Old 06-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Casual Water

Off the tee I went slightly right into a low lying area covered with water after recent heavy rains. There was no going further right or backwards for relief, the area was submerged. Taking relief directly lateral to the left was needed to get to slightly higher ground. But going directly lateral moved me "closer" to the pin by bringing me back in a direct line with it, Pythagorean Theorem and all that. There was an objection that direct lateral relief was "moving closer to the pin". True if you are a Geometry major but nobody brought a compass and protractor and I wasn't about to start trying to guess triangulation distances or arcs along a curve. The distance moved laterally was maybe 2 meters and don't ask me distance from there to pin, maybe 110 feet. I threw a mid-range on next shot. What should have been done? Did I need to come back diagonally from the casual water so as not to be "closer" and if so how in the world would the proper angle/distance be determined.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 688
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,493 Times in 676 Posts

You play it from the location in the casual water or go back on the line of play (lining up your disc with the basket) up to 5m. Those do not cost you a penalty. If you are still not out of the water going 5m back, you can go back as far as you want and add a 1-throw penalty or you can rethrow your shot with a 1-throw penalty. There is no option to move sideways from your disc in the water even if it would not move you closer to the basket.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 307
Niced 2,069 Times in 1,023 Posts

So, if your disc lands in standing water, and there's no dry spot within 5.0 m going back along the LOP from the basket through your disc, you're choices boil down to:

a) throw from the water: penalty is wet feet for the rest of the round, but no strokes
b) throw from more than 5m back along LOP: + 1 stroke penalty
c) rethrow from previous lie: + 1 stroke penalty

Did I comprehend correctly?

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 06-14-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 100 Times in 70 Posts

My lie is in casual water, so I take relief 5m back. If I'm still in casual water, I am in the same situation; my lie is in casual water. Why can I not take 5m back?

I'm not taking 10m from my lie in casual water, I'm taking 5m from my lie in casual water.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 307
Niced 2,069 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
My lie is in casual water, so I take relief 5m back. If I'm still in casual water, I am in the same situation; my lie is in casual water. Why can I not take 5m back?

I'm not taking 10m from my lie in casual water, I'm taking 5m from my lie in casual water.
That seems like wishing for 3 more wishes...
Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 PM

Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rule 803.01B clearly says you take relief, you do not play from casual water. You may take relief at the nearest lie no closer. There is nothing about cannot go in a certain direction, other than line of play. So moving to "nearest" lie seems straightforward - come directly out of the water and do not advance toward the pin. No?
Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 40 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post

Quote:
the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie
You cannot get relief from the relocated lie, only the original lie.
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 688
Niced 1,493 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
So, if your disc lands in standing water, and there's no dry spot within 5.0 m going back along the LOP from the basket through your disc, you're choices boil down to:

a) throw from the water: penalty is wet feet for the rest of the round, but no strokes
b) throw from more than 5m back along LOP: + 1 stroke penalty
c) rethrow from previous lie: + 1 stroke penalty

Did I comprehend correctly?
Yes.
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 100 Times in 70 Posts

Maybe ... but I feel like I'm just asking that a rule pertaining to my lie pertains to my lie. Even though I am being slightly fececious in my rhetoric, I really do feel I should be able to do it. Not allowing me to take 5m is based on a lie that no longer exists.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 40 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiJack View Post
Rule 803.01B clearly says you take relief, you do not play from casual water. You may take relief at the nearest lie no closer. There is nothing about cannot go in a certain direction, other than line of play. So moving to "nearest" lie seems straightforward - come directly out of the water and do not advance toward the pin. No?
It says you "may" take relief, but you are not required to.

It also says relief must be on the line of play (line from pin to disc). So if you do opt to take relief, you must move backwards along that line. If you have to move back more than 5 meters, you must take a stroke penalty.