Old 06-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 121 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatRedDude View Post
The courses are set up differently for majors, i.e. faster greens, longer rough, with the exception being Augusta which rarely changes.

The US Open generally is the hardest course they play all year and scores reflect that.

so i would have a disagree with your statement a little, format wise you are 100% correct, course wise that is different thing all together.
The PGA championship begs to differ, though it's run by the PGA and has its own unique dimension (inclusion of course pros/non-touring pros).
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 121 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
that better be one spectacular piece of land.
I was trying to come up with the right response, and this is it.

Complicating fan access is goofy, but will get the "military pass."
Old 06-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 102 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
From a format perspective, it really isn't any different than other tournaments anymore. It's more the name and the history (and the official Major status) that give it the added prestige. Some are upset because Worlds used to (as in, before this year) feature more rounds overall and this is a break from tradition. But part of that old format had to do with involving multiple divisions and therefore more players, so shorter and less challenging courses were included for the purposes of expediency (and also because they were what was available).

Now, with Worlds only including MPO/FPO, the tournament can be run on courses that are tailored specifically to challenge the very best in the game. And with that added challenge in the design of the course, fewer holes are needed to separate the wheat from the chaff. A marathon is no longer needed to allow for the cream to rise to the top.

It should be noted that there's nothing of significance, format-wise, differentiating ball golf majors from typical PGA Tour events like the Memorial two weeks ago, this past weekend's St Jude's Classic or the Travelers Championship in two weeks. But this week is the US Open and it's special, due in large part to the history of the event.
Understood, and I appreciate the info and detailed response.

You're right, having major tournaments that are like the others but with elevated prestige is also part of ball golf. And tennis, although I think tennis majors are all best-of-five sets instead of best-of-three.

What I can't think of is another sport that awards a world championship title based on one of those events. That's what seems so unusual to me about disc golf. It's not a playoff and it's not based on cumulative standings after a long season, it's just, "Win this one and you're the champ."

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I think it's cool and maybe it's more practical for a sport this size, I don't know.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:05 PM

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 138
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Back to the original question --- Skill will obviously be a factor, but players who are in shape and take care of themselves will outlast the rest. Ft Gordon is long and deceptively hilly and the Georgia sun will beat you down on the open holes. And don't forget the humidity which finally showed up this week.

Getting onto base is not a big deal. Just be sure you have your ID and are not a wanted criminal or on any watch lists. Plan ahead and get your pass a few days before you plan to go watch (or play) and you'll save a lot of time later.

PS. For history buffs, there is a piece of the Berlin wall across the street from the course.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,140 Times in 241 Posts

Wanted to pop in and give you all the viewing guide:

Day 1 Jomez and CCDG will be filming Paul's card, and Ricky's card (I think we get Paul, but I'm not 100%).
Day 2 CCDG on MPO lead, Jomez on chase
Day 3 CCDG on MPO lead, Jomez on chase
Day 4 CCDG on Chase, Jomez on lead

Prodigy Disc will be covering FPO the whole time

I don't think there will be live as the signal is bad, but Terry will be there too I'm pretty sure.

Big thanks to the PDGA for getting us out there! It was not a cheap trip. I think I've already spend 3k on travel and lodging...

Old 06-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,014 Times in 244 Posts
Default SmashBoxx plans for Worlds

Correct, there is some very bad cell signal spots on about half the Ft. Gordon and most of the IDGC course. So it doesn't make sense for us to try and put on a very spotty live broadcast.

Instead we are hoping to put on an wrap up show each night. We are hoping to have highlights & interviews. Is there anything else you would like to see in a wrap up show?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 33
Niced 839 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
"Spectators as well as competitors that did not register on or before Friday, May 19th will be required to go through the standard entry procedure prior to gaining access to the facility which includes a federal background check. Upon completion of the process, a 30-day pass will be issued."

So competitors get a free pass on the background check if they registered in time?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 72
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone seen any flymart info?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 200 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
Only 8 days away from worlds! Do you think it will be the Paul/Ricky battle again this year or does anyone have other predictions or a dark horse taking it? what type of player wlll these courses favor?
Dark Horse: Michael Johansen. So smooth, sneaky distance, won the last HOFC, semi-local

Old 06-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Par Member

Niced 106 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
So competitors get a free pass on the background check if they registered in time?
"Background Check" for access to bases basically entails a simple check against national watchlisting databases and LE information. If you aren't on a terrorist/CE watch list from an agency, have never been arrested for any act against the federal govt and LE shows no outstanding warrants you are clear.