Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 PM

Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default Newer player disc advice leopard vs leopard 3 vs valkyrie

Hey everyone, first time poster here.

I've been reading through posts for about an hour now and I want to get some advice on my specific situation now that I think I have an idea what I want to do. I've been playing for about 3-6 months now. Driving about 200-250 feet (RHBH) I'd say depending on if my form is good or not that throw and depending on disc choice.

Started with the dx leopard 150g in the starter pack that I soon began to overpower. Switched to a very overstable discmania FD C-line 170g and was happy with the extra control/consistency until I realized it's way too overstable and I was losing distance because I can't throw it fast enough and it was messing up my form. Went back to using my leopard and found that I can get a really nice S curve out of it and go slightly farther than my fd c-line so committed to trying to learn how to throw the dx leopard 150 with less power to get a good hyzer flip. I think the DX leopard is too understable now that it's worn in, plus i'm just generally getting more power in my throws. I also noticed a big difference in the weight as the 150g leopard is way easier to throw due to the light weight. By the end of a 18 hole course, those 170g discs feel pretty heavy to me and my form pays the price.

I got a few discs to try:
165 champ beast - too overstable, never flips and just hyzers out to the left even if I try to throw it flat. I think I'll need to grow into this one later.

171 dx valkyrie - Flies pretty well, started to get it to hyzer flip for me slightly after the 2nd round using it, but still doesn't feel like I'm getting as much distance on average as I did with the dx 150 leopard. Not sure if it's because of the extra weight? It was all they had at the store for Valkyries at the time.

170 champ valk - I tried my friends disc and this feels way more overstable than my dx valk, not able to get it to flip into a nice S curve, just turns to the left at the end.

I really like how the DX Valk flies, because it reminds me of the leopard if I put more energy into the throw, but still feels too heavy for me so either I'm not ready for a speed 9, or the extra weight is a problem.

I'm considering getting one of the following as a step up for my leopard because I know I should be able to get 300ft out of them, but I think mine is too beat in as a dx to keep using the one I have.

Options:
Pro Leopard - can get it as low as 150g to match what my old leopard feels like but hopefully a little more stable?
Leopard 3 - not sure what plastic to get, I've heard G* is a little less stable than the other 2 types so maybe that so I can get a nice S curve out of it but put slightly more power into it without it going to the ground?
DX Valk - but a lower weight like 150g to see if the lighter weight is easier on me since my form gets worse the more power I add to compensate?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. After buying some new discs i realized I'm really not ready for those 10+ speeds, and I need to go back to basics with lower speed and potentially lighter weight discs.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,349 Times in 683 Posts

I would go for a heavier Pro Leopard (165-170). It'll more than likely start a little more overstable than you want but will mellow with a little use and season into an old friend.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 462 Times in 280 Posts

Pro leopard. I ignored this disc for way too long in my search for a straight shooting, can do whatever I want, easy distance fairway. I’ve been throwing a 170g the past few months and it is fantastic. If you like the DX leopard but want a little more stability out of it it’s worth a try. If you want a little more overstability than that even, try a champ leopard. For your power and distance, it’s hard to beat a Leo.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,185 Times in 530 Posts

Unless you have some physical limitations/handicaps/injuries then the weight isn't the issue. You're just not getting the discs up to speed to realize their true flight potential. That's normal, and you'll get there with practice and form improvement.

If I were you I would keep the DX Valk and DX Leopard. Keep working with the Valk and using it as a benchmark, and the DX Leopard for turnover lines. If you want something between them, a Pro Leopard in the mid-160s would be a solid choice, but I would actually recommend that you grab yourself a 170ish midrange and putter of your choosing to build from. They'll go as far or farther than your current options most likely. Comet, Fuse, Mako3...something neutral/stable to start.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,066 Times in 1,540 Posts

Surprised to hear that a 171g Valkyrie feels 'heavy'; I wonder if it's actually heavier than it says.

Having said that, some people have a certain weight range preference. Mine is in the upper 160s, especially for faster discs. If your DX Valk seems heavy to you, you might order a lighter weight DX Valk online and see if it works out better for you.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 32
Niced 488 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I would go for a heavier Pro Leopard (165-170). It'll more than likely start a little more overstable than you want but will mellow with a little use and season into an old friend.
Agree. Don't go any faster than a Leopard. Pro plastic sounds just right & I think you'd be ok at max weight.

Spend time in a field with throwing putters. My personal recommendation is a Prodigy 400g PA4. Learn to power into a hyzer flip with this disc. Play entire rounds with it. Figure out how to engage your legs and core then onward to mids & fairway drivers. Take this advice and dominate your local enemies. I've planted the seeds.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:58 PM

Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

@Broken Shoulder, interesting you mention the Mako3. I also just got a Star Mako3 176g for christmas and have been trying to figure that bad boy out for upshots and starting to get the hang of it. It's my only mid range since I lost my old one that was one of the starter set 150gs, I think a shark? The only thing I don't like about it is the rim/grip seems way different than my drivers for the power grip I use for driving.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,185 Times in 530 Posts

Keep working it, both approaches and driving. And don't be afraid to experiment with a fan grip or something else.
Nothing like throwing a 250' or longer rope with a mid that barely turns or fades.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 313 Times in 185 Posts

with what you're able to throw now, I'd consider some mids like the Mako3. great complement to the Leo

Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 203 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentExodus04 View Post
@Broken Shoulder, interesting you mention the Mako3. I also just got a Star Mako3 176g for christmas and have been trying to figure that bad boy out for upshots and starting to get the hang of it. It's my only mid range since I lost my old one that was one of the starter set 150gs, I think a shark? The only thing I don't like about it is the rim/grip seems way different than my drivers for the power grip I use for driving.
I wouldn't try to power grip a Mako3 or any mids for that matter. Try using a hybrid/fan grip when throwing your mids. If you need more power, throw a driver. Mako3 is probably my favorite disc to throw. I use a hybrid fan grip where my index finger and pinky finger are on the rim and my middle and ring finger are on the plate. Try it out!