Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,182 Times in 2,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Yes, can we get that Finland vs USA ( and Sweden ) rivaly we get in ice hockey
...or women's soccer.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 273 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Just watched the FPO R4 and i feel lots of the tension came from LOTS of waiting on each hole. . but then, have Cat and PP ever really liked each other?

I don´t think PP likes to been called No2, and now Cat is rated higher. . .a little frustration from PP ?
I believe, but could be wrong, they used to be travel buddies back when they were both Prodigy players.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,592 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Ah. CCDG replaced the video I watched (and probably Jolt also). They must have added a comment on Heimburg's throw.
Only change was to fix a commentary timing issue.

Niced: (3)
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,764 Times in 422 Posts

First of all. That comment was kinda taken out of context. Go to the PDGA YouTube page and watch the last minute of the video during Paige's interview and listen to the entire context of the quote. Basically saying it isn't that great compared to the years where they each dominated to start out. There was NO shot taken. Anyone saying otherwise seems to be trying to stir up controversy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y2bg15xXgQ

As far as the demeanor of the card during play, it was a bit cold. I was there this time on the catch cam, so I didn't get a lot of the downtime talk up close. Cat wasn't happy with her play, and was slightly annoyed at the crowd who were cheering for every shot (even bad ones). But, there were times that I did see Cat smile and interact well with her card mates and other competitors on the course during backups. So take that for whatever it is worth.

I kinda feel like the relationship is similar to Ricky/Paul. They can be friendly with each other (Cat did Paige's Nice Line YouTube series), but when you are constantly compared and competing it probably grows into a rivalry that you can't help but feed into at times.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:42 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,149 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
First of all. That comment was kinda taken out of context. Go to the PDGA YouTube page and watch the last minute of the video during Paige's interview and listen to the entire context of the quote. Basically saying it isn't that great compared to the years where they each dominated to start out. There was NO shot taken. Anyone saying otherwise seems to be trying to stir up controversy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y2bg15xXgQ

As far as the demeanor of the card during play, it was a bit cold. I was there this time on the catch cam, so I didn't get a lot of the downtime talk up close. Cat wasn't happy with her play, and was slightly annoyed at the crowd who were cheering for every shot (even bad ones). But, there were times that I did see Cat smile and interact well with her card mates and other competitors on the course during backups. So take that for whatever it is worth.

I kinda feel like the relationship is similar to Ricky/Paul. They can be friendly with each other (Cat did Paige's Nice Line YouTube series), but when you are constantly compared and competing it probably grows into a rivalry that you can't help but feed into at times.
I haven't seen the interview, but I've been watching the Disc Golf Guy's FPO coverage of the last round (and thanks for that, btw), and Paige Pierce has done a very good and fair commentary, explaining when Catrina was irritated at the crowd or someone moving while she was putting, etc. Very commendable commentary by PP.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I have a hard time believing any touring players truly dislike each other, but I can certainly envision situations where tensions during a round can run high and players might snipe at one another. But after the round, everything cools down and everyone's okay with one another again.

Seems like fans and observers want everything to be personal when the players know and understand that it is rarely personal and forgive heat of the moment stuff quickly. We just don't get to see that part on video.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 44
Niced 286 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I have a hard time believing any touring players truly dislike each other
I’d find it extremely unlikely that at least a handful don’t truly dislike each other. They’re a diverse lot, with varying personalities/habits/beliefs/values, they’re in direct competition with each other, and they’re together constantly. Overall the camaraderie is really cool to witness whenever I get a chance to travel to an event, but some friction is to be expected.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSyl View Post
Thinking, a lot of people typically question Catrina's attitude and relationships with the other FPO players. Perhaps it's PP with the issue?
My poor long term memory has me thinking PP was always gracious to competitors, especially when dominating them. Plus, there was that 2015 Worlds where she miraculously came back to beat Hokom after the Hokom car accident, and became tearful and appeared conflicted while making her winning putt. She seemed to feel bad winning when that was largely due to another's misfortune.

The bigger thing, though, is Cat's perceived moodiness during play, as well as the perceived gamesmanship or rules manipulation recently (GBO?) The thing about Paige is that, even when playing poorly, she seems to accept it graciously during the round and Carrie's herself well (imho with limited FPO viewing). It's her social media conduct that continues to be suspect.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,149 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I have a hard time believing any touring players truly dislike each other, but I can certainly envision situations where tensions during a round can run high and players might snipe at one another. But after the round, everything cools down and everyone's okay with one another again.

Seems like fans and observers want everything to be personal when the players know and understand that it is rarely personal and forgive heat of the moment stuff quickly. We just don't get to see that part on video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
I’d find it extremely unlikely that at least a handful don’t truly dislike each other. They’re a diverse lot, with varying personalities/habits/beliefs/values, they’re in direct competition with each other, and they’re together constantly. Overall the camaraderie is really cool to witness whenever I get a chance to travel to an event, but some friction is to be expected.
I see both sides of this. On the one hand, these are professional athletes, and they move on after each shot, much less each tournament and each incident that may happen. OTOH, McBeth and Wysocki have gotten into some heated debates over rules, and there are "personalities" like Nikko and McCray and Catrina out there who some people don't like, even if the are no fisticuffs each week (except with bad cameramen ).

Also, I just viewed Paige Pierce's interview with Terry after the final round was completed, and it sounded like the issues were just frustrations with their own play. So, on to next week...

Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,154 Times in 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
Interesting quote from Paige Pierce in her victory interview:

"People are saying Catrina has this hot season but shes only won 4 out of her 9 tournaments. It's not that great."

Paige seems like a real gem.