Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

this comment on the other thread really sums it up nicely i thought

do you play your rating or move up because others think you should?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Depends on how important peer pressure and "being one of the guys" is in the way you make your decisions.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 44
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Well, to be honest people can call me a bagger if they want. From what I've read on the rating system, it seems pretty accurate and legit to me. So I'm probably gonna keep playing my rating. Once it goes above 900, then I'll move up. I just wanted to see what others would do in my situation.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 129
Niced 522 Times in 252 Posts

Most people on this site are in the "Rec is for beginners" camp. I'm assuming Novice isn't offered in their areas of the country. It is in mine, and Rec is a VERY competitive division. I can't remember a local tourney where there were less than 12 Rec players. Usually takes 2 900+ rated rounds to win the division.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
Most people on this site are in the "Rec is for beginners" camp. I'm assuming Novice isn't offered in their areas of the country. It is in mine, and Rec is a VERY competitive division. I can't remember a local tourney where there were less than 12 Rec players. Usually takes 2 900+ rated rounds to win the division.
Don't believe I have seen a Novice division yet in the tourneys I have done this year. Rec has been showing up more than it used too though.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
The same thing is true at most of the tournaments around Chicago, especially in the IOS where rec and novice are often some of the largest divisions.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 27
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the problem isn't with people not moving up. I think the sport has changed, and as we grow the higher numbers are getting better. 10 years ago a 900 meant less than 900 means now. It could possibility be a 870 now. The way a rating system goes if you are a top person, you are the base. That is why the scores keep getting better but the ratings have never past 1050. It may be a fluke if it happens but the rating system will bring down that person.

So I think it may be time to reevaluate the chat we use to determine divisions. I am a rec play of 817. According to the chart I should be Novice. I have finished 2/3rd before in rec but they have been really close finishes. I think to keep everyone around their skill level we need to do two things. 1. Change the scale. 2. Keep track of non-member ratings.

1. Change the scale. I think something like this should be put in:

MA1 901+
MA2 851-900
MA3 800-850
MA4 799-

You still will be able to move up if you like. However, the only challenging one were we accept a larger range would be advanced, and they have the age groups they could go into as well.

2. Keep track of non-members

Use the non-member fee to make them supporting members and give them ratings. If they are supporting members their scores are updated, they are attached to their PDGA number. What is the difference if the computer has to put in a few new scores. They aren't done by hand. They would still have to pay the $10 fee each time. This would help with the guy that plays one tournament a year, so it isn't worth him getting a pdga number and then playing rec to get all the "gift card money" when he finishes with over 15 down from 2nd place.

I think these two things will fix allot of problems we keep discussing.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 71
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anovin View Post
Well, to be honest people can call me a bagger if they want. From what I've read on the rating system, it seems pretty accurate and legit to me. So I'm probably gonna keep playing my rating. Once it goes above 900, then I'll move up. I just wanted to see what others would do in my situation.
I was kidding with my 'bagger' comment

not to sound like a a-hole, but do you see your rating going up another 20 points after the update? Starting at 850 obviously gives you some room for improvement, but raising that 50 points is a pretty sizable increase in a short period of time.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 43
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

one option is to say, if you are winning a lot, move up and challenge yourself

another option is to say, the pdga ratings truly reflect your ability so play your rating, and if the pdga ratings do not truly reflect your ability then maybe they should change there scale (kdencker beat me to it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDencker View Post

MA1 901+
MA2 851-900
MA3 800-850
MA4 799-
i started at 864 rating, now im 848, i should technically be a novice, but i'm considering playing intermediate... dunno, i may just stay in rec until my rating moves me to intermediate
Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 42
Niced 67 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDencker View Post

MA1 901+
MA2 851-900
MA3 800-850
MA4 799-
I think you underestimate the competittiveness of intermediate versus advanced. I also typically see larger intermediate and advanced fields then rec, so all that would do is make one giant 900+ am pool, and 2-3 fractured up much smaller amateur pools.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 71
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I agree, a 900-969 MA1 field would be too huge, and unfair to the guys at the low end of the spectrum. In tournaments with a decent Advanced field, you will see some 1000 rated rounds. The MA2 players are going to top out around 950-960 usually. If they are shooting better than that, they probably aren't playing MA2.