Old 08-31-2018, 03:53 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Guy stands in field to try and throw plastic to 400.

Hello all at DGCR.

I’m a recent lurker having spent more my time prior to this on Reddit, but looking to further my practice sessions with guidance on here.

I have never thrown from an x-step and have been throwing one step for just over a year now, this is also the time I’ve been purposefully working on driving with better technique.

I’m still a long long way from being happy but my goal was to get 300 consistenly this summer which I broke a few weeks ago.

Here’s a video from last night and a few from last week, I had some advice from SW on Reddit and still trying to work on that, regarding my rear leg.

https://youtu.be/6RWArF4RZUg

https://youtu.be/Ys8uKpHxni0

https://youtu.be/WIToGYyD6Ek

https://youtu.be/3gqDz1twwt0

Things I’m working on;

-better power pocket. Through fixing other things, this has got lazy. Also my elbow extension too.

-better weight shift. It’s better than it use to be but not consistent.

-spinning on my heel instead of bracing hard. Again.. bad habit, but when I correct the disc rips real good!

-nose down release. I’m dipping slightly and Trying to correct my reachback. This could be down to my bad posture too, I can see that I’m not inside my invisible a-frame when I come to brace.

-staying relaxed until the hit. This was my latest breakthrough and what put me over 300 consistently, before I was just strong arming the whole way through the swing. This coupled with holding onto the disc as long a possible helped a lot.

I’m trying to stay balanced and throwing at 60-70% in these videos.

Thanks in advance for your help, love this community!

Putters- 260-290 (with some sneaking over 300 the other week)

Mids- 280-320

Fairways- 280-360 (max)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2018, 12:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,765 Times in 1,187 Posts

I think you are starting your reachback by tilting the upper body back and turning the shoulders, rather than being more upright and using the hip rotation to turn you back.

I think you're also late off the rear foot, and pushing/jamming over the top a bit.

I would recommend one leg throws so that you can't jam up on the front leg the same way, to hopefully feel how to be on the hip a little better since that motion begins already on the hip. As well it will prevent any rear leg push, and you won't be able to tilt the upper body back before the throw.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:31 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 358 Times in 138 Posts

Slowplastic is right. STOP TILTING!!! Your spine should stay perfectly vertical or if anything should tilt toward the target a bit for the whole throw. That is why your power pocket is horrible.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 88 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
Slowplastic is right. STOP TILTING!!! Your spine should stay perfectly vertical or if anything should tilt toward the target a bit for the whole throw. That is why your power pocket is horrible.
I'm glad to see THE Bradley Walker on DGCR! Welcome. I've noticed you on Facebook the past few days. I look forward to you sharing your wisdom with us.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanNoodleArm View Post
I'm glad to see THE Bradley Walker on DGCR! Welcome. I've noticed you on Facebook the past few days. I look forward to you sharing your wisdom with us.
Oh you kids...

Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,892 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
Wow Bradley Walker, glad to see you here! Can't thank you and Blake_T enough!

IMO the issue of power pocket is caused by braced tilt or lack of the braced part of it in the backswing and forward swing. You don't want to lean or tip your balance outside your posture. The spine should actually tilt back and forth or appear that way as your body turns. There will actually be a reorientation of the spine during the transition from backswing to forward, the backswing happens on the rear leg and the forward swing happens on the front leg. This is the part IMO Blake was missing in the incomplete secret technique, clearing the body out of the way. You can tilt the spine as much as you want as long as you are braced inside your posture and in dynamic balance which will clear your body of out the way to create the power pocket with a closed shoulder. You need to plant with your front hip closed as your weight shifts forward, so the sensation is that your weight shifts "from behind you", and keep the upper arm angle wide/elbow forward of closed shoulder. Then your spine will go on a tilted spiral/twirl on the braced front hip/leg and arm/disc goes along for ride. When you do this properly your chin will lead your nose forward. The OP's nose is leading the chin so he's going over top/tipping spine over, instead of rotating ground up from underneath the head.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 09-05-2018 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Birdie Member

wow.

I have some work to do. Mr. Sidewinder22 I believe you would enjoy my OTHER Youtube channel... You should discover Mike Austin and this compound pivot golf swing.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Birdie Member

I have a wall drill myself. I place my forehead on the wall and run my lower arm down the wall in the pull and maintain it as long as I can. This may be one of the best power/accuracy keys in the game. The lower arm is the pointer to the target and the longer you can maintain the "rail" the better the power pocket.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:51 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks for the guidance guys. Much appreciated. Just got back from a few days vacation and heading to the field to sort this tilt issue. Will report back later with my findings.

Are there any parts to my form that I am doing correctly or on the right track with? I know SW dislikes breaking it down into “sections” as it’s one continuous movement. But good to know if I’m doing anything right 😂

Old 09-05-2018, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,765 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
Thanks for the guidance guys. Much appreciated. Just got back from a few days vacation and heading to the field to sort this tilt issue. Will report back later with my findings.

Are there any parts to my form that I am doing correctly or on the right track with? I know SW dislikes breaking it down into “sections” as it’s one continuous movement. But good to know if I’m doing anything right 😂
Yeah you're keeping your hips/torso/upper arm together as a unit to my eyes rather than getting laggy disconnect. And have good leverage through the rear foot. A lot of it I have found is lower body balance/orientation, and then spine orientation on top of the lower body. Above that your torso and everything seems pretty together so as you keep fixing the balance underneath it things should continue to look more and more correct.