Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
With all due respect and understanding fear and all... I can only hope venomous snakes don't adopt a similar policy toward disc golfers (or people in general) invading what I can only assume they feel is their territory.

That said, I suppose I might well have a different take if I lived in a rural area, and there was a greater chance I could come across one hanging out in my barn, or otherwise what I felt was "my personal" territory.
I have had a dog bitten by a copperhead- he survived it but it was a really ugly deal. Nate's dog Zoe was a snake casualty as well- those Aussie snakes are super nasty. I also have had a live copperhead get rolled up into a bale of hay that I pulled off a wagon. I did not get bit but more through luck than anything else. Leaving them be in areas frequented by kids/dogs/me is somewhere just south of the equivalent of leaving a loaded gun laying around imo.

I have also been bitten by a good size rat snake but harbor no ill will towards them.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,049 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I have had a dog bitten by a copperhead- he survived it but it was a really ugly deal. Nate's dog Zoe was a snake casualty as well- those Aussie snakes are super nasty. I also have had a live copperhead get rolled up into a bale of hay that I pulled off a wagon. I did not get bit but more through luck than anything else. Leaving them be in areas frequented by kids/dogs/me is somewhere just south of the equivalent of leaving a loaded gun laying around imo.

I have also been bitten by a good size rat snake but harbor no ill will towards them.
Point taken. Part way through posting, I realized you and I don't live in similar situations.
You don't necessarily have to go out of your way to find them.

To your point: Australia doesn't seem to have any shortage of species that kill you, on land or in the water.
Tiger snakes, Brown snakes, Taipain, crocs, dingos, irukandji, Great Whites...

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 06-19-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 121 Times in 51 Posts

I was moving rocks on the mini course, my wife says 'be careful a snake might be under one'

Lol, sure honey, as if...

Next rock, flip over, boom red bellied black...never ran so flipping fast in my life.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Point taken. Part way through posting, I realized you and I don't live in similar situations.

To your point: Australia doesn't seem to have any shortage of species that kill you, on land or in the water.
You forgot red back spiders, box jellyfish, stone fish, and drop bears.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,049 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate22 View Post
You forgot red back spiders, box jellyfish, stone fish, and drop bears.
That's one dangerous island you live on..
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
That's one dangerous island you live on..
Without getting political, they all scare me less then guns

Old 06-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Par Member

Niced 87 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post

Its very rare for a dog to die of a copper head bite. less than 3% i think. Its an old dog or something else happens during the process that kills the dog and the bite will look ridiculous. Most get bit on the snout and you wouldn't think the animal would be able to survive by how bad the swelling can get. My yellow lab Madison used to carry her own pack when we went back packing and she always had Benydryl in her pack. She came within inches on 2 different occasions from getting bit. if your dog gets bit by a copperhead, he or she will probably be just fine but benydryl will help. For humans or dogs, sucking the poison out move is almost a complete waste of time and barely removes any of the venom. Staying as still as possible while other get you help is your best bet. You want to keep your heart rate way down if possible??

Old 06-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 87 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:

No doubt! The most deadliest creatures on the planet would have to be in Australia?? Sure you've got Banana Spiders and other crazy things in the south American rain forrest, Black mambas in Africa but Australia? That place has to be the deadliest continent on the planet?? maybe add the box jellyfish to the list? The funny thing about these places with all these deadly animals is that they're a 1000 times safer than Philly or Chicago?? LOL Our public schools are more dangerous than swimming with great whites off the coast in Australia? Crazy!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

Even weirder is the relative proximity of New Zealand which is snake free and only has a couple of venomous spiders which have made their way over from Australia.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,191 Times in 772 Posts

I saw two baby rat snakes on the course tonight and a medium snapping turtle trying to cross the road.

There was a huge king snake at the othe course I play a lot the other day acting pretty erratically, made me wonder if something was wrong with it. Moving over open ground haphazardly and very fast. About the fastest I’ve ever seen a snake that big go that wasn’t a black racer.