Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 17 Times in 13 Posts

Clutch hands down, have a few gravity and protege. They fly straight win just a teeny bit of fade from ~35-50 and dead straight in the circle for me. Used to putt magnets and still putt P2s. But the clutch is making a case to become my putting putter. Better hand feel than the magnet and less dump than the p2. I vote clutch.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 8
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I carry 2 Protege Clutches and 2 Icon Clutches. Icons off the tee and windy upshots. Proteges for everyting else.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 86
Niced 266 Times in 138 Posts

Picked up an Icon Prowler and a Legend Hunter to start trying some Legacy putters. I would say the Hunter was more stable than I was expecting, and the Prowler was less stable than I was expecting. They are both basically laser straight on drives, with the Hunter a tick slower and floatier.

The Prowler actually showed a bit of HST on drives, like a beat Wizard. I was expecting more stability out of the box, especially in Icon.

They both putt really well. I surprisingly loved putting with the Hunter. I've been using Wizards for so long that I didn't expect to like a beadless putter.

Now I really want to try a Clozer to see if they are more stable, and get a Hunter in Protege or Gravity for putting.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 126
Niced 43 Times in 26 Posts

I don't use them much, but I liked the Clutch best for inside-the-circle and windy day putting. I really like Hunters and a driving putter for turnovers or hyzerflips .
Old 02-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been putting with Gravity Prowlers. Love the feel and grip especially in cold/wet conditions. Also been using a Sparkle Hunter for upshots and dead straight drives.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been using a gravity clutch that I really like. I just got a new prowler, but I have to say, I really don't like the new protege plastic at all. I have a Hunter in the old protege plastic and its awesome, grippy/chalky, but that same super stiff plastic. I want to try the Grippy protege version of the Clutch, but haven't gotten a chance to get my hands on one...

I'm not really sure why but I think I'd prefer the protege version of the clutch over the Gravity plastic. Not entirely sure why though...haha
Old 02-17-2016, 12:48 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I putt with gravity prowlers. Loved wizards but I have smaller hands, the prowler feels very very close with a smaller profile and bead. Gravity plastic because I don't like how stiff protege gets in the cold.

I've tried the clutch and it was ok. Haven't tried the Hunter at all but I'm curious and may end up buying one.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 51
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Clozers all day for me but i prefer beaded putters. The clutch is a great mold and i bag a Legend for putter drivers and its amazing! Have heard great, great things about the Hunter as well but again i like the bead. I wanted the Prowler to kick the clozers from my bag but it never happened.. they just werent quite as stable as i thought they would be but feel great in the hand... fwiw i carry 3x Protege Clozers for putting and upshots, Icon Clozer for drives and upshots (dont throw it a ton but nice to have the premi plastic option) and then a Legend Clutch for all my putter teeshots.. and tbh i think the Clutch in Legend plastic is one of the best mold/plastic combos i have ever seen in a throwing putter

Last edited by ian.; 02-18-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 113
Niced 40 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I switched from Clutches to Hunters. I get a cleaner "pop" on the release with them it seems. Plus, I didn't really jive with the Clutch for drives whereas I did instantly with the Hunter. So, in trying to consolidate molds, Hunter got the job. 2 Proteges for putting (they take turns and wear in evenly), a red sparkle and white Pinnacle for drives and upshots (Pinnacle is a bit more stable)
Haha, as much as I wanted to love them, I had to o back to Clutches. After playing a few windy tourneys this season, I realized I needed to incorporate more spin into my putts to fare better in the wind. Tried this with the Hunter and missed too often. Tried Clutches again and now I'm wondering why I ever switched.

Still don't jive with the Clutch for drives/approaches over 100' so I have kept the Hunters for everything 80-200' range.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

Picked up a trio of Clozers, the final Legacy putter I hadn't tried out. Three weeks of using them, went back to Prowler. It just wasn't a putter that worked for my putting style. I tend to go for a soft, floater at middle of the chain, Clutch earlier and then the Prowler both pretty much go where I aim (excluding the mis-releases).

However, Clozer was noticeably more OS than the Prowler (both are listed as Fade 2). Even from 20 feet, where the Prowler barely shows any fade, Clozer would be dumping left and splashing out left-side chains with my normal putts. So I would've needed to put more ooomph into the putt (increasing miss potential) or aim at the right-edge of the chains, again increasing misses.

Also, due to its OS nature even inside the circle, Clozer tended to land on an edge instead of flat, quite often resulting in rolls and longer comeback putts than with Prowler that pretty much lands flat with a similar putting stroke. To say nothing of long (60'+) putts on which I typically use the Hunter.

Ironically, given how OS the Clozer is, if I'm ever tossing a putter off the tee, it'll probably be the Clozer, seemed to get some nice releases with it, at least on field testing, do like the mini-bead on it.