Old 05-08-2019, 01:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 670 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disclover55 View Post
Not the longest but the shortest was a Daedalus I found , hearing it was easy distance by Dave D. and others It was a big meat hook of a disc. No glide what so ever. No I don't have a big arm at 65. This disc in champ , weight unknown is a big worthless giant turd of a disc. Nice looking disc though.
The Daedalus is a bit of a mysterious mold. I've thrown about 10 of them in champion, star, and G*. They run the whole gamut from super flippy to fairly glideless and beefy. Not a really consistent mold. I feel like the Shryke obsoleted the Daedalus when it came out. The Shryke has the same general flight characteristics, but does them all better.

The best Daedaluses I've seen have been domey. The flat ones are stubborn and don't glide well.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2019, 01:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
Yeah Dave said he has 350-390 foot distance and he says that the Daedalus allows him to "keep up" with his buddy that throws 500 feet. Bull ****.
He says this in this video.
https://youtu.be/E5dIzNa7o4w
A Daedalus will NOT suddenly add 100' to someone's drives. The first couple I tried were disappointing. With the Daedalus you need some dome. The mold in general isn't very domey, so finding domey ones isn't that easy.

I feel that the Tern and Shryke both blow the Daedalus away. That said, I've actually thrown a couple (rare) Daedaluses that will bomb with anything out there. I reiterate that they are rare. Most Daedaluses are very ordinary drivers. It definitely isn't the first mold I'd pick to throw long bombs with.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:23 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 118
Niced 67 Times in 31 Posts

I throw almost exclusively at sea level.

1. Proton Catalyst - When it glides with the wind it goes farther than anything else I've thrown. I don't bag it because it's not much use in anything but a tail wind. It's too glidey for me to feel comfortable with controlling where it lands. Can get it out close to 500 but I'm never really sure how far left or right it'll be. Not worth the risk but man does it go.
2. D3 - My favorite long bomber. The new 750G D3s go a long way right out of the box and I expect them to add another 40-50 feet as they start to season. I figure if I put in a little time throwing them they'll be going out to around 450. The 400G D3s that I have are reliably long.
3. D2 - Really controlled long flight that doesn't fade as hard as a Destroyer. I've got some that'll turn and ride quite a while before it hooks up.
4. D1 - Broken in 400G and the new 750G D1s are great for a long really controlled flight. Consistent 400 foot drives, pinpoint accuracy.
5. Neutron Dimension - I found one at Christmas on vacation and gave it a few throws. Holy Cow! It explodes out of the hand and travels down range as fast as anything else I've thrown. Forehand and backhand this thing accelerates and doesn't want to stop. I really don't need another distance drive mold. But wow. You have to get it up to speed but if you slam it you'll be rewarded.

I don't throw really far but then most courses I play really don't reward 450+ drives. If I push over a D3 on a high line they'll go a long way but the lines really aren't there for that shot anywhere.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 249 Times in 143 Posts

I usually stick with one manufacturer so it would be hard to make a top 10. That being said, i recently started throwing mvp/axiom. Its incredible how far their drivers go. The Octane/Mayhem/Catalyst are all insanely long. Especially the Catalyst....WOW. I dont like the rim feel or the sensitivity of it in the wind, but it BOMBS.

I have had several ppl run out and buy a octane/mayhem/catalyst after they seen me throw it. I still dont believe that its ME throwing. Never thrown so far in my life. I instantly started outdriving my friend by 50-70ft. We were equals before.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,148 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
Yeah Dave said he has 350-390 foot distance and he says that the Daedalus allows him to "keep up" with his buddy that throws 500 feet. Bull ****.
He says this in this video.
https://youtu.be/E5dIzNa7o4w
Not picking on the Daedalus, but a few years back it was 'the thing' to say that discs would add a lot of distance and be 'easy distance', etc. DD (Dynamic Discs) said it about the Freedom, and DD (Dave Dunipace) said it in your example above. Obviously not the case.

As to the Daedalus, I got a barely used Star Daedalus at a price too good to pass up. I think it was 175g. I remember it being okay but nothing exceptional. Never really was picked up by the pros, never caught on amongst the proletarian DG masses...
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,148 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I usually stick with one manufacturer so it would be hard to make a top 10. That being said, i recently started throwing mvp/axiom. Its incredible how far their drivers go. The Octane/Mayhem/Catalyst are all insanely long. Especially the Catalyst....WOW. I dont like the rim feel or the sensitivity of it in the wind, but it BOMBS.

I have had several ppl run out and buy a octane/mayhem/catalyst after they seen me throw it. I still dont believe that its ME throwing. Never thrown so far in my life. I instantly started outdriving my friend by 50-70ft. We were equals before.
The Wave, Inertia, and Impulse were like that for me, especially the Wave. Not especially glidey, but I was getting good distance even in higher weights.

I guess Gyro really is real.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post

I have 1 Catalyst and love it. That disc absolutely bombs.

I've thrown 3 or 4 Octanes and never had quite as great of luck with them. I mean, they go far, but they aren't cracking my top 10 list. Same could be said for the Mayhem. That thing flew exactly like an Octane for me.

I've never thrown the Dimension.

I've had poor luck with the Wave. Thrown at least 4 of them. I find them to lack glide and be short. They're erratically flippy too. Its almost like someone tried to duplicate the Tern, but failed pretty bad. For that speed level I HAVE thrown the Vanish, and liked it a lot. Much easier to bomb than the Wave.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Not picking on the Daedalus, but a few years back it was 'the thing' to say that discs would add a lot of distance and be 'easy distance', etc. DD (Dynamic Discs) said it about the Freedom, and DD (Dave Dunipace) said it in your example above. Obviously not the case.

As to the Daedalus, I got a barely used Star Daedalus at a price too good to pass up. I think it was 175g. I remember it being okay but nothing exceptional. Never really was picked up by the pros, never caught on amongst the proletarian DG masses...
Like I said earlier, I'm hit or miss on the Daedalus. My favorite ones have been domey champions. Those things will bomb with anything on the market. A heavy, domey champ Daedalus has enough stability to not turn and burn on hard rips. They glide well and soar on majestic S curves.

The main problem with the Daedalus is that most of them tend to be flat. Finding a good, domey one can be difficult. I also don't much care for them in G* plastic. They're always really flat, flippy, and seem to lack glide.

I'd still rather have an average Daedalus over ANY Freedom though. The Daedalus is a much better disc overall, far easier to throw without totally flipping.

I can think of a few discs on the market today that are good for "easy distance", but the Daedalus and Freedom aren't. You actually have to put work in to make those ones fly.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 05-08-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb3 View Post
I throw almost exclusively at sea level.

1. Proton Catalyst - When it glides with the wind it goes farther than anything else I've thrown. I don't bag it because it's not much use in anything but a tail wind. It's too glidey for me to feel comfortable with controlling where it lands. Can get it out close to 500 but I'm never really sure how far left or right it'll be. Not worth the risk but man does it go.
2. D3 - My favorite long bomber. The new 750G D3s go a long way right out of the box and I expect them to add another 40-50 feet as they start to season. I figure if I put in a little time throwing them they'll be going out to around 450. The 400G D3s that I have are reliably long.
3. D2 - Really controlled long flight that doesn't fade as hard as a Destroyer. I've got some that'll turn and ride quite a while before it hooks up.
4. D1 - Broken in 400G and the new 750G D1s are great for a long really controlled flight. Consistent 400 foot drives, pinpoint accuracy.
5. Neutron Dimension - I found one at Christmas on vacation and gave it a few throws. Holy Cow! It explodes out of the hand and travels down range as fast as anything else I've thrown. Forehand and backhand this thing accelerates and doesn't want to stop. I really don't need another distance drive mold. But wow. You have to get it up to speed but if you slam it you'll be rewarded.

I don't throw really far but then most courses I play really don't reward 450+ drives. If I push over a D3 on a high line they'll go a long way but the lines really aren't there for that shot anywhere.
D3s are VERY legit distance. I have a couple and they soar as far as anything I own. I'd compare them to star Shrykes. High speed turn and lots of glide.

D2 is a little beefier for me. Still long, but not quite like the D3.

Catalyst is an absolute masher. Its my favorite MVP disc easily.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 249 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The Wave, Inertia, and Impulse were like that for me, especially the Wave. Not especially glidey, but I was getting good distance even in higher weights.

I guess Gyro really is real.
My friend has a wave and likes it for tailwind bombs only.
I just got to messing with inertias. So far the N 173g i have is a straight and long flyer. I think it will be perfect for the vultures im trying to replace. Flies like the FR Z flat Vultures i had.

I will take a peek at the impulse.

Gyro is def real but i still dont know if that translates to a "better" disc. Im finding it just "different" than non overmolds.

I would love to see more ppl with 500ft power throwing them.