Old 07-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 146 Times in 76 Posts
Default Most EXTREME course you've ever played?

So I just played Mont Du Lac in Superior WI yesterday, and HOLY COW - I was just floored at how crazy that place is. Never once have I played a course where you needed to hang on to a rope to ascend a ridgeline between baskets and tees!

Hole 14 and 16 on White Cedar were just dumbfounding, throwing down 45 degree+ angles and across valleys that look like vertical walls (and then having to climb them), it was just unbelievable.

Don't get me wrong it was very fun and awesome, but that was super extreme, and got me wondering what other courses have you guys played that are like this?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 453
Niced 367 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhilss View Post
So I just played Mont Du Lac in Superior WI yesterday, and HOLY COW - I was just floored at how crazy that place is. Never once have I played a course where you needed to hang on to a rope to ascend a ridgeline between baskets and tees!

Hole 14 and 16 on White Cedar were just dumbfounding, throwing down 45 degree+ angles and across valleys that look like vertical walls (and then having to climb them), it was just unbelievable.

Don't get me wrong it was very fun and awesome, but that was super extreme, and got me wondering what other courses have you guys played that are like this?
Courses I have played:

I would say a toss up between Las Vegas Snow and Skiboard Resort and Mt. Baldy Ski Resort. There are several opportunities to die while you are playing either course. Either on the tee or on the way to your lie. I would also add Bryan Head Ski Resort. Whenever a course designer uses a Black Diamond ski run, that is a pretty good indicator the course will have some extreme disc golf!!!

For 9 holes, I would vote for The Boneyard in Globe, Arizona. A disc golf course built on the rock tailing piles left by the oldest copper mine in Globe. Besides the extreme elevation and playing on extremely rugged rock pile, add in the desert heat and all the thorny acacia and cactus and it doesn't get much more extreme.

Runner up East Coast - Nockamixon. Rugged terrain with plenty of elevation changes.

I will be playing Diamond X in a few weeks, so I hope it works its way to the top of my list.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2017, 01:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 1317
Niced 357 Times in 151 Posts

The Ozark Mt Trio is hard to beat.
Diamond X is definitely up there.
Sugaree has plenty of epicness.
The private course I'm working on will be right there near the top when complete.
Blackjack, Ironside Bluffs, Bear Mt, Bailey, Holler in the Hills (RIP), BOP, Iffy Hollers, Base Camp, several others I'm sure I'm forgetting, all worth mentioning.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-23-2017, 01:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 1,916 Times in 925 Posts

Nothing like that, but for extreme topography mine would be the old Gran Canyon course in Brooksville, Florida---with 60' cliffs of crumbly limestone and clay, and my ability to put errant shot in places where I would attempt to scale the cliffs to recover my discs. Covered in brutal sawgrass, which is exactly like it sounds and would slice me up as a retrieved my other errant throws.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 303
Niced 32 Times in 13 Posts

For me, off the top of my head:
Sugaree
Magic Meadows
Holler in the Hills
Old 07-23-2017, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 297 Times in 188 Posts

Mt. Bachelor in Bend OR. It's ****ing exhausting. Everything's lava rock and tricky footing. It's a beast for sure. I threw a disc like 900' tho... that was cool.

And it's hot as balls with not much shade at all in the summer months.

Good times. Note to self: Don't do it hung over after walking the ale trail.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2017, 04:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 148
Niced 42 Times in 17 Posts

Whippin' Post. It's got the woodedness and extreme elevation of Sugaree combine with a more densely-wooded version of John Houck's multistage par 4/5 madness. The lines and scale of the place are just unreal. There were times where I felt like I was playing a course made for giants.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 45
Niced 146 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
Mt. Bachelor in Bend OR. It's ****ing exhausting. Everything's lava rock and tricky footing. It's a beast for sure. I threw a disc like 900' tho... that was cool.

And it's hot as balls with not much shade at all in the summer months.

Good times. Note to self: Don't do it hung over after walking the ale trail.
I believe one of my YouTube favorites is a compilation of a tourney there, that place looks phenomenal!!!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 161
Niced 877 Times in 580 Posts

Mont du lac is dope af.

The most hardcore is due to extreme thin fairways. At hidden lake there are some fairways thin enough to only drive an ATV through.

Also, this past year it was re-worked so its not nearly as hardcore as it was.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 147
Niced 330 Times in 165 Posts

For me I think it would be Crystal Mountain Summit course. You ride the gondola to the summit, and from the tee on hole 1 to the basket on hole 18 it's a 3000' elevation drop. 500' to 900' long holes with big elevation drops and usually quite a lot of swirling wind. It was just crazy, but really fun and we laughed our a**es off at some crazy shots. I would think most big ski resort courses are pretty similar.

Honorable mention would be Bucksnort, if you're not on your toes there you could take a nasty tumble, or worse.