Old 09-12-2017, 01:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 250 Times in 173 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that my 172g, flat, light blue Eternal Alpha is flying like a longer fresh Pinnacle Patriot with more chunkyness in the hand. It's definitely bordering on the understable side of things. It's surprising actualy. Not that its a bad thing. Its pretty freeking awesome actually! It's a tunnel shooter and loves low power lines. I'm giving it flight numbers for now of 8/4/-0.75/1 it could also be described as C-FD like in flight but also different in the way it does it. Bigger, longer Patriot was what jumped out at me tonight.

The 165g, FLAT, light blue Sublime has a much beefier flight to it. Teebird/Thundy/Eagle hybrid is a good description. It's got just a touch of turn on it and the finish is all there. The turn really shows up and becomes more pronounced if I get over on it a little. Going with 8/4/-0.25/2 for this one.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by august dupree; 09-12-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 120 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that my 172g, flat, light blue Eternal Alpha is flying like a longer fresh Pinnacle Patriot with more chunkyness in the hand. It's definitely bordering on the understable side of things. It's surprising actualy. Not that its a bad thing. Its pretty freeking awesome actually! It's a tunnel shooter and loves low power lines. I'm giving it flight numbers for now of 8/4/-0.75/1 it could also be described as C-FD like in flight but also different in the way it does it. Bigger, longer Patriot was what jumped out at me tonight.

The 165g, FLAT, light blue Sublime has a much beefier flight to it. Teebird/Thundy/Eagle hybrid is a good description. It's got just a touch of turn on it and the finish is all there. The turn really shows up and becomes more pronounced if I get over on it a little. Going with 8/4/-0.25/2 for this one.
Interesting find with the 172g light blue. I've seen a few with this run that are considerably straighter like that. I think it is just the nature of drivers but its still good to know. I'll throw a couple in that range/color and see if mine line up to that.

I really enjoy the ones in 165-167g. It is so rare to have a disc that right of the shelf you can turn/flip and count on it to fade back every time. Definitely a result of the weight and flat dome. Pretty unique flight. I've seen a lot of local forehand players really enjoying how easy it to throw these and still count on it fading at such a light weight. It feels like it will be really great in woods courses where you need more control to start and then the fade at the end.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

I ordered a first run orange Eternal that I'm hoping should provide an overstable bookend on my lineup of light blue Eternal and light blue Sublime.

Agreed with the assessment of FH throwability. It's been a real struggle to find a disc in this speed category that holds up reliably for power fairway FH throws. Sure, you can beat a Felon into this slot but it's nice to have something you can count on off the shelf. I've never thrown a second run FD or an FD3, but the Alpha seems built for this. I'm not sure, but I think the taller profile adds to the torque resistance, making it an excellent line shaping power fairway for those flicks where control and placement are at a premium.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 86 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
I ordered a first run orange Eternal that I'm hoping should provide an overstable bookend on my lineup of light blue Eternal and light blue Sublime.

Agreed with the assessment of FH throwability. It's been a real struggle to find a disc in this speed category that holds up reliably for power fairway FH throws. Sure, you can beat a Felon into this slot but it's nice to have something you can count on off the shelf. I've never thrown a second run FD or an FD3, but the Alpha seems built for this. I'm not sure, but I think the taller profile adds to the torque resistance, making it an excellent line shaping power fairway for those flicks where control and placement are at a premium.
I currently use a seasoned Champ TeeBird for this slot but even given a bit of hyzer I still find that it flips and my PDs just don't give me the same amount of control. I may have to order one now.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 83 Times in 51 Posts

^you will not be disappointed
Old 09-12-2017, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

aranges are definitely more stable than the blue eternal. i carry 2 blues and one orange currently . i know there are other colors in this new run that are a little more os but i have yet to throw them,just taking zj's word for it.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I currently use a seasoned Champ TeeBird for this slot but even given a bit of hyzer I still find that it flips and my PDs just don't give me the same amount of control. I may have to order one now.
I hear ya about the Teebird (Rivals too). When you do it right and get a good release, they are amazing. Just a little too touchy sometimes and there is a fine line in terms of it's power threshold. My form is far from perfect, and that plays into it as well. I like a disc that can be forgiving. Kind of like the difference between hitting a cavity back iron vs. a forged blade in ball golf. Give me the cavity back iron every time, I'm not a scratch golfer. Thunderbirds are the same way for me in terms of touchiness on FH throws except for the beefy swirly star CFRs which are a a fair amount more stable but aren't really replaceable. Culverins get flippy real quick and don't hold up to the torque. PDs feel terrible in a FH grip for me. The Westside Fortress has been promising, but like most other Trilogy discs, I don't have high hopes for it's lifespan. So far (albeit still with limited testing and a small sample size) the Alpha seems to soak up FH power (torque) and I think it's the tall profile that helps get this done. Looking forward to seeing how the durability in terms of flight integrity pans out with the Sublime and Eternal Plastics. The other problem with the speed 10 power drivers is that they are closer to distance drivers in speed and leave a larger gap down to an OS mid like a Gator/Buzz OS/Verdict, etc. The Alpha is a bit slower (but not necessarily shorter) than a PD/Thunderbird and feels like it might fit more into a happy medium between a mid and a full fledged speed 12-13 distance driver. I used to flick Escapes a lot in this slot but damn if it isn't hard to find the good stable ones and I never really felt like even the max weight Fluids quite had the stability I was looking for. Enter the Alpha which I am affectionately dubbing as my Escape Pro. The new flatish second runs just feel so perfect and full in a FH grip. It's very confidence inspiring in the hand.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Check FB for a special alpha to benefit the Gulf Coast recovery effort on the Mint Collector's page! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...74840953014938
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-09-12-13-29-40.jpg (111.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Par Member

Niced 25 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
Don't usually post marketing stuff here...but for those wanting to try out an Alpha today is a good time to start. We put First Run Eternal plastic down to $12.99. Let me know how you like it

https://mintdiscs.com/collections/sh...nt=37288657603
How much do you charge to ship one disc?

Old 09-13-2017, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 28
Niced 120 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscAnarchy View Post
How much do you charge to ship one disc?
$3 flat for 1-2 discs I believe