#1831  
Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 PM
7ontheline's Avatar
7ontheline 7ontheline is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 57
Posts: 1,148
Niced 97 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockness Monster View Post
ugh, back to the practice field I guess. Thanks for the info and advice everyone
Practice. boom the correct answer

If you were hoping the Wraith would add max distance and you're only getting 10 feet passed your Teebird, discing down to a slower speed is the right call. Faster discs are harder to control and often mask form flaws.

If you're still looking for max D you could try the OLF and build up to an Orc and soon you'll be throwing that Wraith... after a lot of practice
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1832  
Old 10-09-2018, 01:53 AM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,662
Niced 490 Times in 384 Posts
Default

I don't think one should ever really use the Thunderbird as a max distance driver. Especially if you're only throwing 330'. At that distance I don't think a Thunderbird will show you anything a Teebird won't. I think a Thunderbird at 330' would be almost frustratingly overstable and clunky.

The Thunderbird is all about precision for me. I can get it out to 400' reliably, but I don't throw it for the distance. I throw it because I know I can bear down hard on it and the disc will end up where I want it. It plows through wind effectively and is immune to being overpowered.

If you want to pick up some easy yardage (past 330') it might be time to look at something understable. You might give the star Mystere a try. Its understable and glidey without being overly fast or wide rimmed. Very beginner friendly and a disc that is easily capable of top-shelf distance. A Mystere is the same speed as a Wraith, but noticeably more understable and with far better glide. It could very easily turn your 330' Wraith distance into 360'.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #1833  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:56 PM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dayton, OH
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 915
Niced 629 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I don't think one should ever really use the Thunderbird as a max distance driver. Especially if you're only throwing 330'. At that distance I don't think a Thunderbird will show you anything a Teebird won't. I think a Thunderbird at 330' would be almost frustratingly overstable and clunky.

The Thunderbird is all about precision for me. I can get it out to 400' reliably, but I don't throw it for the distance. I throw it because I know I can bear down hard on it and the disc will end up where I want it. It plows through wind effectively and is immune to being overpowered.

If you want to pick up some easy yardage (past 330') it might be time to look at something understable. You might give the star Mystere a try. Its understable and glidey without being overly fast or wide rimmed. Very beginner friendly and a disc that is easily capable of top-shelf distance. A Mystere is the same speed as a Wraith, but noticeably more understable and with far better glide. It could very easily turn your 330' Wraith distance into 360'.
CD2 is a friendly thundy as well. Same speed but way more glide, less OS, and very easy to learn. It won’t mask many form flaws either.
Reply With Quote
  #1834  
Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM
kjr63 kjr63 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 45
Niced 28 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I don't think one should ever really use the Thunderbird as a max distance driver. Especially if you're only throwing 330'. At that distance I don't think a Thunderbird will show you anything a Teebird won't. I think a Thunderbird at 330' would be almost frustratingly overstable and clunky.
I mostly agree, except when it's a beaten DX Thunderbird that flies like a Valkyrie. Then it is a fine max. distance driver.
Reply With Quote
  #1835  
Old 01-20-2019, 09:26 PM
armiller's Avatar
armiller armiller is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: West Virginia
Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,816
Niced 537 Times in 369 Posts
Default

I-Dye Champion Thunderbird Factory Second

339 currently available. Interesting that Paul's name seems almost entirely obstructed by the double stamp. That must be entirely coincidental! **sarcasm alert!** How much was Paul making per disc on these? Whatever monetary value it was, I bet it just turned into zero.

I've always been a fan of dyed discs, and I like heavy champ Thunderbirds. If it was less than $12, I'd be tempted to go for a sight-unseen disc or two.

(same on Roc3s, btw:
I-Dye Champion Roc3 Factory Second)

Last edited by armiller; 01-20-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1836  
Old 01-21-2019, 01:57 AM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,662
Niced 490 Times in 384 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I-Dye Champion Thunderbird Factory Second

339 currently available. Interesting that Paul's name seems almost entirely obstructed by the double stamp. That must be entirely coincidental! **sarcasm alert!** How much was Paul making per disc on these? Whatever monetary value it was, I bet it just turned into zero.

I've always been a fan of dyed discs, and I like heavy champ Thunderbirds. If it was less than $12, I'd be tempted to go for a sight-unseen disc or two.

(same on Roc3s, btw:
I-Dye Champion Roc3 Factory Second)
I think your theory is correct. They aren't going to "accidentally" mess up that many dyed discs with double stamps. They're essentially writing Paul out of existence.
Reply With Quote
  #1837  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 AM
wims wims is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oslo, Norway
Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,044
Niced 235 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Nothing wrong with that IMO. In fact, using Pauls name to promote their products might even be illegal, depending on their previous contract

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #1838  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM
dysmike's Avatar
dysmike dysmike is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aridzona
Courses Played: 17
Posts: 910
Niced 250 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I think your theory is correct. They aren't going to "accidentally" mess up that many dyed discs with double stamps. They're essentially writing Paul out of existence.
It's not like it's personal. It's business.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderbird VS PD DavidHedvin Discs 30 03-30-2017 07:20 PM
Protostamp Thunderbird pksam The Marketplace 5 05-18-2016 08:14 PM
PD v Thunderbird? ODRB Discs 66 01-14-2016 03:47 PM
Mcbeth 3x Thunderbird jdye16 Discs 19 11-24-2014 08:20 PM
Thunderbird, how's it treating you? Squirrilah Fish Discs 10 10-03-2014 04:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.