Old 12-03-2021, 04:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 40
Niced 1,019 Times in 401 Posts

To take the holing out wording change into absurdity, because, well, why the hell not.

B. In order to complete a hole with a basket target, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the tray or the chains below the chain support.

If I decide to make a new basket exactly the same as our usual DGUK Castle basket but with chains hanging on down through the cage towards the ground and another ring holding them at ground height this would still meet PDGA approval ( as far as I can see) and if the chains under the basket caught a disc this would count as holed out as per above wording?

It feels like a wording change to get rid of the issues with extremely rare wedged discs or discs balancing on the cage may have opened up more issues than it solves. Wedgies on new baskets are nigh on never happens so why are we writing rules for antiquated equipment which will be less and less used going forward, why not make the top level basket specs a bit more stringent instead to stop the issue?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2021, 04:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

I like the OB change, this is a good simplification.

With the mando rule change what happens to a disc that goes the right side, hits a tree, stops and rolls backwards through the restricted air space? Is this a penalty throw and rethrow/dropzone? or is this fine and you just need to make sure your next throw doesn't go through the restricted space. IE, is the restricted air space multidirectional or just one direction (throwing side only)
Old 12-03-2021, 04:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post

I'm not happy that my membership money is being used to prop-up a start-up network...especially after the fiasco that recently happened where viewers were shutout from seeing a playoff. I think more members used uDisc than watch DGN.
Not sure I follow? The PDGA aren't putting money towards the DGN (as far as I can tell) , the DGN is just giving a discount to the PDGA member as a marketing tool? What is different between this discount and the former UDisc one, if anything it's better as the PDGA must have been giving some money to UDisc for the free subscription albeit at a discounted price, (I've not looked at the PDGA accounts but I would assume that was the deal)

Why would UDisc need to give out free subscriptions anymore, their marketing worked and worked well, now they need to monetise the new users they bought in.

Finally the PDGA have enough of a carrot to effectively force membership, it would be a strange decision not to enforce membership for B and A tiers and allow C tiers to still work as the entrance level. Ratings are a helluva drug to most am players however much certain loud voices are shouting against them.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 77
Niced 720 Times in 335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
I like the OB change, this is a good simplification.

With the mando rule change what happens to a disc that goes the right side, hits a tree, stops and rolls backwards through the restricted air space? Is this a penalty throw and rethrow/dropzone? or is this fine and you just need to make sure your next throw doesn't go through the restricted space. IE, is the restricted air space multidirectional or just one direction (throwing side only)
If the disc travels any direction across the restricted space, the mandatory has been missed. The goal here was to make it simple and remove the need for a dozen different pictures to try to explain what is / isn't allowed.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
If the disc travels any direction across the restricted space, the mandatory has been missed. The goal here was to make it simple and remove the need for a dozen different pictures to try to explain what is / isn't allowed.
So yes it would be a penalty and rethrow/dropzone?
Old 12-03-2021, 07:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 77
Niced 720 Times in 335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
So yes it would be a penalty and rethrow/dropzone?
Yes it be penalty and relocate lie if you missed the mandatory from either direction.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,508 Times in 1,395 Posts

Well this has the potential to be abused:

Quote:
F. A disc that is questioned by another player or an Official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.
So if I want to be a royal PITA I could question every disc in a players bag and make them go find the TD for approval before they could begin play. If I were TD I'm not sure how I'd react - probably not in a positive manner lol. Good times.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post

So if I want to be a royal PITA I could question every disc in a players bag and make them go find the TD for approval before they could begin play. If I were TD I'm not sure how I'd react - probably not in a positive manner lol. Good times.
Round one, you've traipsed to the furthest out hole for a shotgun start, the two minute warning sounds and your main competition turns to you...."Hey you, your entire bag of discs are overweight."

I would suggest there is room for disqualification for that player however what do you do in the situation as their disqualification at a later stage doesn't mean you don't have to tee off in two minutes with no discs?
Old 12-03-2021, 08:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,044 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post

That exact wording got introduced to the rules in 2013 and hasn't changed since.

And the player can still throw the disc(s) in question. If the TD subsequently approves them, then they weren't illegal and they incur no penalty.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
That exact wording got introduced to the rules in 2013 and hasn't changed since.

And the player can still throw the disc(s) in question. If the TD subsequently approves them, then they weren't illegal and they incur no penalty.
Just made this realisation so ignore my above post. The call is to effectively timestamp when penalties would incur from, not to stop you using those discs. It's up to you to continue if you think they are fine. Or at least I think that's how the rule is meant?