Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,660 Times in 1,661 Posts
Default Plant foot backwards?

I can't seem to come down on my plant foot backwards BH. I rotate my plant foot forward almost 45 degrees toward target, right before it hits the ground, and I spin on it after the hit. I thinks its causing my hips to start early and robbing some good power and my throws tend to go right.

Any tips on getting the plant foot backward? I feel retarded trying to land it that way, and still can't get it close.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Mine is usually perpendicular to the target when I plant, then I rotate on it. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone who plants with their foot pointed all the way backward, I'll have to watch for that.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 78
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try watching this video and look at the second guy:

http://discraft.com/vid/html/dg16.html
Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 224
Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just changed to what you're trying to do and the biggest thing that helped me was to focus on reaching back as far as I can but without straining.

Also, I made my run up much more diagonal across the tee box (from back right to front left).

I lost a lot more eye contact with my target being turned so much and reaching back so far but my accuracy skyrocketed along with my distance.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 AM
* Ace Member *

So butt cheek pointing toward target from the video, that might help to focus on. I did notice I seem to be straining to get a good reach back, and not used to looking away from the target like that. I do go back right to front left of tee unless I'm throwing a big hyzer. I think keeping my plant foot more backwards will also help keep the nose down.

It was funny having an audience practicing at the school field today. There was a soccer game, but everyone began watching me and cheering me instead of the game. I hit my camera and I almost made a 350' 3 pointer to the basketball hoop! I got a standing ovation. lol.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I can't seem to come down on my plant foot backwards BH. I rotate my plant foot forward almost 45 degrees toward target, right before it hits the ground, and I spin on it after the hit. I thinks its causing my hips to start early and robbing some good power and my throws tend to go right.

Any tips on getting the plant foot backward? I feel retarded trying to land it that way, and still can't get it close.
What makes you think you want your plant foot backwards? I'd recommend somewhere from 90 degrees away to pointing at the target. Exactly where it lands isn't really something that I'd worry about focusing on, though. If you're rotating your hips right and shifting your weight correctly it will just take care of itself.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Watching the top pros, they tend to land the plant foot almost completely backwards and where their plant foots ends up after pivoting, is where my foot lands before I even pivot. I end up facing to the right of the target after the hit and my throws tend to go right.

http://www.discgolftour.com/videos/B...istance_18.AVI
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

whether or not your body can physically land with plant foot backwards is one thing - but i think it's something you want to try for which will force you to get more whip. The more the angle the more whip you'll get.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuzz9 View Post
whether or not your body can physically land with plant foot backwards is one thing - but i think it's something you want to try for which will force you to get more whip. The more the angle the more whip you'll get.
Exactly. Planting like that gives more more oppertunity for lower body "whip," but it won't necessarily encourage it.

That's also just one video and an extreme case. Here are a bunch of clips of guys planting much closer to 90 degrees:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...analysis.shtml

Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 78
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

heh...you had to post a video of Stickboy Blakely. That video looks like it was taken at Turtle Creek. His foot isn't pointed backwards...just angled slightly backwards...his bigazz clownfeet take a while to come around. But you are right...if you have your toes pointed toward the basket on plant..you have already opened up your hips and are robbing yourself power.

Matt is an excellent person to learn from..everytime I play a round with him he teaches me something new that is so friggin obvious....after the fact...I wonder why I never even attempted it to start with. He's taught me much about shot selection/disc selection that has reduced my scores by 3-4 strokes without me physically getting any better.

Here's another observation that may help...if you are looking at pros to mimic their form....make sure you find a pro that has a very similar body style. If you are short and fat...don't try to mimic someone that is tall and lean...and vice versus. Every body type may have to do things differently to get the same or similar result.