it was called on. And the Particle fills in pretty darn good for a lost Vector....
Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 58 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I totally agree. If the Tangent were tweaked somehow to fly longer/cut wind better it might be my main disc. My love for driving putters, coupled with so many great MVP+ putter driver molds keeps me from the Tangent.

I played a flooded and overgrown out of town course yestetday. I somehow managed to lose 2 Vectors, but the Vertex did it's job each time it was called on. And the Particle fills in pretty darn good for a lost Vector....
I'm actually considering a particle for the slot of OS mid. I find that I want a little more stability out of my proton envy. I have a soft neutron envy in the mail but not sure if it's going to be enough of a difference to replace the vector.

I also agree with the others about the tangent. It locks onto a line and just holds it. I still have it in the bag as I love throwing it, I just wish I had a longer version of it lol
Old 06-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 80 Times in 53 Posts

I have played couple more rounds with Tangent and it definitely dropped Vertex out of the bag (and the use of Electron Atom as well). It does fly pretty far with a smooth throw with minimal fade. Probably not very good with wind but neither is Vertex I guess. Very puttery (!) feel as well, but doesn't need much spin to fly effortlessly BH and FH in short approaches. I do like the feel of Vertex in the hand as well, and I probably could get that to work out as well, but I think I have more uses for Tangent and rather not bag that many mids.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouni View Post
I have played couple more rounds with Tangent and it definitely dropped Vertex out of the bag (and the use of Electron Atom as well). It does fly pretty far with a smooth throw with minimal fade. Probably not very good with wind but neither is Vertex I guess. Very puttery (!) feel as well, but doesn't need much spin to fly effortlessly BH and FH in short approaches. I do like the feel of Vertex in the hand as well, and I probably could get that to work out as well, but I think I have more uses for Tangent and rather not bag that many mids.
The Tangent is much more viable as a primary mid, where the Vertex is much more of a specialty disc. It fills the role of a beat putter-class driver, but with more glide and heavier weights because it is larger diameter. Vertex is shorter than Tangent for me, and needs more height to work similar distances.

I've been testing out my Vertex pretty heavily on a variety of shots.

Highlights: Uniquely suited for finishing on an anhyzer angle without catching an edge and rolling...Whether powering a hyzer release to stand up and finish anny, throwing flat to immediate turn, or throwing with anny for a short and tight turn the disc almost always skids flat at the end of flight. It makes annies with the Vertex almot like hyzers in terms of predictability. It's also great for standstill shots to get good glide and work lines on a small scale.

Limitations: With 300' of power the Vertex is a flip monster. It takes height, skill, and positive wind conditions to have success with the Vertex past 300'. It is a bit touchy trying to dial in when exactly you want the Vertex to turn...It is a disc that doesn't exactly fill the role of any other disc, so it may not be as immediately intuitive as discs like an Axis/Vector.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:18 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 80 Times in 53 Posts

Sounds familiar, I guess you could characterise Vertex as your beat up workhorse neutral mid/putter? But as it is already at that stage in the beginning, you need some time to get used to it compared to a classical case where you have used the same disc so long that it has gradually became flippy and thus you know it's behaviour very well.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

I just grabbed another Vertex to try because I have a feeling the first one I got is an oddball. The original is domey and possibly the stiffest N plastic I've ever felt. My new one is flat, flexier, and stickered a couple grams lighter...basically more in line with what I prefer for putter drivers. We will see how it compares.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I just grabbed another Vertex to try because I have a feeling the first one I got is an oddball. The original is domey and possibly the stiffest N plastic I've ever felt. My new one is flat, flexier, and stickered a couple grams lighter...basically more in line with what I prefer for putter drivers. We will see how it compares.
It will be a turny no doubt a few grams seems to make a difference. My. 179 is domey and beefy by comparison ( Z comet) to the 174 Skulboy (worn ESP Comet/Spin)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 06-21-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
It will be a turny no doubt a few grams seems to make a difference. My. 179 is domey and beefy by comparison ( Z comet) to the 174 Skulboy (worn ESP Comet/Spin)
That would make sense, but my new one has a noticeably higher PLH. Accordingly it seems to be a hss of -1.5 instead of -3 like my original one. It also turns slower when it does go over, and glides more. This allows it to track even farther right on annies(rhbh) before grounding out. The stability is easier to gauge with a little more resistance as the disc can be thrown pretty flat and hard for a 250' anny. Or you can air it out with a little anny and it will get good forward penetration as it turns. I appreciate this stability as a starting point so I can learn some touch with the disc as it breaks in.

As an approach disc my new Vertex can take a smooth flat throw and just push without actually turning. It's really pretty to watch it just hang straight so long...very MVP gyro-ish flight.

My original Vertex is a curiosity, my new one is a player.

Looking at the Vertex in the store it is essentially a flatter and slightly larger diameter Spin putter....Not really a mid. So it's my putter driver that a neutral premium gyro putter will never break into.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190621_182731.jpg (97.6 KB, 7 views)

Niced: (1)

Old 06-21-2019, 07:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
That would make sense, but my new one has a noticeably higher PLH. Accordingly it seems to be a hss of -1.5 instead of -3 like my original one. It also turns slower when it does go over, and glides more. This allows it to track even farther right on annies(rhbh) before grounding out. The stability is easier to gauge with a little more resistance as the disc can be thrown pretty flat and hard for a 250' anny.
I'm jealous.. Sounds like the exact opposite of what I have, I should check my plh but I order blind anyhow online.