Old 09-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,525 Times in 1,168 Posts

I went from Star Starfire to SPD for my FH driver b/c my FH sucked and I wanted something that wouldn't mask my flaws as well. The PD is a far superior driver in terms of versatility and distance but the Starfire is just ol' reliable. Really easy to S-curve so it makes it a better FH driver for wooded courses like somebody mentioned and now I'm contemplating putting it back in my bag. Great.

I'm waiting for garublador to dust off his login info to remind us that the Starfire was never anything special, it had a dumpy fade and was unpredictable at high speeds (especially into wind).
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 57
Niced 11 Times in 11 Posts

I have a Gstar Fartsire that's beefy, flat, and glideless. It's the only one I've tried. Maybe that's how they're supposed to be?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 74
Niced 162 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Neat.
Looks like bobby cooldaddyslickbreeze..
Old 09-21-2016, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,606 Times in 1,650 Posts

I think the Starfire, when worn in, has a little more HSS wiggle than the PD. But its dumpy fade brings it out of that, whereas a turned over powered PD will hold the flex for a long long time. The PD definitely is faster and more of a laser, whereas the Starfire slows down and dumps...it's better for placement. The PD throws more like a driver than the Thunderbird, for example, and the Starfire feels even more like a distance driver rim/flight than a PD (although I don't think it goes further at all). The Starfire I think holds a nice predictable hyzer and is easy to range. I much prefer the PD for forehands though, it's a dead straight laser, where the Starfire will slow down and sweep fade at the end. It's a good disc, I think more useful for placement shots than anything else, where a PD can be low lasers to pump out there, and a Thunderbird is for powered up stable fairway shots...for how I throw anyways. I'm sure the Starfires that Val throws are completely different after so much wear though, and hold long predictable lines.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,268 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
Looks like bobby cooldaddyslickbreeze..
Ha. Nice. Hadn't thought of that.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I'd actually say it's more like:

Brinster Teebird:Teebird as Starfire:Orc
That's a nice analogy, I like it.

Now the question is will these be the actual starfire mold or the SL mold? I always assumed that Val threw the SL's, but I don't know that for a fact.

I know that they technically OOP'd the SL mold but this is innova so they'll throw any stamp on anything.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 34
Niced 346 Times in 218 Posts

So without looking, does the disc say Valerie Jenkins or Doss? Or the worst option of all. Valerie Jenkins-Doss
Old 09-21-2016, 03:41 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 568
Niced 764 Times in 328 Posts

I don't disagree with the Starfire being OS and dumpy analogy, especially the Champs. Great for big hyzers. Nice for FH's.

Orcs cover most of the lines you guys are talking about with PD's. It's why I like the Orc/Starfire pairing so much.

Also, PD's are very run dependent.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
So without looking, does the disc say Valerie Jenkins or Doss? Or the worst option of all. Valerie Jenkins-Doss
It says Jenkins.

Innova put a nice ad for it in the player program/caddy book for the USWDGC that I got a sneak peak look at the other day. It's unfortunate that Val had to drop out of the event and might not see it (at least not this weekend).

Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 44
Niced 669 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil
Now the question is will these be the actual starfire mold or the SL mold? I always assumed that Val threw the SL's, but I don't know that for a fact.
I'm pretty sure she throws both; recall the Star SL is her tour series disc. According to the Innova dealer page, these are definitely Starfires; they even give the flight numbers as 10|4|0|3 which is the SF, not the SL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
It says Valerie Jenkins. I'm not sure she actually changed her name when they married. Certainly, she still seems to be referred to in tournament footage and so forth as Valerie Jenkins.