Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,925 Times in 3,995 Posts

Keep your body/shoulders closed to target when you address the swing forward. You open way up and have to swing back around yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

Toss the hammer and/or swing it around like a windmill.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:42 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 21 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks Sidewinder - one thing I'm a little confused on is how one moves from the hammer windmill to the toss. Is the windmill just for getting 'interial burst' sensation? Do you achieve the swing plane difference (from vertical windmill to more horizontal) just from body positioning?

Since it is too cold to toss I've just been analyzing my videos. Came up with these comparisons to Will S (because this video is so amazing). Going to use these to refresh my memory when I get back out in the field. I also need to remember to try to get my camera angles a bit closer to what reference videos use!

Old 01-26-2022, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

The spiral is always on a tilted axis somewhat due to the swing having an unbalanced weight to it and gravity. A true horizontal swing does not exist, at least not efficiently. The more horizontal you swing, the less efficient the swing becomes. To throw something far it needs somewhat of an upward launch, a disc is not much different than launching a football or hammer, other than it has a very sensitive nose and can be thrown downward with the nose up and still fly, just inefficiently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04BGqmuaT8g#t=4m25s

Old 01-26-2022, 05:28 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
To throw something far it needs somewhat of an upward launch, a disc is not much different than launching a football or hammer
Oh man for some reason that just clicked with me. When I was doing the windmill with a disc or hammer I could get the feeling for the interial burst going UP like this:

But I felt that wasn't correct for a disc because I want it to go 'out', that is why in my hammer swing in the video I'm doing more of a horizontal swing. Depending on when I pump I could feel where the momentum wanted to take the disc/hammer. I'll have to play with that when I get back out there.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:20 PM
Bogey Member

Got in the field for like 10 quick throws today. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Not focusing on making the disc go *out* and embracing the upwards trajectory of the natural non-flat swing plane was a very different feeling and made a very big difference. Don't have a good feel for distances but I'm confident I cleared 300 a few times with mid-range and leopard and once of them would have kept going but for slamming into a fence at the end of the field.

Along with not trying to keep things flat I was also focusing on the 'inside swing' and not bringing the disc out so wide and over my toes. Just analyzed the video and have my notes below. Probably won't be back out there if this east coast storm delivers the snow it is predicted to but not being afraid of throwing UP is a huuuggee game changer.

Videos - the ones from the rear were my first sets of throws. The side views were the noticeably better throws, after one I even audibly said "wow" to myself right after release.

Side View

Rear View

Power Pocket vs Will S

Release vs Will S

Improvements from last time:

Backswing:

Powerpocket:

Pre-release (man my previous form was ugly!)
The disc angle and plane is so different between these two

Follow through (no high five on this throw)

Old 01-28-2022, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

For some reason your vids freeze after 5 seconds but the audio still plays, but that doesn't really matter since we can see at least a throw each.

I think you are trying to twist your hips too much, you send your rear hip across your center and early extend/jump and front foot gets jerked off the ground while your head is still back. Note how Drew and I are looking directly at the hit/disc and centered on front leg with rear leg countering behind and pivot into the finish.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133543

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.01.34 PM.jpg (66.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-29-2022, 01:16 PM
Bogey Member

Weird about the videos - they were only one throw each so all the important parts are there.

As for your analysis - I see what you mean. Comparing to Will S again:

From his peak reachback to just past the power pocket his hip don't really move side to side and stay within his frame:

Compare to mine:
The rear hip has moved to the left and shifted my CoG further over my toes:

Resulting in that foot hop you called out:
The way the entirety of my weight is on my toe there makes it seem like I am almost falling over forward because of the hip moving my CoG and lack of rear leg counter balance.

Just messing around I think that when I incorporated the pump/windmill I was pushing more off the toes of my front foot to do so. This leads to the front hip going back (or to the right in a rear view image) more which then makes the rear hip twist forward. I can feel that keeping my weight over the middle of my foot when doing the pump let's me keep it more of a lateral motion and less of a twist.

Feels good to have made some noticeable progress though!

Old 05-02-2022, 01:52 PM
Bogey Member

It's finally frolfin' season again!

Played a few round recently and got some video to analyze this weekend. Excited to get back out there and make some progress!

Here is the video:

And here is a playlist with a few more throws and slo-mo (includes rear views)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZk...jtn3I5&index=1

Some of my observations and items to work on:

Improvements since last season:
* I'm completing the weight transfer to the front leg before the rest of the swing continues. This is a big improvement and it feels like I am waiting really long before the upper body and arm come through. Those comments in the 'free floating arm moment' thread finally makes sense.

* Head turn / placement seems better? At least different from last season, I'm able to throw straighter and aren't turning so far away from the target like I was previously.

(this is all how it feels to me, whether it actually is happening is always a question )

Improvements to be made:
* My throwing shoulder is all jacked up and raised during the throw. Should have level shoulders instead. <--- main thing I want to fix, I feel it is related to lack of high finish

* High-five follow through. It feels like I'm finishing really high but the video evidence does not confirm this

* Rear foot is not anywhere near perpendicular to the target, gotta fix that

* Off arm swim move. Just moving my body around I can really feel how the swim move forms the base of the whip and really sets up the arm to catapult forward. I was trying to incorporate it and felt like I was a little bit but again the video evidence shows otherwise. I'm swimming way too late most of the time and the motion is barely noticeable on film.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Work on just swinging your hanging left shoulder back and forth like Reciprocating Dingle Arm.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134415

Old 05-02-2022, 06:57 PM
Bogey Member

The ol' dingle arm!

Just did these real quick and could feel a difference. I still jammed up my shoulder a little when actually throwing though. Need to go watch the dingle arm video again and do some more experiments.

Thanks!