Old 07-13-2019, 01:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 53 Posts

Seems old patheticus has gotten enough mileage from this nonsense with his nonsensical ramblings. I'm done with this one. What happened to the good threads that I used to read all the time on this site?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2019, 01:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Niced 99 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Bill lee, think it’s called Spaceman. Talks about his career, how it ended and his adventures after. Trip to Cuba was a hoot.
Have owned his book for many years. It's called The Wrong Stuff. His career could have lasted longer but he was a non-conformist in a era when it was definitely not tolerated to go against convention.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 669 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
... a joke not only has a narrow scope (human) ...
Has your fox friend ever taken a dump on one of your discs? I have seen evidence of this happening.

If that's not a joke, I don't know what is.

I suppose it could be a joke that's over your head, happens to me sometimes.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,657 Times in 732 Posts

I think Armus was home schooled, and this is his way of playing with other children.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Par Member

Niced 84 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I think Armus was home schooled, and this is his way of playing with other children.
There's something of truth in that. The only disadvantage of not going to school is that certain social skills are underdeveloped. Add to that a lifelong pattern of relative solitude and I don't really know how to converse with grace or care about fitting into a social structure.

There are two purposes to these posts: to introduce a possibly new way of seeing things to an audience that seems exceptionally stagnant, and to see what angles I might have missed. That so many of the responders are unwilling to offer anything useful and waste time poking at the unprovokable is disappointing but at last inevitable.

Competition in sport is viewed, almost universally, as a positive. As the essential root of sport.

Can anyone recognize any negatives? If so, is reconciliation with the positives of sport possible? The question as always: what is the net value? If it is negative, do we have the guts to decline that transaction?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 145 Times in 88 Posts

IMO (just one man's..) competition can bring out the incivility in people faster than just about anything else. There's a place and time for everything but people's insecurity "forces" them to TRY to 'prove themselves better' (than others) in the most trivial things - like sports - with the delusion that it carries over to all aspects (and more important aspects) of their lives. The fact of the matter is that one can be great...even for just a moment...at something and still be a turd at that which REALLY counts.
But having said that, my gut feeling is that the "net" benefit / detriment of competition is a 'moderate net benefit'. We are - like it or not - an evolving species, and "competition" (of some sorts and extents) are IMO innate, essential, and probably unavoidable for us to continue as a species. What KIND of competition (and how intense, etc.) can be debated...and regulated, if we deem it to be needed.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 913
Niced 99 Times in 51 Posts

IMHO you're talking about service to self; vs. service to others; and how service to self has been the primary driver of this particular round. That's not really a discussion you're going to have much success with here (or, very many places really); which really kind of/part of the service to self ethos in the first place. I.e. service to self implies competition in everything.

(One of the questions there could very well be; "was this intended" as perhaps the single biggest experiment of this round itself. ...in the picture of the bigger round; which seems to have a major component of individualism involved.) I.e. I AM!

If anyone has taken the rough road of service to others; then, a competitive round of disc golf is rather reasonable way to engage in some competition (primarily) with oneself. Side benefits of exercise, engagement with others, seeing new country; etc., can be a major piece of it as well.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:46 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 61
Niced 165 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
I don't read philosophy, and I'm not trying to get too abstract.
Quote:
Most of the time there's limited space to work with. So I reckon the right number of holes is the number of good, non-redundant ones that the land can comfortably and rightly allow. The What would Emerson sayre's no sense in ruining a good 15 hole course to make a lousy 18 hole course, or in making a boring 18 instead of a fun 25. Magic numbers are irritating. What would Emerson say?

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Waldo Emerson

But then again...

To be great is to be misunderstood. - Waldo Emerson

Old 07-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 61
Niced 165 Times in 48 Posts

Information about Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

https://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/...c.Pers.DSM.pdf

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/c...ality-disorder

Also, some information on empathy:

https://dictionary.apa.org/empathy

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/art...thy_revolution

Go ahead, call me dumb, stupid, unintelligent; I don't really care. I can assure you, I have been called worse by much better people.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 103 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
There's something of truth in that. The only disadvantage of not going to school is that certain social skills are underdeveloped. Add to that a lifelong pattern of relative solitude and I don't really know how to converse with grace or care about fitting into a social structure.

There are two purposes to these posts: to introduce a possibly new way of seeing things to an audience that seems exceptionally stagnant, and to see what angles I might have missed. That so many of the responders are unwilling to offer anything useful and waste time poking at the unprovokable is disappointing but at last inevitable.

Competition in sport is viewed, almost universally, as a positive. As the essential root of sport.

Can anyone recognize any negatives? If so, is reconciliation with the positives of sport possible? The question as always: what is the net value? If it is negative, do we have the guts to decline that transaction?
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you are confusing the root with the byproduct.

You seem to be suggesting that first the impulse comes to compete. Something like, "hey, I want to beat that other guy. Now how to create a situation where I can take him down?"

However, I believe the motivating impulses of sport are fun, exploration, and mastery. Competition simply emerges as a natural result when you have others engaging in the same activity.

And competition is completely neutral. It can reveal positives or negatives in the participants, but so too can every interaction. This is not something unique to competition.

I was super competitive early in life and then developed an aversion to it. I did not like what it revealed in me and then naturally went the other way, becoming anti-competitive. Eventually I learned that it was not competition that created my negative state, it was already there. Now that I have a healthier psyche, competition is a blank slate, something to be enjoyed as any other activity, because life is short and why not?

The problem comes in because people are too attached to particular outcomes. This is the root problem, not competition, imo.

Niced: (2)