Old 12-03-2021, 05:14 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 21 Times in 18 Posts

Appreciate the help - good to connect with someone else trying to build their form up

I had a chance to throw just three throws today but I used the figure 8 drill and it felt very different and I felt like I got a lot on the disc. It felt like there was a lot more time to do things with my body while my weight was shifting forward. Like I've was able to get my off arm to come in and through my body a lot easier and it felt like there was an obvious time to do it. I'll be hitting the field for real tomorrow or Sunday. I'm giving you more tries and we'll report back my findings!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Bogey Member

Got some fresh footage!

I was trying to focus on keeping a relaxed arm and using the body to drive the disc. Much different feeling as I mentioned before. I busted out a 15 pound kettlebell to try to feel the swing and practice the figure 8 with. Skip to about a minute to get to the throws.

I had some throws which were WAY better than I normally throw and they felt very different. Consistency is a big issue and when things go bad I'm usually skying the disc with nose up angle way off on a big anhyzer angle.

Some things I notice in the film are that I may be introducing some rounding. I'm really trying to not actively move my arm much at all so trying to control where it is when I start moving forward is a learning experience.

I also notice my feet are getting away from proper alignment so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

I played a round on Sunday after I filmed this on Saturday and shot a personal best, so things keep improving. I did find it difficult to adapt this newer form to non-max power shots as I haven't practiced that. I'm thinking I need to change how hard I drive forward and perhaps the length of my reachback?

In any case all the feedback I've received has paid off big time so far so big thanks! Looking forward to improving further.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:41 PM
Bogey Member

https://youtu.be/BhjenKX-7Ps

YouTube link in case that embed didn't work
Old 12-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 177 Times in 128 Posts

kinda looks like the elbow is still dropping a good bit during the downswing.
low elbow.jpg

this image of mcbeth is a visual i like to look at as a reminder of where my arm could possibly go. this image was taken from a controlled shot and not a full power shot. i will say tho that when i get my elbow up i feel the 'linkage' working better and i can throw farther with less effort

short and controlled shot, keep arm up.jpg

this is also what i think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You are pulling your elbows ahead of your shift and down into your hips and across your body toward right tee so your swing is really short, instead of sending them much further forward and outward away from body toward left tee
(quote taken from my thread)

im still working on this too. my muscle memory just loves having my elbow pulled downward and in towards my chest. lol

this video below gives a good visual of keeping the elbow up and how the arm/elbow moves during backswing/downswing. purpose of video of what i want it to convey is simply keeping elbow up during the downswing.

i know seabass has this video, but the one above is what stuck with me

Niced: (1)
Old 12-09-2021, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,923 Times in 3,994 Posts

Head is still turning too far back away in backswing.

Open to Closed Drill is basically Twirly Bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=6m57s

Hammer out with Shoulders Closed to target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4#t=3m26s

Niced: (2)
Old 12-12-2021, 08:26 PM
Bogey Member

Played a round and threw in the field today, it was veery windy so it made it tough. No video but just wanted to drop some notes:

The open to closed dill was helpful and felt like a good way to evolve the figure 8 drill. I'm still throwing mostly standstill but this felt like a good way to start moving towards a one step. I could feel how much more weight was available using this drill, but I don't think I'm at the point where I'm capturing enough of the momentum for it to matter too much.

I was much better about not rounding but I think I was having what felt like the opposite problem where I sometimes wasn't getting the disc into my chest far enough (angle between forearm and bicep was too large).

I was better about keeping the shoulders closed AND about not turning my head too far back in the backswing which actually felt connected. There were a few throws that really felt like baseball swings with my arm fully extended swinging through the "zone". The swing thoughts I had some luck with were thinking of 3 critical points in the swing plus the follow through. The 3 critical points were: peak of reachback (keeping it wide), in the chest, and release point. Visualizing these as a sort of triangle (wide-narrow-wide) seemed to help some.

Will get back out there soon and hopefully video some improvements.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:27 AM
Bogey Member

https://youtu.be/mnp-pE_uErk

Got some throws in yesterday but no real progress to be honest. Everything went just about the exact same distance (throwing Mako3s, Leopard and one DX Teebird3) about 2 to 250 ft.

I don't think I'm rounding as bad as I was before which is a positive.

I think there are still problems getting into the power pocket and getting my elbow in the right position. In the still frames attached it looks like my arm is starting to uncurl when the disc is at the rear edge of my body instead of closer to the front pec.

I'm also not really feeling the earth during my brace in a meaningful way. I think I need to get the hammer or kettlebell out again to regain that feeling.

Felt like a bit of stagnation or regression to be honest but I guess that is all part of the journey.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,923 Times in 3,994 Posts

Grab a stick and ride the bull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s
Old 12-29-2021, 03:03 PM
Bogey Member

I think I had a bit of a breakthrough the other day and want to check to see if I'm on the right track.

The baseball swing analogy really clicked with me and I realized that I had been trying to accelerate my upper body in a very general way. Just kind of getting my arm swinging as fast as possible. However what I started thinking more about is accelerating in order to maximize power at a specific release point. Much like a baseball swing is trying to time the peak power from the swing with the ball impact.

This lead me to work more on the timing of pressing out or pushing back from the lead leg. In order to get the release point I was aiming for I found I had to start pressing out that leg MUCH earlier than I had been. I was also able to get this feeling doing a much smaller weight transfer. Similar to how one might try to hit a well placed line drive rather than a booming home run. It helped a lot to not swing for the fences every time and instead work on the timing of loading and unloading the front leg at the right times to coincide with the ideal release point.

I had some good power throws but more so noticed an increase in accuracy with this approach. I banged a midrange off the basket from about 200 feet away one one hole.

I'm having continued nose up issues I am trying to correct, I think in the middle of my swing I lose the "coffee pour" wrist I start with.

With the new approach I'm realizing the importance of getting the disc into the front pec. It seems like the smaller the angle between forearm and bicep at the power pocket the more power you can generate (if everything is timed right). I've been revisiting the 'elbow extension' post and trying to get things in the right spot. http://www.heavydisc.com/2014/09/elbow-extension.html

QUESTION ON THE OFF ARM!
One thing I felt was that my lead shoulder was not providing a good base for the rest of my arm, as if my shoulders were curled in towards my chest and not allowing the full arm length to be used. I found doing the swim move with my off arm would allow me to tighten up the shoulders and cause the lead should to come back away from the chest and provide a better base for the throw. Is that part of the purpose of the swim move? I had trouble getting the timing right but it felt like a big boost.

Hope to get some more video up soon to get better feedback but I wanted to keep my thoughts here for my own benefit and to ensure I don't start going down the wrong path!

Old 01-05-2022, 11:21 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 177 Times in 128 Posts

i cant find it but i recall a sentence that was something like 'the point of the backswing is to put the disc so it can reach the right pec/power pocket' or something like that ( i believe it was from heavydisc blog). what ive experienced is when im going really slow i can guide the disc into the right pec, when i speed things up then that location becomes more like my left pec. the similarities possibly being that mayb i need to somewhat guide the disc into my chest? as in when i rotate i need to make a small physical effort with my arm to guide the disc into my chest then when the disc reaches that point thats when the ejection happens due to rotation force? ( i remember reading and the key word being ejection )

Last edited by lostDoughnut; 01-05-2022 at 11:25 PM.