Old 06-10-2019, 05:30 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tourneys with age groups

Is there a way to simple way to search past tournaments to find which had large age protected divisions. Outside of Am Worlds I’ve never played with more 2 or 3 guys my own age.
I know past registrations are not a for sure indicator of future numbers but at least it might be a little helpful.

Tia
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,200 Times in 2,229 Posts

Not really that I know of. You can do advanced searches on the pdga site but number of players isn't an option. If you are an AM, I would just look for Btier or higher events that are AM only or "No Kids Allowed" type events. If you live anywhere near central Kentucky, Bowling Green AMs has a pretty good showing in the Grandmasters and usually has a couple Seniors also...

Niced: (1)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/38703

This was BG Ams this year. 22in 60+ and 13+ in 65+.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

This is another with a good 50+ and 60+ crowd.(I'm guessing you are at least 50 since 40+ divisions are usually pretty solid in most places). Glass Blown Open in Kansas.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/38651

I guess it would help to know what region of the country you are in? and if you are willing to travel for these multi-day events. Finding a one day event with large numbers of seniors would probably not be easy unless someone is running a masters+ only series, or maybe an established masters only event but those aren't in abundance.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 06-10-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Oh... something just came to mind. A lot(if not all) states have something called "State Senior Games" where they do an Olympic style events program. Some of the states include disc golf. So you might want to search your state senior games site.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 329 Times in 208 Posts

Yep big events like ledgestone have good turnouts in the age protected divisions, otherwise it's a crapshoot. Now that the PDGA has allowed TD's to offer split age protected divisions it's going to be even be harder to find people to play against in smaller tournaments. Now (in most cases) if you want to play against more than one or two people you have two options: you can play with younger players or not play tournaments.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 364
Niced 1,668 Times in 818 Posts

One thing I've done is to look up players in my division who I know play a lot of tournaments, then see where they are going to play in their upcoming events.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,941 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Yep big events like ledgestone have good turnouts in the age protected divisions, otherwise it's a crapshoot. Now that the PDGA has allowed TD's to offer split age protected divisions it's going to be even be harder to find people to play against in smaller tournaments. Now (in most cases) if you want to play against more than one or two people you have two options: you can play with younger players or not play tournaments.
Smaller tournaments around here are not offering the 5 year divisional breaks. There are tons of opportunities in this area to play in age based divisions of more than just a couple people. MP50 is the largest pro division other than open at most events. MA40 and MA50 both get good turnout as well.

To the OP: where are you, how old are you and how skilled are you at dg?

Niced: (2)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

I've come to the conclusion that the way to go to get bigger turnouts for the divisions that are typically on the small side at traditional tournaments is to create events just for those divisions. It works for women's events. It works for junior events. It absolutely should work with age protected events.

Locally, that's exactly what has happened this year. A couple MA50 players have organized a series of unsanctioned tournaments in the state that only offer Masters divisions (pro and am, in 10 year increments, male and female). The first event over Memorial Day weekend drew 57 players. They've got four more scheduled plus a final at the end of the season. Separate from the series, they also put together a Masters only B-tier this past weekend that drew 54 players. It's been great to see. The epitome of "if you build it, they will come".

This is my first year eligible for Masters. What I've done is network with the other local Masters (a bunch of us are in a group chat) so that we can communicate which tourneys we're looking at playing and seeing if we can't ensure that we have competitors to make the division worthwhile. It hasn't always worked out and I've had to resort to playing MPO at a couple events (which I expected and welcome). But between that and the Masters series, I've already gotten to participate in a few tournaments where the Masters division was nearly as big as Open.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 245
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

Communication and activity within the age protected crowd is very important. We have a nice "cyber" bag tag league of 50+ guys and girls. We try to communicate as to which tournaments we are playing and which cater to our needs best. Things like a TD that starts the old guys on close holes, plays shorter tees, free motrin........

https://www.discgolfscene.com/league...HE_LEAGUE_2019

We also have a Michigan Masters tournament as a few here have said is available in their areas as well.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourna...n_Masters_2019