Old 11-24-2022, 06:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 393 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosley View Post
Please tell us more! I’m prone to missing left (as a lefty)
It’s how 5x (last I heard) world putting champ Jay “Yeti” Reading grips his putter. He demonstrated it in a video when Innova first released the Yeti Aviar, but I can’t seem to find that video. Basically, instead of using anything akin to a fan grip that flings the putter with a sideways hand movement, pinch the putter between thumb and forefinger in the front so that the plastic kind of bulges and propel with a straight forward movement that finishes by pushing it forward with the thumb. The yeti aviar was made from a mold of Jay’s disc , and it has a slightly concave ring formed in the flight plate from where he applies thumb pressure, akin to a thumb track. This grip also gives precise control of every angle of orientation of the disc. It’s like flying the disc instead of flinging it.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2022, 06:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 281 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
It’s how 5x (last I heard) world putting champ Jay “Yeti” Reading grips his putter. He demonstrated it in a video when Innova first released the Yeti Aviar, but I can’t seem to find that video. Basically, instead of using anything akin to a fan grip that flings the putter with a sideways hand movement, pinch the putter between thumb and forefinger in the front so that the plastic kind of bulges and propel with a straight forward movement that finishes by pushing it forward with the thumb. The yeti aviar was made from a mold of Jay’s disc , and it has a slightly concave ring formed in the flight plate from where he applies thumb pressure, akin to a thumb track. This grip also gives precise control of every angle of orientation of the disc. It’s like flying the disc instead of flinging it.
...but no furry gloves?
Old 11-24-2022, 06:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterboy View Post
...but no furry gloves?
It it pothible.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C25482B-A6A2-4DF5-8134-792E2B2A37A9.jpg (94.2 KB, 106 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 11-25-2022, 08:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 53
Niced 2,464 Times in 1,194 Posts

Tournament today. Apparently still in a slump. I have one day to get my putt dialed back in before my next sanctioned round. Oddly enough, most of today’s misses hit the cage. I think my recent streak of hitting the band has me over correcting.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Tournament today. Apparently still in a slump. I have one day to get my putt dialed back in before my next sanctioned round. Oddly enough, most of today’s misses hit the cage. I think my recent streak of hitting the band has me over correcting.
The biggest thing to avoid is practicing at a range at which you miss as it ruins confidence. And maybe it’s just me, but I find practicing day of does not help at all. Have to get that practice in the day before or earlier. Also, over practicing is a well known problem, so you can’t just put in a bunch of practice the day before. Just have to put it in over time and in advance.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:25 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 65
Niced 218 Times in 144 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzsuyiY0lM

The video quality is horrible.
I don't really like how I explained everything.
But all the info to do the drill is there, mostly.

Plus the advanced version of it.

I'll re-do this video at some point, but this is the version I have of it and the best way I have come up with to teach putting that actually works vs standing outside and putting 500 times a day and blowing your arm out to miss every putt on the course.

This is seriously like a 15 mins a day sorta exercise and you'll watch your putting get better on the course.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 647 Times in 350 Posts

I've been watching Buhr and Robinson: they are upright, well-balanced, and throw the disc with a natural movement.

I've thrown a lot of things in my life, and that form makes a lot of sense to me.

There are many folks with complicated rituals, that while it may work for them, seem needlessly complex to me.

Throw the disc at the damn basket with balance and comfort.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 53
Niced 2,464 Times in 1,194 Posts

Update. My putting seems to be coming back around. I do think putting on my trip with a mold that I don’t normally putt with and then getting back on my usual putters when I got back just had me off my game briefly. Made a good percentage of my putts during a tournament on Sunday. Had some misses from outside the circle but that’s pretty typical. At least everything inside of about twenty feet felt good.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 1,824 Times in 822 Posts

I had a slump lately. I generally feel like putting is a strength, which honestly says more about other people's putting than mine.

I did my first ever putting league a few weeks ago. I had never putted in the dark and all the stations were long, C2 putts that were outside my comfortable range. And the darkness messed with my depth perception. I made 4 of 36 putts (which was actually 2nd in B pool and my random draw team won the night).

And then my putting was awful for the next several rounds I played. When I miss, I tend to lean too far forward and hit cage a lot. I identified that and focused on standing up straighter and getting more power from my back foot. And I probably had 6 band misses over 2 rounds. I didn't miss anything in the last round I played Saturday, so maybe it fixed itself?

Old 11-29-2022, 12:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 289
Niced 9,438 Times in 3,252 Posts

Quote:
So, not that I’m the best putter in the first place but lately I’ve kind of been in a slump.

I made a trip a few weeks ago and opted to not take my normal putter and instead just used an Envy and Harp and didn’t putt as well as I would normally do. When I returned from my trip I figured going back to the Judges that I normally use would fix that but apparently it is me more than the discs.

Besides the obvious fix of just hitting the practice basket, is there anything else I should be doing to get back on track?
Quote:
Update. My putting seems to be coming back around. I do think putting on my trip with a mold that I don’t normally putt with and then getting back on my usual putters when I got back just had me off my game briefly. Made a good percentage of my putts during a tournament on Sunday. Had some misses from outside the circle but that’s pretty typical. At least everything inside of about twenty feet felt good.
Sooooo....it sounds like the answer to the original question is........no.