Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 57
Niced 97 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockness Monster View Post
ugh, back to the practice field I guess. Thanks for the info and advice everyone
Practice. boom the correct answer

If you were hoping the Wraith would add max distance and you're only getting 10 feet passed your Teebird, discing down to a slower speed is the right call. Faster discs are harder to control and often mask form flaws.

If you're still looking for max D you could try the OLF and build up to an Orc and soon you'll be throwing that Wraith... after a lot of practice
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 01:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 490 Times in 384 Posts

I don't think one should ever really use the Thunderbird as a max distance driver. Especially if you're only throwing 330'. At that distance I don't think a Thunderbird will show you anything a Teebird won't. I think a Thunderbird at 330' would be almost frustratingly overstable and clunky.

The Thunderbird is all about precision for me. I can get it out to 400' reliably, but I don't throw it for the distance. I throw it because I know I can bear down hard on it and the disc will end up where I want it. It plows through wind effectively and is immune to being overpowered.

If you want to pick up some easy yardage (past 330') it might be time to look at something understable. You might give the star Mystere a try. Its understable and glidey without being overly fast or wide rimmed. Very beginner friendly and a disc that is easily capable of top-shelf distance. A Mystere is the same speed as a Wraith, but noticeably more understable and with far better glide. It could very easily turn your 330' Wraith distance into 360'.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 629 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I don't think one should ever really use the Thunderbird as a max distance driver. Especially if you're only throwing 330'. At that distance I don't think a Thunderbird will show you anything a Teebird won't. I think a Thunderbird at 330' would be almost frustratingly overstable and clunky.

The Thunderbird is all about precision for me. I can get it out to 400' reliably, but I don't throw it for the distance. I throw it because I know I can bear down hard on it and the disc will end up where I want it. It plows through wind effectively and is immune to being overpowered.

If you want to pick up some easy yardage (past 330') it might be time to look at something understable. You might give the star Mystere a try. Its understable and glidey without being overly fast or wide rimmed. Very beginner friendly and a disc that is easily capable of top-shelf distance. A Mystere is the same speed as a Wraith, but noticeably more understable and with far better glide. It could very easily turn your 330' Wraith distance into 360'.
CD2 is a friendly thundy as well. Same speed but way more glide, less OS, and very easy to learn. It won’t mask many form flaws either.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM

Niced 28 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
I mostly agree, except when it's a beaten DX Thunderbird that flies like a Valkyrie. Then it is a fine max. distance driver.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 166
Niced 537 Times in 369 Posts

I-Dye Champion Thunderbird Factory Second

339 currently available. Interesting that Paul's name seems almost entirely obstructed by the double stamp. That must be entirely coincidental! **sarcasm alert!** How much was Paul making per disc on these? Whatever monetary value it was, I bet it just turned into zero.

I've always been a fan of dyed discs, and I like heavy champ Thunderbirds. If it was less than $12, I'd be tempted to go for a sight-unseen disc or two.

(same on Roc3s, btw:
I-Dye Champion Roc3 Factory Second)

Last edited by armiller; 01-20-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 490 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I-Dye Champion Thunderbird Factory Second

339 currently available. Interesting that Paul's name seems almost entirely obstructed by the double stamp. That must be entirely coincidental! **sarcasm alert!** How much was Paul making per disc on these? Whatever monetary value it was, I bet it just turned into zero.

I've always been a fan of dyed discs, and I like heavy champ Thunderbirds. If it was less than $12, I'd be tempted to go for a sight-unseen disc or two.

(same on Roc3s, btw:
I-Dye Champion Roc3 Factory Second)
I think your theory is correct. They aren't going to "accidentally" mess up that many dyed discs with double stamps. They're essentially writing Paul out of existence.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 235 Times in 143 Posts

Nothing wrong with that IMO. In fact, using Pauls name to promote their products might even be illegal, depending on their previous contract

Niced: (2)

Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 250 Times in 150 Posts

Quote:
I think your theory is correct. They aren't going to "accidentally" mess up that many dyed discs with double stamps. They're essentially writing Paul out of existence.
It's not like it's personal. It's business.

Niced: (1)