Old 12-08-2021, 03:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 40
Niced 1,019 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllEstar View Post

The one B-tier I've played was 3.5 rounds in 2 days, shotgun start with people smoking and flipping discs for their lie.
Welcome to British Disc Golf....

We're trying to change it for the better but there is a lot of culture changing required first. The beginner friendly half day two 13 hole round C tiers I run are more stringent to the rules than some of our so called "big" events. It does my head in.

Come along to the Welsh Open EPT - X event next year, three rounds over three days and smoking/flipping other stupid things won't be tolerated. it will be C Tier but only because having enforced structures for higher tier make things slightly more inflexible than I like. I prefer to achieve the higher tier standards but with more personal control that the C tier bracket allows (Not all A tier standards are things that work for our main player base at this stage) .
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-29-2022, 12:47 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 397
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9,258 Times in 3,641 Posts

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread
(or elsewhere) already, but I just found out that effective for 2022, the PGDA changed the rule for defining the Line of Play, as it pertains to mandos.

https://www.pdga.com/news/disc-golf-...rking-your-lie

Previously, the LOP was defined by the disc and the mando, not by the disc and the basket.

Now, it's defined by the disc and the basket, regardless where the mando is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg line_of_play_old_and_new_flight_path.jpg (76.5 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-29-2022 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 77
Niced 720 Times in 335 Posts

Right. Conceptually consider the mandatory restricted space as a virtual wall. The LOP is now the same if it is a physical tall wall or a virtual mandatory wall.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,044 Times in 459 Posts

Also note that was in the summary of rules changes article posted on Dec 1 https://www.pdga.com/news/pdga-offic...l-updated-2022

804 REGULATED ROUTES
The entire sections 804.01 and 804.02 have been replaced with a new 804.01. Functionally, this is simpler than the prior rule, which required players not only to monitor the disc in flight to see where it passed relative to the mandatory object, but also to be concerned with where the disc came to rest. Here, the latter is eliminated from the analysis. Instead, the instant the disc passes into the restricted space, the outcome is clear: the player has missed the mandatory. In addition, this revision recognizes that tournament directors define the edges of the restricted space with different types of mandatory objects, such as poles or trees. Tournament directors need to be clear on what defines the edges of the restricted space in their course rules. Additionally, this update simplifies the line of play on holes with a mandatory route and object: the line of play is now always a line to the target.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:27 AM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 71 Posts

An interesting consequence to the new Line of Play rule in relation to a Mando is that the current 20cm x 30 cm lie could be entirely outside the lie under last year's rule. This won't look intuitive & I suspect it will take considerable time for comprehension & compliance. Rule School may benefit from adding another graphic zooming in on the disc & showing there could be no overlap old vs new.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,044 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee View Post
This won't look intuitive & I suspect it will take considerable time for comprehension & compliance.
It's been this way for doglegs or U-turn holes (wooded or water-carries) for 25 years and people still screw it up all the time.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:25 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 48
Courses Played: 479
Niced 3,592 Times in 1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
It's been this way for doglegs or U-turn holes (wooded or water-carries) for 25 years and people still screw it up all the time.
I had a fun exchange with one player who kept insisting "I know exactly where I put my foot!".

What this past World Champ had never learned was that the lie is based on the direction to the basket, which - on this hole - was not parallel to the fairway.

Let's hope that removing the exception for a mando makes the rule easier to learn.

Who knows, maybe geometry will go viral and everyone will understand that the away player isn't always the one whose throw was shortest.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 55
Niced 177 Times in 89 Posts

If direction of throw is no longer line of play then the 30 by 20 should be 30 by 30.
On a long dogleg around the corner of a forrest I used to run up and place a foot right behind my marker disc in the intended direction of the throw. I had 30 cm to play with.
Now that is a violation. Instead I have to aim for the edge of my marker and hope my foot touches within a 20 cm area.
What's weird is you no longer have to stay behind the marker as far as direction of throw. Behind now is according to line of play.
MAKE IT FAIR.
MAKE IT SQUARE!!!!!

Old 01-30-2022, 10:44 PM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 71 Posts

Rules School-Episode 3: Marking Your Lie. Recommended edit

Regarding the picture of the Lie: This is on the PDGA site so these helpful & well done videos represent "Authority. The picture of the Lie is closer to a square than the 20cm x 30cm it should be. 20/30 is a .66 width to length ratio. The picture is a .76 ratio. Also the the mini as depicted is tiny compared to the 20cm line. This makes it look like you could stand pretty far to the side of Line of Play. May seem picky but an "official" graphic should accurately represent the rule. Easy fix for IT.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,287 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
There was even a tournament last year where people commented on the Jomez video that Drew Gibson had a foot fault and no one, not even the commentators, called him on it. But the fact was that he wasn't foot faulting. The Line Of Play has always been from the target/basket through the middle of the marker. (I think the only exception was with a mando as the Line of Play HAD to go to the correct side of the mando).

So, while Drew's supporting point appeared to be a stance violation, it really wasn't. This is another case of the wording/definition in the rules.

For most people, Line Of Play is the line you are intending to throw on. If a shot requires you to throw sideways, instead of towards the target/basket, that is the line you are "playing on". But per the rules and definition, that isn't the Line Of Play. I think the rule/definition should say "Line to Target/Basket" instead.

Imagine, if you will, you place your marker on the Line Of Play (towards the target/basket), but you are in a location where you have to throw back towards the tee pad (a pitch out). You are taking your stance with the marker BEHIND you. That would appear to be a stance violation, but by the rules it isn't. Strange.