Old 08-07-2019, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 569 Times in 417 Posts

MVP Octane (or Axiom Mayhem) are worth looking into they are around those #'s. Otherwise a DGA Hurricane is a more comfy size and is stable enough but can definitely work well for a forehand.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,348 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Love teebirds in star and gstar. Not sexy enough for this shot though.

I practice temperance for my backhand and try to match my armspeed, but when it comes to forehand, sometimes I just want to milk all the speed and glide I can to get that extra 10-15 ft for the look at birdie.
300' with a warp speed driver is sexy?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,185 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I’m curious because I want to learn, why the preference for a speed 12 when you’re only throwing 300’? Seems like speed 9-10 stable drivers would work better at that arm speed than a flippy 12? Do you like the wider rims?
I throw exclusively FH now after shoulder surgery and max out at 315' if everything is just right.
I keep one weirdly overstable wraith in my bag for skips and escape rollers. Nothing else over speed 9. I don't see the point.
Primarily driving with Valks, Teebirds, and Leopard3s.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Par Member

Niced 239 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I throw exclusively FH now after shoulder surgery and max out at 315' if everything is just right.
I keep one weirdly overstable wraith in my bag for skips and escape rollers. Nothing else over speed 9. I don't see the point.
Exactly why I’m trying to understand the OPs reasoning. I think a stable Valk (maybe max weight Champ?) would be a fantastic forehand hyzer flip disc for someone with 300ish power.
(For reference, I mostly drive with Thundys and a Valk)
Old 08-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,348 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
What most people don't realize is that added speed without the ability to utilize it often leads to faster fades, robbing the thrower of distance. I remember my mind being blown when I switched from Forces to PDs. I started parking and overthrowing holes that I used to have to jump putt.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 891 Times in 488 Posts

The right Wraith can bomb for FH drives. Flat ones from the recent Star run are less stable off the shelf than some and they go far. Lots of Wraiths to pick through in used bins also.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,550 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Exactly why I’m trying to understand the OPs reasoning. I think a stable Valk (maybe max weight Champ?) would be a fantastic forehand hyzer flip disc for someone with 300ish power.
A CD2 is also a really good halfway point between the Thundy/Valk for FH shots. More confidence than the Valk but way easier carry than the Thundy. I have a pretty strong FH and when I throw the Thunderbird I throw it HARD and choose it because I don't want the skip of a high speed driver, not because it's easy to throw being speed 9. Those discs crave power. The CD2 will hold straight way easier.

In your case the Thundy/Valk pairing will cover that shot though.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Par Member

Niced 239 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
A CD2 is also a really good halfway point between the Thundy/Valk for FH shots. More confidence than the Valk but way easier carry than the Thundy. I have a pretty strong FH and when I throw the Thunderbird I throw it HARD and choose it because I don't want the skip of a high speed driver, not because it's easy to throw being speed 9. Those discs crave power. The CD2 will hold straight way easier.

In your case the Thundy/Valk pairing will cover that shot though.
Yeah, I like the idea of a midpoint between the Valk and Thunderbird....just trying not to add MORE molds to the bag right now. Practice, not plastic and all that.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 495 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
I’m curious because I want to learn, why the preference for a speed 12 when you’re only throwing 300’? Seems like speed 9-10 stable drivers would work better at that arm speed than a flippy 12? Do you like the wider rims?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
What most people don't realize is that added speed without the ability to utilize it often leads to faster fades, robbing the thrower of distance. I remember my mind being blown when I switched from Forces to PDs. I started parking and overthrowing holes that I used to have to jump putt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
The right Wraith can bomb for FH drives. Flat ones from the recent Star run are less stable off the shelf than some and they go far. Lots of Wraiths to pick through in used bins also.
The vast majority of my FHs are thrown with a zone/mortar. My go to FH driver is an FD. I understand and appreciate that more speed is not typically the answer.

I wouldn't try to convince any of you or anyone to bag a warp speed driver for 300' of forehand power.

That being said, the flightpath and ground play of an underpowered, glidey, slightly flippy warp speed driver can open up some low risk plays in the woods and from trouble. Say I'm throwing out of a curvy hallway from a wooded teepad into an open field - the carry and flare skip might make the difference between par and bogey if I'm being honest.

Plus, I can FH a glidey distance driver farther than a controllable fairway. It's just a fact.

I would recommend that anyone leave the distance drivers at home until they get find their bearings. But as you figure things out, a warp speed driver is just another tool in the bag, like a flat firebird or a beat roadrunner.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

I usually throw a lucid-x convict (9 speed) or bio enforcer (12 speed) for flex FH shots, out to about 300. I predominately throw backhand. I use FH mainly for scrambling or shorter holes that finish right.

Last edited by aarontpx; 08-07-2019 at 01:44 PM.