Old 12-02-2021, 09:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 77
Niced 720 Times in 335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
Just so I understand the no cash without a PDGA number rule:

I started playing tournaments in 2014, and then cashed a few times from 2015-2017. never had a PDGA membership though, always paid the $10 fee. Starting next year, I will need to have a PDGA membership (not necessarily pro level?) to be able to accept cash at the same tournaments as 2015-2017?
Correct. PDGA members would be classified as a pro after taking cash at those events. This helps ensure that all players are under the same restrictions after taking cash.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2021, 10:47 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 48
Courses Played: 479
Niced 3,592 Times in 1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Also doesn't mean anyone would ever enforce it as written.
Cool. So if you won't enforce that, I can have someone stand by the basket and complete my alley-oop style putts. It's the same violation.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,062 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Cool. So if you won't enforce that, I can have someone stand by the basket and complete my alley-oop style putts. It's the same violation.
I don’t think that’s what he’s suggesting. Your scenario is 2-3 strokes better than just saving a lost disc that still incurs an OB penalty.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 141
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 647 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Correct. PDGA members would be classified as a pro after taking cash at those events. This helps ensure that all players are under the same restrictions after taking cash.
that sux. i've played 1 or 2 sanctioned tournaments a year & cashed. i guess i won't be playing any more sanctioned tournaments... or maybe i'll finally join the pdga (don't really like the pace of tournaments anyway, just gives me another reason to not play)

Last edited by chevis; 12-02-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 122
Niced 5,231 Times in 1,937 Posts

Quote:
True. Not the same in terms of how humans interact however. Virtually no one is ever going to call a violation on someone preventing/requesting prevention of a disc from being lost in the drink. They will continue to do what has been done for years which is save the disc and have it played as if it finished its trip to a watery grave.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-02-2021, 12:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,289 Times in 720 Posts

Concerning the new rules....is the PDGA similar to the USGA, where they send the new rules book to the members (as part of their renewal package) when there is a major change?
Old 12-02-2021, 12:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 823 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
that sux. i've played 1 or 2 sanctioned tournaments a year & cashed. i guess i won't be playing any more sanctioned tournaments... or maybe i'll finally join the pdga (don't really like the pace of tournaments anyway, just gives me another reason to not play)
one of the nice things, as far as I understand it, is that you won't necessarily have to re-up your subscription in 2023 for the same reason.

"It does not require current membership, only that the person has a PDGA number."

So as it stands it's a one and done type thing

edit: on another note, not sure I can support the PDGA as long as heinold is the head of the board of directors. so I guess this rules change might end up just saving me $

Niced: (1)

Last edited by robdeforge; 12-02-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 757 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Old 12-02-2021, 01:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,289 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
one of the nice things, as far as I understand it, is that you won't necessarily have to re-up your subscription in 2023 for the same reason.

"It does not require current membership, only that the person has a PDGA number."

So as it stands it's a one and done type thing

edit: on another note, not sure I can support the PDGA as long as heinold is the head of the board of directors. so I guess this rules change might end up just saving me $
I was not going to renew my membership....I'm irritated that we don't get uDisc anymore - I'd even be happy with a $5 discount to uDisc pro...but we aren't getting it at all, but we are getting a discount to DGN which I don't care about nor want. But then the PDGA started requiring membership for A and B tier tournaments for 2022. I think they started that rule because they realized many members were irritated with the change and wouldn't renew. (based on comments when the change was proposed to members).

I'm not happy that my membership money is being used to prop-up a start-up network...especially after the fiasco that recently happened where viewers were shutout from seeing a playoff. I think more members used uDisc than watch DGN.

Old 12-02-2021, 01:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 823 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I was not going to renew my membership....I'm irritated that we don't get uDisc anymore - I'd even be happy with a $5 discount to uDisc pro...but we aren't getting it at all, but we are getting a discount to DGN which I don't care about nor want. But then the PDGA started requiring membership for A and B tier tournaments for 2022. I think they started that rule because they realized many members were irritated with the change and wouldn't renew. (based on comments when the change was proposed to members).

I'm not happy that my membership money is being used to prop-up a start-up network...especially after the fiasco that recently happened where viewers were shutout from seeing a playoff. I think more members used uDisc than watch DGN.
I think the biggest reason for requiring current membership for B-tiers is the explosion of popularity of the sport, which lead to many B-tiers selling out. inevitably SOME players at B-tiers weren't current members so current members felt like they were getting screwed over, which ignores the fact they presumably had exactly the same opportunity to sign up as non-PDGA members.

I think the better solution would be to offer registration to PDGA members first and then expand to non-PDGA members, but maybe there are some reasons that escape me as to why that's not doable or preferable