Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 528 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I think this is because there isn't a solid "convention" like Discmania & Prodigy. I can't imagine coming into the sport and trying to figure out Innova's or Discraft's discs at this point. How is a Leopard different than a Cheetah? Thunderbird vs T-bird vs Destroyer? Firebird & Ape? The names make no sense, which is why the flight numbers can help out newer players. But even then you need to learn what "glide, fade, & turn" are. But it is no different than any other sport's jargon.

What bothers me MOST is that Innova used to be the company with the animal names, then they started getting into mythical creatures (Ok, I guess)... BUT then they added things like Destroyer, Mirage, Wedge, Dart, TL, & Dominator. COME ON INNOVA. Stop messing with me. Pick a scheme.
Convention or not a new player needs to learn all of that stuff. Prodigy can make sense to someone that understands glide and HSS and fade, then learns the discs but that is just gibberish numbers to a new player.

Innova had a theme, but simply throwing in too many discs into the mix made that hard to maintain I think.

Dynamic Discs is funny because it ALMOST seems like there is a method to the naming as far as parts of the justice system and good guys vs bad guys over stable to understable, and putters vs mids vs drivers... but then look deeper and nope no real convention at all.

I don't think any of them are easier or harder to understand it is all just what you get familiar with.
Funny I just looked and Discraft still has the Hawk. My first disc. I thought it went OOP years ago just because it was confusing if it were a Discraft or Innova disc
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,054 Times in 487 Posts

I call shenanigans. Innova could have continued with their animal line without a problem forever. Innova and Discraft should swap out the Hawk & Starfire and call it a day.

But I do agree, you just have to learn the discs and what they each do regardless of the manufacturer. And then Discraft decided to go all insecty things for their midranges. And Innova has the Skeeter that they introduced in 06 (after the buzz & wasp).

Sometimes I think these companies just do it to spite each other and confuse the customer.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,605 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Dynamic Discs is funny because it ALMOST seems like there is a method to the naming as far as parts of the justice system and good guys vs bad guys over stable to understable, and putters vs mids vs drivers... but then look deeper and nope no real convention at all.
If you go by speed class then they seem on a similar-ish level as you said putters vs. mids vs. drivers, but I don't think the stability really matters for good vs. bad like you said. Just saying there seems to be a method rather than just legal-ish names at random.

But Judge/Warden, then Truth/Verdict/Justice then Convict/Felon/Criminal/Escape then Defender/Enforcer/Sheriff/Captain.

At this point there are just so many names that it gets pretty complicated. Then couple that with a lot of people associating the 3 brands together and the plastics that are the same but with different names...it can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes to recall exact discs.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 731 Times in 392 Posts

All the more reason to just stick to one brand....

Niced: (1)
Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyj View Post
Since we are moving on to pizza, New Haven has the best pizza, BBQ pizza shouldn't exist, and pineapple doesn't belong on pizza.
Never been to Hew Haven, so can't say one way or the other.

But the rest of your statement is spot on. BBQ pizza says to me "I don't make good pizza so I have to be different to cover it up". It is both an affront to pizza and BBQ. Pineapple I don't like, but I do not have as strong feelings about it.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 169
Niced 2,521 Times in 1,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You had Montreal style bagels? I haven't been to NY but I much prefer the dense Montreal style to the bread shaped like donuts style. That said some of the NY style bagels that have a little texture to the outside of them are pretty good, and I'm fully aware I haven't had the real thing til I've been to NY. And I need to have that pizza for real too.
Bagels don't do much for me. I'm pretty low-carb these days so I don't eat a lot of bread heavy foods much unless it might be really good, like the only good pizza place within an hour of me.

NC Piedmont is quite bad for NYC pizza also.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,144 Times in 694 Posts

I fully support pepperoni and pineapple pizza. In fact, I just ordered one.

Thanks, DGCR!

Old 12-07-2018, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,255 Times in 678 Posts

I order thin crust, with pineapple and onion. I always keep tins of kippers or sardines in the cabinet. I throw that on. It's like a sweeter version of pizza from the Adriatic.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 34
Niced 346 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I fully support pepperoni and pineapple pizza. In fact, I just ordered one.

Thanks, DGCR!
You posted that at 10:53.

AM...

Old 12-07-2018, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,144 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
You posted that at 10:53.