Old 08-22-2019, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 963 Times in 512 Posts
Default Spin rate measurements?

Is there any existing data on spin rate in disc golf?

Are there any big tournaments, like NTs, where someone has a radar gun that can measure spin rate?

I would love to see some data, particularly how controllable it is.

E.G.
Can pros throw 30 mph shots with vastly different spin rates?
What about a full 65+mph drive?

At what speed does control over spin rate become so small it is negligible?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Might require a high speed camera over head shot with some kind of marking on the disc to count the revolutions.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinturnover View Post
Might require a high speed camera over head shot with some kind of marking on the disc to count the revolutions.
If it can be done for baseballs, I would think the same tech would work for a frolf disc.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 442 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
If it can be done for baseballs, I would think the same tech would work for a frolf disc.
Baseballs have spin that is visible from the side.
I don’t know what they are using but probably software that is looking though a fairly high speed camera and counting the seams.

I suppose if you had a mark on the edge of the disc you could see it from the side.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 36 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I don’t know what they are using but probably software that is looking though a fairly high speed camera and counting the seams.

I suppose if you had a mark on the edge of the disc you could see it from the side.
The only studies on disc golf spin rate I've seen have been done with discs dyed with checkerboard patterns and a camera mounted directly above the flight plane.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,159 Times in 573 Posts

"The common misconception is that people need to ... get more snap and spin on the disc. Neither Paul [McBeth] nor I nor any good thrower thinks anything about consciously snapping the disc on a drive. The disc rips out of the hand, and all the spin you will ever need comes just from the joints passing each other. So as the elbow passes the shoulder, and the wrist passes the elbow, that's all the spin you're ever going to need. Just from the arm coming around. So you don't need to actually think about spinning it, at all. The ONLY time we think about that stuff is shorter touch shots, where you are not getting a rip out."

-Nate Sexton

Old 08-22-2019, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post

No, they use radar for spin rate, I believe. I suppose it may need to be an overhead shot since the rim is so thin, but I think radar would work.

Quote:
According a briefing giving to the University of illinois physics department , Trackman’s Doppler radar is positioned high behind home plate and tracks the baseball collecting 48,000 measurements per second. It precisely measures the location, spin, angles, velocity and trajectory of a ball in flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
"The common misconception is that people need to ... get more snap and spin on the disc. Neither Paul [McBeth] nor I nor any good thrower thinks anything about consciously snapping the disc on a drive. The disc rips out of the hand, and all the spin you will ever need comes just from the joints passing each other. So as the elbow passes the shoulder, and the wrist passes the elbow, that's all the spin you're ever going to need. Just from the arm coming around. So you don't need to actually think about spinning it, at all. The ONLY time we think about that stuff is shorter touch shots, where you are not getting a rip out."

-Nate Sexton
This is exactly what I want data on - where is the line between "shorter touch shots" and "ripping out"?

I imagine the line is different for everyone.

I would also imagine that it is a benefit to the player to able throw those "touch" shots, where spin is consciously thought about and controlled, to higher speeds.

This, I think, is really the hypothesis I would like to try to confirm with actual data, but we'd need a huge amount of it.

Do the best players have more control of spin to a higher speed? Does having exceptional control of spin at low speeds actually correlate to a better short game? What about putting, where spin control is most obvious?

And even on the shots where they aren't actively controlling it, there must still be variance. It would be interesting to see who's shots have the widest/tightest ranges of spin rate.

It would also be interesting just to see who has the highest and lowest spin rates.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 12
Niced 899 Times in 493 Posts

Y'all be sure to nerd out on this one for a couple dozen pages, mkay?

Niced: (2)
Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 442 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
No, they use radar for spin rate, I believe. I suppose it may need to be an overhead shot since the rim is so thin, but I think radar would work.
If its radar then it is still evaluating the raised seams. Could be done with a reflective stripe on the edge of the disc maybe.

Quote:
I would also imagine that it is a benefit to the player to able throw those "touch" shots, where spin is consciously thought about and controlled, to higher speeds.
I don't know how much actual control anyone has. I know for touch shots some pros will vary their grip for less and maybe a lot less spin, but thats about it, and as far as I understand that has more to do with how they want it to land more than it does flight.

I would be curious though just from a nerding out aspect on different spin rates on drives between various throwers and discs.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,159 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
"Neither Paul [McBeth] nor I nor any good thrower thinks anything about consciously snapping the disc on a drive. . . So you don't need to actually think about spinning it, at all."

-Nate Sexton
BrentJacobs and Throwbot think about spinning ALL THE TIME.