Old 08-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 120 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm not sure if this fits your plans, but the PDGA has a Competition Endowment program for raising money for charity---but it has to be a certified charity, and I think a minimum of 25% of entries go to the charity. No per-player fees, non-membership fees can be waived or donated to the charity. Something like that; check PDGA for details.

Otherwise, the formula is that you can deduct per-player fees and greens fees from the entries, and then 85% of what's left has to go back to the players in prizes and/or players packs, in whatever combination you choose. So if your players pack almost the cost of entry, you can be trophy-only.
The full on Charity event wasn't really what I was going for, but might be the only option.

So the sanctioning and insurance certificate you cannot put in the entry fee since those are not per player?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,021 Times in 965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
The full on Charity event wasn't really what I was going for, but might be the only option.

So the sanctioning and insurance certificate you cannot put in the entry fee since those are not per player?
That's my understanding.

The charity thing is just an option, which may or may not fit. In my neighborhood trophy-only isn't common, but where it's been done and been successful, often it was a charity.

Our tournament is a charity team-play event, with 50% donated and 50% to prizes (and a low $30 entry for a 2-day event). We don't do players packs at all---if anybody asks, we tell them their players pack went to The Children's Heart Foundation, and they seem OK with it. But of course we don't know if they're happy about it, or just tolerant because they like the course, or the team play format.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 120 Times in 41 Posts

That is interesting. I *think* there could be a market in this area for AM Trophy Only events that are cheaper. Get a trophy, don't get more plastic that you probably don't want, and get some round ratings. Then, not get 1st place in a large MA3 or MA2 field and now need to pick out 150 worth of discs that you either already own, or have at least tried in the past, so you end up getting discs for friends, and backups for your current bag.

I know some who just get random discs and then put them in their clubs bins, or use as CTP prizes, etc.

But, to follow the money, "Merch" is where all the money is made at a tournament, and the manufacturers want to keep selling product, and this is a great way to move discs, not to mention payout tournaments is a way to get money into the pro side from the AMs. You want to stir up the pot, lets start the discussion about Amateur payouts and that they should move toward more trophy only events.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 183 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
For the ones I run at $10 I try to do unique trophies but not necessarily particularly nice ones. For the Betty Queen Open I did cheapo Beauty Queen pageant trophies, for the Golden Horseshoe Open I bought horseshoes and spraypainted them metallic gold. Both were well received. In general I think people just want to see that a little thought went into trophies and they don't worry too much about the expense.
Ever thought about spray lacquering a cow pie and awarding it to the team that finishes last in the VTI?
Old 08-22-2018, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 844 Times in 404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstine View Post
Ever thought about spray lacquering a cow pie and awarding it to the team that finishes last in the VTI?
No but I have considered a frozen cow pie distance contest at a winter event.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,201 Times in 1,233 Posts

They had 70 show up for a masters and above only event in Dayton, OH yesterday. Including a Yeti sighting...

Niced: (1)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.6
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 293 Times in 125 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
They had 70 show up for a masters and above only event in Dayton, OH yesterday. Including a Yeti sighting...
1st place trophies for all divisions was a walking cane. Nice trophy without going overboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No kids allowed trophies.JPG (51.0 KB, 47 views)

Old 09-01-2018, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,021 Times in 965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Our tournament is a charity team-play event, with 50% donated and 50% to prizes (and a low $30 entry for a 2-day event). We don't do players packs at all---if anybody asks, we tell them their players pack went to The Children's Heart Foundation, and they seem OK with it. But of course we don't know if they're happy about it, or just tolerant because they like the course, or the team play format.
Well, we just filled, with a waiting list, in 79 minutes. So, with the right circumstances, it's at least possible to get people to play without giving them bunch of stuff.