Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 221 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
Oakley's power isn't so much about his name on a specific disc as it is about his ability to be an ambassador for his brand. He's very outgoing, prolific on social media, and a memorable personality. He's a little goofy, not everyone on DGCR's cup of tea, but he draws attention to his brand.

Oakley as a sponsored player doesn't move a particular mold, but he does a lot of work to make DD more visible and consequently sell more discs. I'd wager that more casual disc golfers know who Eric Oakley is than about half the players in the top 25 world rankings.
I wish him and his wife nothing but the best, however....to me there is more marketing of his brand than substance in the form of performance. I find it much easier to root for players who speak with their performance primarily and as a result of that become marketable.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2018, 03:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,169 Times in 684 Posts

"players who speak with their performance primarily"

Not many too root for then, at most 10-15 players that can win big events. . . we need more players than that too root for or this sport will die fast. . .Players like Oakley and AJ are easy too like and root for even if they isn´t finish top 5

Niced: (2)
Old 12-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,141 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
^Dudes personality and devotion to the sport likely moves plastic, but I dont ever really see his placement in tourneys doing it much.
What would you have said if he was still part of Discmania.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
What would you have said if he was still part of Discmania.
I don't understand what angle you're looking for?

But when he was discmania I thought he was just eagles chaperone..

so whatever he and/or DD has done or enabled him to have the ability to do has made him very visible in the sport, even while not placing tops In mpo.

DD seems to have players that are light hearted jokesters that enjoy the game? He fits in well there and vice versa it seems

Niced: (2)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,416 Times in 1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
I don't understand what angle you're looking for?

But when he was discmania I thought he was just eagles chaperone..

so whatever he and/or DD has done or enabled him to have the ability to do has made him very visible in the sport, even while not placing tops In mpo.

DD seems to have players that are light hearted jokesters that enjoy the game? He fits in well there and vice versa it seems
Worth noting that Oakley, when he went from being Eagle's "chaperone" to a full time touring player (also when he became sponsored by DD), he was a 966 rated player coming off his first big win (Ft Steilacoom A-tier where he beat, among other 1000+ rated players, Eagle and Uli). Two and a half years later, he's 1013 rated with a handful of lead card appearances and top 10-15 finishes at elite events. Reasonable case to be made he's still on the rise.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 790 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
Oakley as a sponsored player doesn't move a particular mold, but he does a lot of work to make DD more visible and consequently sell more discs. I'd wager that more casual disc golfers know who Eric Oakley is than about half the players in the top 25 world rankings.
No doubt. But I'm guessing internally he's probably considered more like a hired employee than a sponsored player.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
No doubt. But I'm guessing internally he's probably considered more like a hired employee than a sponsored player.
I hope not, at least for his sake. I know you mean nothing by it, but from what has been said, the reason Oakley moved on from Discmania was due to the fact that he wanted to chase his dreams as a player and not an employee.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:45 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
"players who speak with their performance primarily"

Not many too root for then, at most 10-15 players that can win big events. . . we need more players than that too root for or this sport will die fast. . .Players like Oakley and AJ are easy too like and root for even if they isn´t finish top 5
He is very easy to root for. I root for AJ hard. I just am not a fan of "hey, hey, look at me, over here, doing things, with videos, look at me, look, hey you, hey, looooook." I would root for him much more if he did some commentary and the silly drone flyover antics without the peripheral "personal branding to excess." Maybe my opinion is unpopular with some, but thats the way I am rubbed by these sorts of things.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:50 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Worth noting that Oakley, when he went from being Eagle's "chaperone" to a full time touring player (also when he became sponsored by DD), he was a 966 rated player coming off his first big win (Ft Steilacoom A-tier where he beat, among other 1000+ rated players, Eagle and Uli). Two and a half years later, he's 1013 rated with a handful of lead card appearances and top 10-15 finishes at elite events. Reasonable case to be made he's still on the rise.
Look I am faaar from being an authority on form and technique, but...his form seems to me to be so touchy and flaily that the tiniest inconsistency in timing is/will be his undoing. But hey im just a guy with internets after all.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 615 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
I will tell you one DG media thing. Later this year the national broadcasting company is airing a half hour documentary about Tuomas Hyytiäinen, who won the first non-US Discmania Combine and became a Team Discmania player. The premiere is actually tomorrow, on my home course after a one-round competition.

You may ask "Who?" but the bigger question is, in what other country than Finland would they do something like that?
This is out now. If youre interested, go to: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum....php?p=3391593