Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?
Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded. 27 17.53%
The sun is hotter than it used to be! 17 11.04%
The attitude that Ed's dead long live McBeth.. Don't these kids know where we came from! 0 0%
Trading "hippies" for "hipsters" 14 9.09%
Too many discs! Back in my day it was a putter, mid and driver. 10 6.49%
The reclassification of my current distance driver as a "fairway driver" 4 2.60%
Mowed and manicured courses, back in my day the rough was rough! 3 1.95%
Thumber, tomahawks, OH.. That's not how a disc is supposed to fly dumbass 8 5.19%
Some 14 year old throwing 200' further than me. 52 33.77%
I've got my own complaint.. See below. 19 12.34%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2019, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 730 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Can I post even though I'm 30? I play like a master's player though...

https://youtu.be/jEi17Lc-bpU

Get offa my lawn- Billy C Wirtz
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2019, 10:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 517
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 152 Times in 72 Posts

This thread is too funny! I can't stand the current hipsters and their self-rightous, fakebook, politically correct, all about their fam attitudes. I think I just described most of the younger generation. They can't stand seeing someone doing better than them, and will never put in the hard work to be successful.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 118
Niced 67 Times in 31 Posts

Even though I'm 58 I've only been playing for a little over 3 years. I don't know what it was like "back in the day".

I do know that in tournaments it's almost always more fun playing in an age protected division than with younger guys. The young guys get so mad and gumpy when something goes wrong and they stay that way for a while. In the old guy divisions we'll more than likely laugh and poke fun at each other. We might cuss for 10 seconds about out lack of concentration but we get over it. It makes the weekend more enjoyable playing 3 long rounds in 2 days when the group is fun. Hell, even one round at a weekly tag match there are people I don't want on my card because they're just not fun to be around when we play.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 930 Times in 507 Posts

I've only played a few mini's now but have had younger guys on my card each time. I've also latched onto some in a round and all have been unfailingly polite and a pleasure to play with. It's when some of them start posting on the interwebs that a breakdown occurs.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 212 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
Starlite sidewinder for the win!

I kind of hate the argument that us fellow old farts use saying "there were less overstable sidearm friendly molds back in my day" as a reason for not learning the sidearm.
Yeah, the conventional wisdom I had access to in 1996 (when the internet was still largely text-only, forget about stuff like YouTube videos on proper form!) was that forehands needed way overstable discs. I never saw good players throwing forehands with regular Cyclones or other stable ones. What else was available besides the Cyclone and Cheetah prior to the Gazelle being widespread anyway? Not much, and you can imagine forehands with them weren't going to forgive bad form very much.

Mark Ellis persuaded me in like '97 to abandon the Barracuda and throw forehands with X-Clones. That was the first time I could reach 300' with anything.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 517
Niced 152 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb3 View Post
Even though I'm 58 I've only been playing for a little over 3 years. I don't know what it was like "back in the day".

I do know that in tournaments it's almost always more fun playing in an age protected division than with younger guys. The young guys get so mad and gumpy when something goes wrong and they stay that way for a while. In the old guy divisions we'll more than likely laugh and poke fun at each other. We might cuss for 10 seconds about out lack of concentration but we get over it. It makes the weekend more enjoyable playing 3 long rounds in 2 days when the group is fun. Hell, even one round at a weekly tag match there are people I don't want on my card because they're just not fun to be around when we play.
Agreed. I've only been playing the age-protected division for two years, but they have been so much more fun. I do miss being pushed by the younger guys and beating them. I get enjoyment out of their whining and worrying about potential sponsorship.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.1
Courses Played: 374
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 110 Times in 57 Posts

1. Even Timber in Estacada is crowded now. Gonna hafta start hanging at Blue Lake.
2. My metabolism is slower and my ardor is cooler, so it all balances out.
3. Same as it ever was.
4. Been in Portland since '94. Ready for something besides hipsters since '02.
5. Back in MY day it was yer ultimate lid, and ONLY yer ultimate lid.
6. No one throws a Fastback anymore.
7. Back in the day we had no baskets, tees, or fairways.
8. I could throw my lid 85 yds. with a thumber. As a lefty, I was already a "cheater".
9. It's the 14 yo who's already a millionaire that really pisses me off.
10. Now I feel better.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 05-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,919 Times in 809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Can I post even though I'm 30? I play like a master's player though...
shade to shade?

Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 99 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
I'm an newly 40yo fart and have a complaint about us older than 40 crowd:

Yo old guy: just because you can't throw a sidearm more than 199ft doesn't mean you have to expound that throwing a riskier backhand turnover is a better shot. moreover why is your backhand turnover garbage a better shot than a sidearm turnover?!

I say to your OLD MAN "GET OF MY LAWN" LOGIC, "you get of MY LAWN".

I get this a ton because I'm left handed over 40yo and play with a great group of even older gentlemen. When they are throwing their old man 145g starlite terns with Right handed backhand hyzers 300ft and its my turn to throw I'll inevitably get the "you should throw a backhand turnover here" and I scoff and sidearm a left hand hyzer with a fairway driver just as well.

i started playing dg at 37yo and was lucky enough not to be so dependent on what i started throwing (left hand backhand) and slowly learned how sidearm to the point where I can sidearm pretty much as confidently as my backhand. it took a year and a half (to learn proper form) but it got there. turnover putter flick (i can do it!), hyzer putter flick (yup!), 350 distance driver flex (hells yeah), sidearm midrange hyzer approach from 200 (yeah baby).

don't be afraid to learn new things fellow older people! this year I'm learning how to do overhead shots (tomahawks and thumbers). maybe I'll learn how to do distance rollers too.
Good luck with that tomahawk throwing as you get older pal! I know a couple of guys a few years younger than me (I'm 61) that have had bad problems with their rotator cuffs and shoulders in general from throwing it too much. They now play MUCH less disc golf as a result of the problems they caused themselves.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 245
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

Embrace the march of time. We geezers 'round this part put together a bag tag league/club. 50 y/o and above only. We have get togethers, a couple tournaments and find ourselves in many a lawn chair circle after events.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/league...HE_LEAGUE_2019

Niced: (1)