Old 05-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 118
Niced 67 Times in 31 Posts

I started playing at 54, almost 55. I'm 58 now.

At first I thought the game was all about distance. Now i know better. Being able to throw the shot the hole requires and not go off into the weeds is so much more important.

That said, i do have a decent arm. I throw 380 on a easy hyzer and 400-440 RHBH when I get a D2 or D3 to turn. With with a power forehand I expect 345 or so, 370 if I get the weight transfer correct but that's rare. No, these aren't wild shots. They're controlled

Distance does help, A LOT. I can throw a mid 350 and get it to land soft and avoid the big skips a driver would take into danger. Being able to power an overstable fairway uphill under a low canopy is a very useful consistent shot.

I *have* realized that if i can't reach the green, can't reach the green safely, or I'm just not having a great day... Place a shot in position so my next shot can get me an easy putt. I've learned to play golf.

I'm now getting the consistency shaping shots that I need to compete with really good players that have been playing 10, 15 or more years.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 133 Times in 75 Posts

One of my favorite local players is in his early 50's. He doesn't throw anything more than about 330 feet. You never watch his shots and say, "wow, i wish i could do that", because he never does anything you can't do. He just plays smart and consistent, and he consistently beats players that have much more power than him and have a wider shot arsenal to work with. I'm trying to learn to play like him, but I'm much more likely to play 15 holes of great golf and then throw double OB on the other 3 holes

Old 05-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 12
Niced 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb3 View Post
I started playing at 54, almost 55. I'm 58 now.

At first I thought the game was all about distance. Now i know better. Being able to throw the shot the hole requires and not go off into the weeds is so much more important.

That said, i do have a decent arm. I throw 380 on a easy hyzer and 400-440 RHBH when I get a D2 or D3 to turn. With with a power forehand I expect 345 or so, 370 if I get the weight transfer correct but that's rare. No, these aren't wild shots. They're controlled

Distance does help, A LOT. I can throw a mid 350 and get it to land soft and avoid the big skips a driver would take into danger. Being able to power an overstable fairway uphill under a low canopy is a very useful consistent shot.

I *have* realized that if i can't reach the green, can't reach the green safely, or I'm just not having a great day... Place a shot in position so my next shot can get me an easy putt. I've learned to play golf.

I'm now getting the consistency shaping shots that I need to compete with really good players that have been playing 10, 15 or more years.
Man, I would love to be able to throw like that...........

Old 05-07-2019, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,637 Times in 718 Posts

There is a certain satisfaction in adding up the scores at the end of a round and seeing surprise in the eyes of the younger, big arms. As they picked up 6 birdies and end up +2 for the round and I quietly shoot a -1 with only a couple birdies. They usually cannot figure out how, a seemingly quiet, unspectacular round beat them.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 737 Times in 516 Posts

Yup holding it together is invaluable.. I won one tournament.. Came in really wet, really cranky, and really late compared to the other groups. Someone asked what I shot and I'd lost 3 bad strokes because of weather and slow group.. My response was something like "******* -14" and they're "you're sure?" I'm like "yeah I crapped it on the last 3 holes". " Well you just won by a stroke!"

Old 05-07-2019, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 833 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3216 View Post
330-340' is about the most I can get.(
I've played with 50+ ams and pros. If you can routinely throw 330 accurately off the tee, you are right there with them. However.. the game is lost and won in our division from 200ft in. Your approach and putting game has to be on point. There will always be a few guys that can air bomb 400, but again...it's all about the short game. Congrats, sounds like you're doing awesome. Took me much longer to get that kind of distance.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 108 Times in 63 Posts

I started at the age of 50, 58 now. I worked out a few things along the way. Weight matters at our age. I needed to throw further and dropping down in weight on my drivers added distance. Some of my drivers are down at 150g. Not the Blizzard or Air stuff since rims break down to quickly.

Keep in mind the discs get flippy as you drop down in weight. So really stable 150g disc turns over and then will flex adding that elusive distance you are after. there are some other factors as well but you can get where you want to be by selecting proper weights.

Don't take my word, take a moment and go to YouTube and look at the "Best Disc Golf Disc" series and see if they can help you find the information you need to go after a bit more distance.

This video "How to Choose the Right Disc Golf Driver Weight" covers the science and the rest of the series will cover a list of items useful for your game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3216 View Post
I picked up the game at 50, and started playing rounds regularly at 52. I'm 54 now, and I'm not where I thought I'd be at this point, but I think I'm moving forward.

Two years ago, I was maxing out at 300', and I figured I would be throwing 400' by now, but not even close. 330-340' is about the most I can get. But I've become much more efficient at getting to the basket, throwing the drive that gives me the best second shot. I know my disks, and I keep it simple, rarely regretting my choice. Max distance? Starlite Wraith. Headwind drive? MF Thunderbird. 300' on a rail? Champ Sidewinder. 275' approach? Fusion EMac Truth. Hyzer approach? Gator or Justice. Turnover approaches? GStar Aviar or Mako3.

Two weeks ago, I threw even par, 18 straight pars, on my home course, which is wide open, and fairly long. That means I left three birdies on this course, but there are three par threes that are unreachable, so having no bogies is pretty amazing. Yesterday, I played 18 technical wooded holes on another course and ended up five strokes clear of two players who are better than I am.

The player I was two years ago would not be impressed with the player I am now. If we were to play, he would have a hard time understanding why he was getting his butt kicked.

I guess what has surprised me most is how little physically has changed in my game, but how much has changed between the ears.

For those of you who have picked up the game for the first time at 40 or older, have you progressed in a similar way?

FYI, I would still like to throw 400'; I just haven't figured that part out yet.......
Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Niced 50 Times in 15 Posts

I am 58 and have been playing for eight years. My first four were similar to the OP. Injuries than greatly slowed my progress.

Now, I have come to realize I need to spend less time playing and practicing, and more time on my fitness and endurance if I am to have any chance of improving my scores.

Also, I am reducing everything. I have a cart and tournament bag, but I am now carrying the lightest shoulder bag I could find that would hold a dozen discs. And those discs are collectively lighter, slower and more versatile. For instance, I have a Pro Thunderbird that barely turns or fades bh, fh or thumber. I can grip it in all conditions and it absorbs tree hits. I have other discs that will outperform it for all those shots, but the marginal improvements aren’t worth the loss of consistency or added weight. Boring is scoring when you’re playing for par, and the less you drag around the course with you the more energy you have to give to your game.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-10-2019, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 737 Times in 516 Posts

Yep I'm a huge believer in my double nutsac.. A lot of times I only play with one pocket full so I can still play with it on my back, sometimes I use a carabiner to clip it on to my belt loop as well so it stays put

Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 12
Niced 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
There is a certain satisfaction in adding up the scores at the end of a round and seeing surprise in the eyes of the younger, big arms. As they picked up 6 birdies and end up +2 for the round and I quietly shoot a -1 with only a couple birdies. They usually cannot figure out how, a seemingly quiet, unspectacular round beat them.
What you said. Although I aspire to throw farther, in the end, I want to maximize what I do best.